Alfy Burger
Mali
Bamako
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

A question about objectives like the dugout where you have to clear all hostiles: what happens if you draw rearmost hostiles, like stragglers? I assume the actual goal is to clear the objective card, not necessarily kill all drawn enemies. But then what's to stop me from trying to pull enemies away from the objective by moving my targeted soldiers back?

I'm not sure if I missed some wording, but I feel the rules are not entirely tight here. Actually, I do feel that way for most of the game: I really wish there was a proper rewrite before more stuff came out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
You have to kill any that 'start' in the Objective Card, even if they move off the Objective. You can't draw them off the Objective and win without eliminating them. Explanation is in the Keyword "Eliminate Hostiles".

That explanation suggests you wouldn't have to kill Stragglers, since they don't 'start' on the card? But that's not crystal clear.

I play that you have to eliminate any drawn by the activation of the Objective Card, whether they are Stragglers or Ambushers or what have you. Otherwise, it makes the Objective a lot easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ball
United Kingdom
Nr Grantham
Lincs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Asked a similar question because I had situation that no hostiles in dug out. David says only those that start or later enter must be eliminated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David in Sydney (now in Coffs)
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
G'day all,

Keyword
Eliminate Hostiles - There must be no Hostile cards in the
Objective at the end of a Soldier Turn. Hostiles that start in
the Objective card must still be Killed, even if they move out
of the Objective card.

If when you activate the objective and all the hostiles were placed in other locations - so that there were not Hostiles in the Objective - you win!

If when you activate the objective and all the hostiles were placed in the objective - and then reinforcements were placed in the objective and any hostiles entered the objective - then every one of those Hostiles will need to be eliminated before you can claim success.

Hint: When you activate the objective and draw hostiles - put a marker (such as a soldier wound marker) on all Hostiles that are placed in that location. Do the same with any reinforcements that are placed in the Objective - these must all be killed to win. Oh and at the end of the Soldier Turn the Objective must be clear of hostiles.

Does that help?

Any other questions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfy Burger
Mali
Bamako
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not realize Eliminate Hostiles was a keyword... So yes, it's very clear now, thanks for that.

If I may, I guess it's too late for Warfighter but perhaps for futur games: use a different font for keywords (see Magic cards), so players can easily make the difference between keywords and actual language. It's especially important in a card game that uses keywords that look like natural language: players will just read them like instructions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David in Sydney (now in Coffs)
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AlfyB wrote:
I did not realize Eliminate Hostiles was a keyword... So yes, it's very clear now, thanks for that.

If I may, I guess it's too late for Warfighter but perhaps for futur games: use a different font for keywords (see Magic cards), so players can easily make the difference between keywords and actual language. It's especially important in a card game that uses keywords that look like natural language: players will just read them like instructions.

Great Idea!

I'll pass it on to Dan!

Many thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Pattaya
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a wonderful recommendation. I second it wholeheartedly. I think the lack of bold text on Keywords coupled with such "natural language" tripped me up 2 or 3 times. The example that comes to mind immediately is "Bolt Action". I never expected that to be a Keyword. Now I try to double check every word on the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.