Hide
7 Posts

Caverna: The Cave Farmers» Forums » General

Subject: Maximum Components for 2P Caverna? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Palau Life
msg tools
Thanks to a deal a few days ago, I finally got this wonderful game. However, we only will play it solo or 2P. As such, I am wondering if any fellow BGGers could help me out?

I am wondering if anyone might be able to let me know the maximum components needed for a 2P game (broadly speaking). The game comes with enough tiles and components for 7P but we don't want to lug this around. We've got a few different Plano boxes and I'd love to have a small Caverna kit with enough pieces for 2P. Due to the nature of the game, I understand there's probably not an exact number.

We'll of course be playing many rounds of the game and will come to our own decision, but I was wondering if anyone who has played this a lot at 2P may have some input? Thank you in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dok Indigo
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Are you going to give away the components that you do not need? Or are you planning to keep them somewhere else, just not with the game?

When I think about it, why don't you play a few games and decide after that what to keep?

In my experience (around ten 2 player games), you will need around 20 sheep, 16 pig, 16 donkeys and less than 10 cows. 10-15 dogs.

Other ressources is harder. Probably not more than 15 wood. Stone and ore depend on the buildings getting build, 10 to 20+. Around 10 rubies.

20+ wheat and 15 vegetables, probably more if those get hoarded due to buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Palau Life
msg tools
Thank you so much, this is type of guideline I was looking for. We'll absolutely keep the game pieces and will play some games ourselves to gauge things. We just wanted to make a 2P kit to bring with us instead of hauling around a half-stone box

I was just wanting to get others' opinions from their 2P games! The more data/input the better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Yang
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, for starters, choose your 2 favourite player colours to keep. Also cut out all the player boards and action boards you don't need for a 2 player game. That alone should save you a significant amount of weight.

I would also say you can lose half of the larger double-tiles for the field/crops and caverns. Half of the farm animals, wheat and vegetables, wood and stone.

The ore, rubies, food, etc are so small and near weightless that they wouldn't be much in the way anyway.

Depending on your playing style, you may not need too many coins.

Do keep the multiplier tiles just in case your action spaces accumulate more resources than you have available (since you're cutting them).

As for building tiles you could cut the dwellings down by at least half. If you're confident you won't be using the advanced building tiles, you could remove those as well.

That should make packing a lot easier. But like Dok Indigo said, do try a few games and see for yourself to fine tune the amounts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hexendoktor wrote:
10-15 dogs.]

Really? It's rare we ever have more than 1-3 per player.

Do you play that they breed? I'm pretty sure they aren't supposed to. But that's the only way I can imagine someone needing that many. Unless you just really like dogs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dok Indigo
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:
Hexendoktor wrote:
10-15 dogs.]

Really? It's rare we ever have more than 1-3 per player.

Do you play that they breed? I'm pretty sure they aren't supposed to. But that's the only way I can imagine someone needing that many. Unless you just really like dogs.

We are using the space where you get a dog and get to build a room often. It is used almost every turn, that alone are around 10 dogs. Maybe 15 is a bit much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hexendoktor wrote:

When I think about it, why don't you play a few games and decide after that what to keep?

This.

Different strategies can use extraordinary amounts of resources. We play Caverna at all player counts, but by far my friend and I play the most and therefore have a lot of 2p games. We have had a lot of fun trying wonky strategies. And sometimes we use enough resources that they'd never be sufficient at higher player counts.

All this being said, I wouldn't remove anything from the game except the stuff used specifically at higher player counts. This being the extra player boards, possibly the dwarves of all but two colors, the game boards/cards that are used exclusively at higher player counts. Beyond this I'd keep the resources as is. You're not conceding much space by keeping them.

Frankly I don't see a need for removing anything in this game regardless of player counts. The box is more than adequate even with Planos and sleeved cards. If everything is organized it's very simple to set up at any player count.

Moreover, you're not really thinning the game out that much by removing the 3+ player count specific items.

But, whatever floats your boat. And, as quoted above, play the game a few times at 2P and see what, if anything, you feel the need to remove.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.