Hide
25 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Support appear playing five players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Milton
msg tools
I made an iPad support app for the game; including an elements tracker, monster attack modifier deck, and round counter. Check it out at

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gloom-5/id1211118852?uo=4&mt...

Comments and requests are welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool. I wish I had the iPad mini now.

If you could make one that has an HP counter, XP counter, and player's attack modifier deck, I'd be all in!thumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's awesome.

Android has an app that has all the monster decks and will draw and shuffle them. It would be awesome to have your app do the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Sievers
msg tools
Very cool, I searched for an iOS app and found your app. Very nice interface and I love that it both supports landscape and portrait mode. I was wondering though, when clicking on the curse button it adds two curses to the monster deck, and clicking again removes them. Maybe I'm playing the game wrong but I thought you add a single curse card every time you curse a monster? (Like when a monster curses a character). Same for blessings, just add a single bless card to the deck. Am I mistaken?

Ps: I would not add the monster decks, for me it's more intuitive to have the actual physical monster decks near the monster card. But as the elements board, round tracker and monster deck are used for all monsters, I very much like using the app to save me some shuffling. Thinking about it, it would be nice to add an "end round" button that automatically reshuffles the monster deck (after a null or 2x has been drawn) AND degrade elemental power one step down, what do you think? Again, I love it and thanks for the work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Note: This app requires IOS 10.2. I was not able to D/L cuz I'm still on 8.3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jyhne
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great app - we are already using it when we play Gloomhaven. Oh wait I'm playing Gloomhaven with OP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Milton
msg tools
Thank you.

Redron wrote:
Very cool, I searched for an iOS app and found your app. Very nice interface and I love that it both supports landscape and portrait mode. I was wondering though, when clicking on the curse button it adds two curses to the monster deck, and clicking again removes them. Maybe I'm playing the game wrong but I thought you add a single curse card every time you curse a monster? (Like when a monster curses a character). Same for blessings, just add a single bless card to the deck. Am I mistaken?

You are completely right - I'll change that in the next version of the app.

Redron wrote:
Ps: I would not add the monster decks, for me it's more intuitive to have the actual physical monster decks near the monster card. But as the elements board, round tracker and monster deck are used for all monsters, I very much like using the app to save me some shuffling. Thinking about it, it would be nice to add an "end round" button that automatically reshuffles the monster deck (after a null or 2x has been drawn) AND degrade elemental power one step down, what do you think? Again, I love it and thanks for the work!

The small arrow above the Round counter is that button. It will increase the round count, wane the elements, and shuffle the monster deck iff needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Milton
msg tools
johnb4bgg wrote:

Thank you for the input. I am using several components in the app that only work on iOS 10.1+ Making a version for iOS 8.3 would not be that easy for me. Sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Milton
msg tools
kzinti wrote:
Very cool. I wish I had the iPad mini now.

If you could make one that has an HP counter, XP counter, and player's attack modifier deck, I'd be all in!thumbsupthumbsup

Thank you.

An early version of the app had the XP/HP counters, but we decided they were not suited for central management - as the monster attack deck, round counter, and elements are.

I might make a separate app for characters instead; XP/HP counter, character attack modifier deck - each player can have it on his or hers phone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Sievers
msg tools
dirgex wrote:

The small arrow above the Round counter is that button. It will increase the round count, wane the elements, and shuffle the monster deck iff needed.

Awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dirgex wrote:
johnb4bgg wrote:

Thank you for the input. I am using several components in the app that only work on iOS 10.1+ Making a version for iOS 8.3 would not be that easy for me. Sorry.

I should have been more clear in my initial comment. I was not criticizing a limitation. I only wanted to inform others of requirements. I understand that older platforms are hit/miss. I applaud you guys/gals who are helping make the game easier to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Keshishian
msg tools
mbmbmb
Great app! Thanks for taking the time to do this. Won't need to print a monster deck now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liang Xia
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
The App is great except for one issue that makes it unusable...

Your curse and bless buttons are a toggle buttons that appears to add 2?? curses or 2 blesses to the deck. The problem is that curse and bless are not one time effects!

You need some way of adding just one bless or curse and an option for doing it multiple times and resetting the deck between scenarios.

Thanks for the hard work though! The app is really well made

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Milton
msg tools
icantdrawanime wrote:

Your curse and bless buttons are a toggle buttons that appears to add 2?? curses or 2 blesses to the deck. The problem is that curse and bless are not one time effects!

You need some way of adding just one bless or curse and an option for doing it multiple times and resetting the deck between scenarios.

Thank you for the input. I have released a new version of the app, where the curse/bless bug is fixed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dirgex wrote:
icantdrawanime wrote:

Thank you for the input. I have released a new version of the app, where the curse/bless bug is fixed.

I just downloaded the update. Sadly, there is another error that makes it unplayable.

The monster attack deck shuffles immediately after a Null or X2 is pulled. This should only happen at the end of the round, not during the round. This is strange because I thought that it worked perfectly before (didn't shuffle during the round) but now it seems to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kraack
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarimrune wrote:
dirgex wrote:
icantdrawanime wrote:

I just downloaded the update. Sadly, there is another error that makes it unplayable.

The monster attack deck shuffles immediately after a Null or X2 is pulled. This should only happen at the end of the round, not during the round. This is strange because I thought that it worked perfectly before (didn't shuffle during the round) but now it seems to.

It did this to me a couple times, but after a couple restarts it hasn't happened again. Maybe I was accidentally hitting the big reshuffle button that pops up in the middle of the deck image somehow.

Another thing that happened a couple times and then went away after a couple restarts was that the deck had curses in it that I didn't add and that weren't accounted for in the curse count indicator.

But again...both issues went away for me after a couple restarts.

(Though I do still find the placement of the reshuffle button, right in the center of the deck, subobtimal...that's where I like to tap to draw a new card! I'd suggest moving the button to the bottom right corner of the deck, and making it smaller, but that's just my personal preference.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I dont understand the title of the post???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sabash wrote:
Sarimrune wrote:
dirgex wrote:
icantdrawanime wrote:

It did this to me a couple times, but after a couple restarts it hasn't happened again. Maybe I was accidentally hitting the big reshuffle button that pops up in the middle of the deck image somehow.

Another thing that happened a couple times and then went away after a couple restarts was that the deck had curses in it that I didn't add and that weren't accounted for in the curse count indicator.

(Though I do still find the placement of the reshuffle button, right in the center of the deck, subobtimal...that's where I like to tap to draw a new card! I'd suggest moving the button to the bottom right corner of the deck, and making it smaller, but that's just my personal preference.)

Ahh. Yes. I just saw the re-shuffle icon. If you avoid touching ityou can draw normally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sarimrune wrote:
sabash wrote:
Sarimrune wrote:
dirgex wrote:
icantdrawanime wrote:

Ahh. Yes. I just saw the re-shuffle icon. If you avoid touching ityou can draw normally.

I would move it to the top right corner. Accidentally hitting it after drawing a 2x when 4 more enemies have to attack would be annoying and mess up the round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Milton
msg tools
Dynalange129 wrote:
I dont understand the title of the post???

You are right - it does not make sense. Spelling-correction must have changed "App" to "Appear".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Milton
msg tools
Dynalange129 wrote:

I would move it to the top right corner. Accidentally hitting it after drawing a 2x when 4 more enemies have to attack would be annoying and mess up the round.

OK, sounds reasonable. I'll move the button and upload a new version. I cannot reproduce the "initial curses in the deck" bug, so I'll leave that in the bug-tracker for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kraack
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dirgex wrote:
Dynalange129 wrote:

OK, sounds reasonable. I'll move the button and upload a new version. I cannot reproduce the "initial curses in the deck" bug, so I'll leave that in the bug-tracker for now.

The repro steps were:

1) Before updating to the current version, add curses to the deck
2) Close app
3) Update app
4) Open app
5) Whoa, those curses are still there, and aren't going away after drawing them and reshuffling.
6) Restart app a couple times
7) Curses are gone, everything working normally

Obviously, I was only able to experience this once, since I couldn't remove the update. And I could have missed something...those are the things I did, as I remember them. But it was a few days ago...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sabash wrote:

The repro steps were:

2) Close app
3) Update app
4) Open app
5) Whoa, those curses are still there, and aren't going away after drawing them and reshuffling.

Obviously, I was only able to experience this once, since I couldn't remove the update. And I could have missed something...those are the things I did, as I remember them. But it was a few days ago...

App curses are much more insidious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Milton
msg tools
sabash wrote:

The repro steps were:

2) Close app
3) Update app
4) Open app

OK. I had a look at the code again; Sadly I still cannot explain what you experienced, and I have had no luck reproducing it either. I will keep a lookout and put the sequence on the tests-list, to see if future releases act up in the same way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just found this app. Nice!

One small suggestion is to move the Bless and Curse buttons above the draw deck, so there's less chance of accidentally hitting them while doing normal drawing. It seems like they are more of a rare thing to add, at least earlier on in the campaign, so rather than feature them in between the normal drawing and card display, I think they'd be better off to the side (i.e., above the draw deck). Even aside from the chance of hitting them unintentionally (admittedly not that likely), just seeing them there kind of gets in the way of the visual UI, when they're not often needed.

Regardless, it's great to have. And having the elements tracker frees up a nice little piece of table space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.