Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
N F
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Hi BGG,

I'm interested to learn from the community how readily FF keeps the catalogue of expansions in print? Can you get your hands on old packs and boxes fairly easily?

I ask because I'm getting into Arkham Horror LCG, and they are currently on the first cycle of deluxe boxes and packs. These are selling out immediately or going for double MSRP on sites like Amazon. I'm trying to decide if I can wait for craze to die down and pick up reprints later on. I thought hearing about FF's practices with an established LCG would go me decide.

Thanks for any input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Elliott
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All current LCGs are fully in print at this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
The scalpers charging double are probably people who don't know how LCGs work. Netrunner and LotR are the classic best-sellers, and AH is the new one - all three get constant reprints. Sometimes four cores per year, always a few expansions in the queue.

Netrunner is about to enter a purge, so the first two cycles won't be reprinted after that though. They've just barely been re-released with clamshell packaging (saw a few on shelves here), but at the end of the current cycle they're no longer tournament-legal, and will go out of print.

Everything tournament-legal will continue to be printed as long as there's enough interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian George
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gnurf wrote:
The scalpers charging double are probably people who don't know how LCGs work. Netrunner and LotR are the classic best-sellers, and AH is the new one - all three get constant reprints. Sometimes four cores per year, always a few expansions in the queue.

Netrunner is about to enter a purge, so the first two cycles won't be reprinted after that though. They've just barely been re-released with clamshell packaging (saw a few on shelves here), but at the end of the current cycle they're no longer tournament-legal, and will go out of print.

Everything tournament-legal will continue to be printed as long as there's enough interest.

I haven't seen anywhere where they said the non-tournament legal sets were going out print. Where did you get that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N F
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
That's very helpful information. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
georgeofjungle3 wrote:
I haven't seen anywhere where they said the non-tournament legal sets were going out print. Where did you get that?

I may be misreading something then, but it seems everybody got the impression that cycles 1+2 are going out of print. It would make sense too, making room for a fixed number of sets at the printer within each rotation. Guess we'll have to wait till summer to see what they end up doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian George
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could see it both ways, because there will always be collectors. I could see them going into a much more infrequent reprint schedule for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought they were moving to POD. That's how I recall it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Billings
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BathTubNZ wrote:
I thought they were moving to POD. That's how I recall it.

Untrue. When Spin and Genesis rotate, they will go out of print and they've never said they'd go to POD.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2014/11/5/when-ne...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian George
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That page doesn't say anything about them going out of print, it just talks of them being removed from the card pool. In that context I read card pool as those cards legal for play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Aitken
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah. It's understandable to infer that, but nowhere does it say what will happen. They could go POD, or they could go with a cycle box set. So far nothing has been said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think FFG has had it happen before that expansions were temporarily unavailable when they were initally very popular, but FFG always has reprinted them.

All Netrunner packs are definitely still available in principle, and I think the same is true for The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game (again, with temporary interruptions).

I also assume (without proof) that after rotation they will stop printing the rotated packs -- after all, the main purpose of rotation is to keep the card pool at a manageable size, both for players looking to enter the game, and for the company itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dstinct wrote:
Yeah. It's understandable to infer that, but nowhere does it say what will happen. They could go POD, or they could go with a cycle box set. So far nothing has been said.
Print on demand could be a cool thing for people who really want to get the "retro" stuff, I think!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:

All Netrunner packs are definitely still available in principle, and I think the same is true for The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game (again, with temporary interruptions).

LotR is a co-op game which never will see rotation though. It's different than a duel game where official tournament rules forbid cards.

They also talked about going print on demand for Call of Cthulhu, but I never saw it happen. I'll remain hopeful but skeptical

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Billings
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been clarified in interviews with FFG staff that once the cycles rotate they are gone for good, no longer available in any form.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.