Subject: Are there any reviews or videos of how coop/solo works? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mario Alegre
Puerto Rico
San Juan
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
I'm trying to find out how coop/solo mode works, but I can't seem to find any reviews or videos. Not even a rulebook. I was thinking of buying Set Rotation to teach my son how to play, but I'd like to know how different it is from the core game. Help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of it as 1/3 of the core game, against an opponent who plays cards randomly. The deckbuilding phase does not involve collection scoring (unless a special power says otherwise) but is otherwise very similar. It is still timed. You get to look through the boss deck, and the accessories are revealed randomly with the Meta.

If you think your son would get into the deckbuilding aspect of the game, it might be a good choice. It's possible to bend the rules here and remove the timed aspect of the deckbuilding phase because you eventually get to a point where you've spent all your cash and just have to decide on a deck to play.

The boss decks can be very difficult, especially if you've had trouble finding good cards in a single deckbuilding phase. The game is very good at ruining your best-laid plans, moreso than human opponents might be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oeil danslabouche
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's pretty cool indeed, with the possibility to adjust the difficulty and to play all the bosses one after one in a campaign mode.

Not the same feeling than in a multi-player game, but a nice game mode to learn the game !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Johnson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with piman. I kinda wanted it to be a more friendly way to introduce the game to people, maybe faster. The problem is you realize how much those little cut things and interactions add up and just leave the game feeling incomplete. It's not a game I would refuse to play but I will take regular over it any day of the week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree in that I would take regular MB over boss mode any day of the week.

HOWEVER, the number of times I have 1-4 friends interested in playing regular MB for two hours, in a year, can be counted on one hand. The number of times I have 0-4 friends willing to invest 45 minutes in a boss fight, in a week, is probably equal to that first number.

Boss mode's "minigame" aspect takes the game from less than 5 plays per year to 9 plays in three weeks for me. Some of that number can be attributed to "new hotness", but if I can average 3-4 plays per month moving forward I'm happily getting it to the table much more frequently. It may not have all the bells and whistles, but it has enough to scratch the itch.

(To put it in CCG terms, you can only go to so many tournaments in a year, at least before Friday Night Magic was a thing. Playing casual games with a friend isn't the same experience, but it tides you over and helps you keep thinking about aspects of the game's strategy.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.