Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Diego Whitetower
Spain
Málaga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys!

I've just played the first two scenarios and I'm a bit disappointed with the game...

I've read that they are REALLY unabalanced, and besides that, I find that the game (at least this two scenarios) strongly encourage turtling for the side that has to defend. As there is no limit to the number of gems you can spend in the guard action, sometimes is nearly imposible to hit an enemy (only when the defender rolls really bad).

Also I find that the blocking ability contributes a lot to cut down the fun of the game, making that some heroes can only roll dice and wait in their turns, while the overlord spend a lot of gems to defend (that's specially with the snake in the first scenario).

Am I missing something? Isn't always better to save gems to defend and win by time (even though it's an horrible way to play, but I think the game should have mechanisms to avoid it).

Thank you very much!

Pd: Please excuse me for any spelling mistakes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasenko Pasic
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Sarajevo
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
illokpasa wrote:
Hi guys!

I've just played the first two scenarios and I'm a bit disappointed with the game...

I've read that they are REALLY unabalanced, and besides that, I find that the game (at least this two scenarios) strongly encourage turtling for the side that has to defend. As there is no limit to the number of gems you can spend in the guard action, sometimes is nearly imposible to hit an enemy (only when the defender rolls really bad).

Also I find that the blocking ability contributes a lot to cut down the fun of the game, making that some heroes can only roll dice and wait in their turns, while the overlord spend a lot of gems to defend (that's specially with the snake in the first scenario).

Am I missing something? Isn't always better to save gems to defend and win by time (even though it's an horrible way to play, but I think the game should have mechanisms to avoid it).

Thank you very much!

I have played only 3 scenarios, and never had that issue. Sure, things are more or less unbalanced, but in this game I find that charming.
Can't imagine playing Conan, turtle to win, and being proud of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, turtling has never succeeded in my games. The time limit and Conan's sheer killing power makes even the most powerful monsters crumble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Paruman
South Africa
Midrand
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which 2 scenarios are you referring to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diego Whitetower
Spain
Málaga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clutches of the Pits and Hunting the Tigress
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diego Whitetower
Spain
Málaga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nuuq wrote:

Can't imagine playing Conan, turtle to win, and being proud of it. :)

No, as I said, I don't find it a funny way to play, but I think that a well designed game should have mechanisms to avoid that kind of play.

Thank you for the answer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
illokpasa wrote:
Nuuq wrote:

No, as I said, I don't find it a funny way to play, but I think that a well designed game should have mechanisms to avoid that kind of play.

You know Shevatas isn't affected by blocking, because he has "Evasive," right? Hadrathus can also get out of Blocking with the Teleportation spell. Conan with his Battle Axe and a full five-gem attack should be able to dispatch the Snake relatively quickly. If the OL is putting all his gems in defending the snake, that means he's leaving everything else undefended. It's all about choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
They're winnable for the heroes, even if the OL uses a shitty turtling strategy.
Turtling on the 1st & 2nd scenarios is like the Scholar's mate in chess: when you don't know it, it seems unbeatable. But it definitely is not.

Just try other strategies for the heroes, to find the right one (or look here in the BGG forums, there are several threads about it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diego Whitetower
Spain
Málaga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you guys! We'll keep trying!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zsolt
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In this scenario, the make or break for the heroes can often be how quickly they locate the princess. If found early the heroes tend to win in my experience but if found late it is much harder. With Conan the snake is a delaying factor at best. Careful use of the Pict Warriors can be a better tactic. They can be reinforced and will stop Conan and either of the other heroes if they are carrying the princess. They are great for delaying movement.

In my experience over defending means the OL is a bit light on for gems by the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Cooper
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DancingFool wrote:
illokpasa wrote:
Nuuq wrote:

You know Shevatas isn't affected by blocking, because he has "Evasive," right? Hadrathus can also get out of Blocking with the Teleportation spell. Conan with his Battle Axe and a full five-gem attack should be able to dispatch the Snake relatively quickly. If the OL is putting all his gems in defending the snake, that means he's leaving everything else undefended. It's all about choices.

Also keep in mind you may throw objects. We completed the mission with a hail-Mary pass of the bad guy's head!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Pict scenario, I think you need to kill the enemy chieftain asap. Of course you're checking huts as well, but it's very difficult to leave the chieftain for last, because the overlord can pile the snake and extra warriors in front of him and make it impossible to reach him in time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zsolt
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I leave Conan to kill the chieftain and let the others locate the princess. Once located the others can be used to help Conan. Hadrathus' Lightning Storm spell can be a big help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Bedz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me... This is not skirmish. Those scenarios have some goals, different for each side. So when one player has an objective "defend" and the other player is "attacker" this is normal to "turtle" or... defend
If You are looking for "balanced" game for 2 players/teams - try some skirmish games like Nexus Ops. Everyone has the same goal, same(ish) units etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clutches of the Picts favours the OL and Hunting the Tigress favours the Heroes. That is not to say that both sides cannot win, but there is certainly bias.

Remember, in Clutches, Shevatas loses Evade if he carries the princess and Hadrathus can no longer cast spells if he carries her (due to encumberance).
Also, Conan cannot Wall-Wreck a stone wall. These, coupled with an OL ploughing gems to keep the snake alive and blocking Conan, gives the heroes a tough job.

They get their own back in Tigress though; a turtling Belit and Conan and Shevatas leaping across to kill Zaporavo (as both of those heroes are totally expendable) means the OL must splut his gems between trying to kill Belit and keeping Zaporavo alive (if Zap dies the Skuthus cannot summon the demon as he kills himself to do it).

TLDR; play scenario 3; it is better balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CardboardAnt wrote:

Just as an FYI to those that may be unaware: Monolith updated both Hunting the Tigress and the third scenario for the updated Overlord rule book v.2.0. If you go to Monolith's site you can download them from the scenarios page. I haven't had a chance to try them yet, but presumably they're better balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diego Whitetower
Spain
Málaga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played the third scenario yesterday and yes, it is better balanced. We finish the gane with very good feelings. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DancingFool wrote:
CardboardAnt wrote:

Just as an FYI to those that may be unaware: Monolith updated both Hunting the Tigress and the third scenario for the updated Overlord rule book v.2.0. If you go to Monolith's site you can download them from the scenarios page. I haven't had a chance to try them yet, but presumably they're better balanced.

Tigress removes the crossbow; this helps the OL somewhat.

Scenario 3 moves quite a few models around to remove the frustration of heroes trying to face smash the demon and the potential for Skuthus getting killed in turn 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.