Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, reading the rules and I have not tried it yet, it seems to me that there has to be a commitment on both player to at least engage the enemy? Is that true? Due to the movement rules a fleet could just stay away from the other fleet and make the game a draw?

Also, it seems that the rules for leaving the field of battle also creates problems. When ships start to get dismasted or lose lots of rigging then there might be lots of stragglers that just cannot get 10 hexes away from each other and what about the ships that strike? What if they float away and are 10 hexes away from the active ships but there are enemy ships that strike as well? How do those ships get decided?

Also, with the campaign game does the "End of World" optional rule get nixed then?

Also, it only costs 1VP to try to buy another ship? That seems a bit overpowered since it cost 1VP to repair 10 rigging or 8 hull, but I guess you could lose a ship or get none? Is that the reason?

What have you done if you have played the campaign game?

Hope to hear from some experienced players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nagel
United States
Burlington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
William,

Of course there has to be a commitment to battle, otherwise what's the point? Each player would remove their ships with the last ship earning its side 10 VP. That would make for a quick but boring campaign.

Ships that cannot get away will be captured eventually.

End of the world does not count as this ships unable to stay on the map would be withdrawn.

The VP cost is not overpowered. The whole point is to repair what you've got and bank the rest towards victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Mike for the answers. Good to know that I was thinking correctly on this.

Ships that cannot get away, I am assuming still have to be grappled.

What happens to (Not sure if this happens typically) ships which fall of the map because of End of the World moving of ships? If the ship is dismasted, I assume it goes back to the owning player. What happens to a struck ship that falls off the board, as well? Does it go back to the owner or does it change allegiances?

Got it on the VP costs.

Again, thanks for the answers, I really appreciate them before starting the campaign!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nagel
United States
Burlington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Any ship that falls off the map goes to whoever controls it at that time. So make sure to grab those struck ships!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, we tried playing the first scenario of the campaign game, and it got real chaotic with the way the battle progressed.

After about 4 turns, the wind changed hexes which put half of my British ships in irons and most of the American ships Beating or Running which left my ships easy for the Americans to shoot up.

This did happen in the game. I am not sure if it is covered in the rules and it goes to an early question I had about the game.

So, I got a shot off at the flagship of the Americans. I was the British. I do not have the playbook in front of me. The American player played rolled a '9' to wound the commander, and then rolled a '0' which killed him. . . . ? So, the Americans lose the campaign game? Is this how it is supposed to work?

I have had so many games end with a sides commanders all dying in these scenarios. It seems too often. Especially for the the campaign game. Are we supposed to hold back our commanders and not engage them?

Also, to be clear can OoC ships grapple struck ships?

Warning to all trying to play this scenario, I strongly recommend using damage sheets or something else to track the damage. The damage chits on the counters do not seem to work for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I should have read the rules before posting. Yes, if one of the commanders is killed that side loses. I have so many of these games end this away and a campaign scenario ending this way is anti-climatic as well.

Do we play too dangerously in this series? Should flag ships stay off in the distance and let the other ships slug it out?

Is that historical? Or did the flagship lead the charge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nagel
United States
Burlington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My response to this type of question is typically "protect your leaders better" (particularly when you only have one).

This is especially true in the case of this campaign. If either Chauncey or Yeo would have gone down, that likely would have ended the efforts for control of Lake Ontario for that side.

Flagships did not typically lead the charge unless you were Nelson (who died) or OH Perry (who had his flagship shot out from under him).

If you're overly concerned about the campaign ending prematurely if a commander gets killed, just assume he's sufficiently wounded to be down for the rest of the battle. The scenario ends and the opposing side gets the VPs for "killing" the commander, but he's available for the next battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mpnagel wrote:
My response to this type of question is typically "protect your leaders better" (particularly when you only have one).

This is especially true in the case of this campaign. If either Chauncey or Yeo would have gone down, that likely would have ended the efforts for control of Lake Ontario for that side.

Flagships did not typically lead the charge unless you were Nelson (who died) or OH Perry (who had his flagship shot out from under him).

If you're overly concerned about the campaign ending prematurely if a commander gets killed, just assume he's sufficiently wounded to be down for the rest of the battle. The scenario ends and the opposing side gets the VPs for "killing" the commander, but he's available for the next battle.

Very good. The most important sentence in this post is "Flagships did not typically lead the charge. . . ."

I have played a lot of Musket and Pike. In that game, it seems, as I understand it, that leaders did "lead the charge." However, I often keep my leaders with the 2nd line of units to avoid having leader leave the battlefield. I dislike doing this, but a 10% (kind of a 9% or 8% chance because he can return.) chance of leaving the field. And I believe the leaders were on the first line literally leading the charge.

Now with Serpents of the Seas, your strongest ship (sometimes by far like in this scenario for the Americans) has your leader on it, so the desire or thought is you must have your flagship engage the battle. However, I am guessing you do not then. You can have your flagship direct the battle without directly engaging and maybe only engaging when necessary to be decisive.

From a "historically accurately statistical perspective" (like that phrase) is a 1 or 2% accurate per hit on a ship for killing a commander?

I saw a post on consimworld responding to this query that had a house rule that added a bit less possibility of hurting a leader where after a ship is hit with a leader, you roll the die again and the number rolled has to be equal to or under the damage number of rigging or hull hits created. This would reduce a small pot shot from a T rated ship from likely killing a commander.

It adds more rolls, but would make a significant hit on a flagship be more likely to kill/wound a leader than a small hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.