23 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Confessions of a Games Addict rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
Are you one of those that are addicted to board games or any type of games for that matter?

I started Euro gaming a short while ago and my collection has exploded.

I've always like playing video and computer games and all Ameritrash from years back too.

These days, I look at kickstarter and there are tons of add ons to games which make the price go up exponentially. The add ons are nice but of course not necessary. Still a game collector or enthusiast will want them.

Every month there is a new fantastic game that sells out quickly. It really fuels the anxiety.

This is a serious Question. How does one control their spending other than not having money or a nagging spouse?

I know it's a matter of self discipline which I find lately I am lacking.

I really have to put a cap on this as I got more games than I can play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Way Out There...
mbmbmbmbmb
2017 Challenge: Play 10 Games 10 Times Each
The 100 Play Challenge: In Support of Deeper Exploration of Games (Update: Now with GeekGold!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rueben the sandwich
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reality sets in after you actually get to play all the games you own. There's no requirement that you purchase the game that's "supposed to" replace the previous game. Plenty of people just get burnt out on the prospect of learning yet another new game. Also, it is likely that there are other board game players that can fill the collection gaps and save you the money of buying every conceivable game. I am working on selling my collection overlap. I still look in the hot deals section, but I'm more selective. I'm past the top of the arc of buying too many damned games, which seems to be a natural pattern for most folks who get into the hobby.
Full disclosure: I have a 3 year old and a 9 month old. My free time is precious. Playing games I already know with other people who already know is a big benefit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
let's go.
badge
no laws in ceres... just cops.
mbmbmbmbmb
Start playing your games solo. When you want to go and buy new games, instead play one of your existing games.

At the very least, when you want to get something new, just go and get one of your existing games out and teach yourself to play it.

There are so many games, and you will never play them all. You will never own them all. That's okay though-- you'll find out what sort of games you actually like rather than riding the hype train for every game that comes out.

All that being said, I'm not saying you should never get new games. Sometimes really cool new games come out that might fill a niche you don't have (and would actually play)... but a lot of times they won't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Some general tips to curb spending:

-Set yourself a budget by making a game-buying fund where you add a set amount of money to it every week or month. The amount depends on what you're comfortable with, but keep in mind that if you're spending too much now, your budget should be much lower than what you currently spend

-stick to your budget--you might not have the money for a game now, but over the next week/month you'll accumulate enough for it. Don't worry about games getting OOP; games that are new will almost certainly have a second printing if they're selling like hotcakes, and while you wait you can play the many other games you have

-keep track of what you buy, and how much money you've spent, in a spreadsheet or similar (you can list them in BGG as well). This may act as a natural inhibitor as you can easily see how many games you have, may remind you of games you bought that you had forgotten about, and by seeing them all in once place you'll be amazed by their sheer number and be reminded why you wanted to stop buying so many games in the first place

-stop browsing Kickstarter. I see the value in KS, but if you're looking to curb spending, it is a BAD place to go. Not only is everything based around buying and hype, but you also don't get anything right away so you're spending the money without having the satisfaction of playing the game. The buying high won't last as long, the purchase won't feel "real", and the money spent won't feel concrete

-here's a geeklist of other BGGers who also want to curb their purchasing (note: you don't have to COMPLETELY stop buying, but it's about setting personal goals, and seeing like-minded people doing the same): Public commitment: Not buying new games in 2017

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you are somewhat new to gaming, you don't need to look at KS much. There are TONS of amazing games that are 5-20 years old that can be found cheaper than any new KS game. Besides, a new game is unproven. What are the odds that it is a "classic"? Stay with tried and true games with tons of reviews, and far less hype, and you'll save yourself a lot of money. With that said, I'm going to check out the latest news the Gloomhaven reprint KS...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
How does one control their spending other than not having money or a nagging spouse?

If you're not running out of money and nobody is complaining...what's the problem?

Pete (hasn't encountered one yet)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Oiler1 wrote:
How does one control their spending other than not having money or a nagging spouse?

If you're not running out of money and nobody is complaining...what's the problem?

Pete (hasn't encountered one yet)

The problem isn't from an external source, the OP himself thinks there is a problem. I think it's good that he's being self-reflective about this BEFORE it starts to affect his finances/relationships

People are built different ways; for me personally, I own 50 games and have a hard cap of around 60. This hard cap may increase a tad as time goes on, but having significantly more than that would cause me stress even though I have the money and space for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Be realistic about how many times you're really likely to play the game.

(And avoid kickstarter hyped games on principle.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan N

Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I personally set a budget. Also I have people who will hold me accountable because they have a stake in me sticking to it. I have setup 'punishments' in the form of having to spend the amount over my budget on my wife or if I buy several more games when I am already over budget I have to contribute to the kids college fund. So far I have gone through half my budget. The years just about over, right? cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate waisting money! I do so much research before a purchase and usually talk myself out of most purchases. I tend not to buy new games because I like there to be a lot of reviews first. Kickstarter, forget about it, it brakes all my rules and I've never bothered with it.

This year I signed up for the no new games group and set some restrictive rules for myself. I could only pay for new purchases with funds from sold games. So far I bought $420 worth of games and sold $200 worth of games. I still have more than enough games for sale to make back that money but my problem is the Hilinski Crokinole board that I want!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the best advice folks have offered is play the games!

I've been playing hobby board games for 40 years but in the last 5 I went on a bit of a spree. A lot of the usual reasons, getting the collector bug, not wanting to miss out, etc. One thing that has helped me is playing the darn things. You play a game and you realize "oh, that's ok I guess, but I really kinda regret purchasing it." For me, at least, it started to put new purchases in perspective. I was learning more about what I liked and didn't like, as well as more about the disappointments of the Kickstarter frenzy.

You might also list all the games you own on BGG. First, this is fun for us because we get to see what you own! Second, it puts down in black and white just exactly how many games you have. That list can be a splash of cold water. Along with this, rate your games. Seeing all my unrated games is a nice reminder of how many games I have not yet played and maybe I shouldn't buy any more for a bit.

Other suggestions like budget and so forth are also good ideas.

Whatever you do, ignore Pete. He just wants the rest of us to join him in his 1000+ collection so he doesn't feel so lonely there at the top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:

Whatever you do, ignore Pete. He just wants the rest of us to join him in his 1000+ collection so he doesn't feel so lonely there at the top.
I don't care how many games you buy, or how few. My concern is people should just not worry about it so damned much.

Pete (doesn't care if you have 5 or 5000, but does care if it's causing you stress either way)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
skutsch wrote:

I don't care how many games you buy, or how few. My concern is people should just not worry about it so damned much.

Pete (doesn't care if you have 5 or 5000, but does care if it's causing you stress either way)

I think there should be a new stat on BGG: The Pete Rating, being the percentage of games that you own that Pete doesn't own. (Doing a quick scan my percentage is pretty high. Really Pete, no Concordia?!?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every time you buy a game that doesn't get to the table in the next three months disallow yourself from buying games for three months over that.

Not only will that reduce your spending, it will also make you consider which games you do buy more carefully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B K
United States
flag msg tools
There are a number of good suggestions. I will echo the ones around being diligent up front before buying. Watch walkthroughs. Watch a review or two. Read another review or two. Try to get both positive and negative viewpoints and scan the message board for hot topics that will either positively or negatively influence your view of the game. Doing that upfront will eliminate spur of the moment purchases and give you the best chance to buy games you will like. If you are trying to minimize your purchases, you will want to minimize the instances of buyers remorse.

The other suggestion I have is to specifically identify why you are concerned about this so that you can put these suggestions in the appropriate context (no need to post on a message board). Is it money that is the factor? In that case suggestions around a budget may be the most appropriate. Is it more a space issue? If so, suggestions related to carving out a certain amount of space and enforcing game culling may be more appropriate. You may also need to understand what is and isn't acceptable to a spouse and factor that in. I keep a relatively small game count because (i) I have high standards as to what I feel is worth the time to play and (ii) I don't want games I don't play cluttering my house. Diligence and charitable donations are my solution. Yours may be very different. If you don't actually have any issues, you may end up being someone with a 1,000+ game collection and there isn't necessarily a problem with that unless there is a problem with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan B.
United States
Shelby Township
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stop buying games and start trading games. You usually get a game for a game instead of increasing you simply replace. You can then feel the new game euphoria and still spend minimally. Every so often treat yourself with a new game and then head right back to the trading block.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
Germflinger wrote:

^^^^ Really helped me a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Buy a house. Mortgage will sober you up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
skutsch wrote:

I think there should be a new stat on BGG: The Pete Rating, being the percentage of games that you own that Pete doesn't own. (Doing a quick scan my percentage is pretty high. Really Pete, no Concordia?!?)
Concordia has not yet crossed my event horizon.

Pete (doesn't really pursue games so much as he captures then when they enter his zone of control)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
Every time you buy a game that doesn't get to the table in the next three months disallow yourself from buying games for three months over that.

Not only will that reduce your spending, it will also make you consider which games you do buy more carefully.
So you're artificially going to stress yourself out about both buying games and playing them?

Pete (wonders if y'all are trying to eliminate the fun altogether)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexFS wrote:

Buy a house. Mortgage will sober you up.
Don't forget kids!

Pete (had a lot more dough before they came along)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
So you're artificially going to stress yourself out about both buying games and playing them?

Pete (wonders if y'all are trying to eliminate the fun altogether)

Only buying games I'm going to play doesn't stress me out at all.

That's the difference I think.

My fun is playing games.

Your fun is buying games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.