Subject: Leader minis? How difficult to touch up? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ola Mikael Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm tempted by the leader minis, but feel that in plain gray plastic, they're not worth the extra cost, compared with the colourful leader stand-ups.

I haven't done any painting or other miniature stuff in a long time (and back then, it was all metal minis, not plastic ones) and never really enjoyed painting minis much.

So, how difficult would it be to give these ones a quick touch-up with a wash or similar? Would that be enough to bring out more detail and make them look nicer? And could one use different colour washes for the different sides (that would be, one colour for Alfred and one for the rest, as far as I understand it)?

Hoping somebody with more experience with plastic minis can give me advice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reeves
United States
Georgetown
TX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ola,

The first step with painting plastic figures is to wash them in soapy, warm water to remove the injection mold oils. These oils will cause your paint job to bubble and peal -- basically ruined.

For something simple and fast, just a wash with a transparent ink will bring out details. I use WonderWash. Even with just a wash, I would recommend a light coat of polyurethane sealer so the wash is not sticky or rubs off with handling.

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Densham
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do whatever Dave says. His level of painting is well beyond me.

All I do with plastic figures is paint them with black acrylic, wait till they dry, and then paint away with more acrylic.

I might add the washing step prior to the black bath, as I've had bubbling issues at times.

They look fine to me, but I'm certain if you have to judge, you'd like Dave's better!

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TeknoMerk wrote:
Ola,

The first step with painting plastic figures is to wash them in soapy, warm water to remove the injection mold oils. These oils will cause your paint job to bubble and peal -- basically ruined.

For something simple and fast, just a wash with a transparent ink will bring out details. I use WonderWash. Even with just a wash, I would recommend a light coat of polyurethane sealer so the wash is not sticky or rubs off with handling.

David

This is good advice. One extra step however, I recommend you prime the minis before you paint them with the wash.

Steps:

1.) Clean with warm soapy water
2.) Let dry
3.) Spray Prime the minis
4.) Let dry (overnight is best)
5.) Paint them/wash them. Wash in this case is a type of watered down paint, NOT soapy water

One other thing of note: The minis come with stickers, so you should be able to identify the leaders based on those if you don't want to paint them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another nice option is to prime, basecoat in the faction color, and then wash in a slightly darker color (inking would be easiest), then briefly drybrush in a slightly brighter nations color to make the details really pop. As you can see below, this minimalist approach produces a really great effect.

BGG user Paramar did this with his War of the Ring miniatures. It's another war game than utilizes 15mm miniatures. He also used a brighter basecoat/drybrush color to make the leader units stand out from the regular troop miniatures. It's worth noting that the minis in War of the Ring are shipped in two colors, Blue for the Free Peoples and Red for the Shadow forces. This BGG user just took it a step further to really differentiate the different nations. I'd like to do the same for the 878 miniatures, except I'll simply use the four faction colors the game already designated to avoid any rules confusion.

Southron and Easterling Faction

Northerners Faction

Isengard Faction

Orc Faction

Elves Faction

Dwarves Faction

Gondor Faction

Rohan Faction
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.