Subject: What Items Do You Have On Your Table To Enhance Gameplay? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Cave
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
This morning I was watching a video for the game Perditions Mouth and noticed some acoustic tiles used for Character cards, and then using the ripples in the foam for holding cards up at an angle.

The guy also had some acrylic Business card holders to organize cards from.

It got me to thinking, I am sure there are other tips & tricks that people use to enhance or make board gaming better. Obviously a custom gaming table could make much of this unnecessary, but not all of us have that option.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
My reading glasses LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Goodnight
United States
Newmarket
NH
flag msg tools
mbmb
Small dishes (finger bowls, dessert dishes, etc.) are great for holding tokens and counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna E.
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a few large and small sets of these:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AHLX8C/ref=oh_aui_se...

These are hands down my favorite things to put bits and chits in at the table. They are good sizes, easy to see everything in and never tip. Plus they look good on the table. Judging from the Amazon comments, more than a few boardgamers are a fan of these.

Side bonus - Kids love to stack them/throw them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Scussel
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't have one, but I think a dice tray (to roll dice into) would be nice. Helps reduce the number of times dice roll onto the floor or onto the board (and disturb the bits).

We have some silicone muffin cups which are great for holding bits, but we haven't used them yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things // Jackie Mclean: Swing Swang Swingin' // Clifford Jordan: Cliff Craft // Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
razzbuten wrote:
This morning I was watching a video for the game Perditions Mouth and noticed some acoustic tiles used for Character cards, and then using the ripples in the foam for holding cards up at an angle.

The guy also had some acrylic Business card holders to organize cards from.

It got me to thinking, I am sure there are other tips & tricks that people use to enhance or make board gaming better. Obviously a custom gaming table could make much of this unnecessary, but not all of us have that option.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Sounds like you've been watching Catweazle! His setup is very cool.

I just have little cups for tokens and also a dice tray when necessary. I also recently got some card holders for propping up multiple hands in deck builders and such for solo play. I don't know if I like them yet though.

I'm looking forward to seeing what others say that I haven't thought of yet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Darwins_Dog wrote:
Small dishes (finger bowls, dessert dishes, etc.) are great for holding tokens and counters.

Serious answer is this for Antiquity, otherwise piles are fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Capozzi
United States
Andover
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
“Here’s to long life and a merry one. A quick death and an easy one. A pretty girl and an honest one. A cold beer — and another one!”
mbmbmbmbmb
Darwins_Dog wrote:

We do this when we play Railways of the World. Each player gets his/her own bowl of rail link tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Capozzi
United States
Andover
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
“Here’s to long life and a merry one. A quick death and an easy one. A pretty girl and an honest one. A cold beer — and another one!”
mbmbmbmbmb
GoingTopShelf wrote:
Beer

Yep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Cave
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
toliveischrist77 wrote:

Sounds like you've been watching Catweazle! His setup is very cool.

I just have little cups for tokens and also a dice tray when necessary. I also recently got some card holders for propping up multiple hands in deck builders and such for solo play. I don't know if I like them yet though.

I'm looking forward to seeing what others say that I haven't thought of yet!

It was in fact Catweazle, I am not familiar with etiquette here and figured I would avoid saying names to avoid looking as though I was trying to spam content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poker chips for any game with paper money, dice tray, silicone muffin cups for bits, Shocking Roulette for choosing first player for the first game. I bring all this stuff to wherever I game.

Always hoping to integrate my DGT cube https://opinionatedgamers.com/2013/07/25/matt-carlson-review... into my regular rotation, but there's a certain type of person who is angered and offended by the existence of time, and it'll take me a while to filter them out of the list of people I play with. I blame any AP I seem to have on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Radtke
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A beer or a glass of wine. Friends (though they are usually around the table rather than ON it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
Alpha pedant
mbmbmbmbmb
The skulls of my defeated opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
msg tools
Postin’ over here, boss.
badge
Post over there, Luke.
mb

Innovatium Hold-it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Greasby
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Walsh Code
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered a roll of 5mm neoprene with the intent of covering our entire dining room table. However, by turning the roll sideways, I only needed to make one cut. There is about 6-8 inches on either end that is not covered but I found that has the added benefit of providing a solid surface for drinks. The smaller size also allows me to use it on our kitchen table (shorter but wider than the dining room table) without hanging off the ends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Korson
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A short range EMP device should anyone dare take out there cell phone while I'm teaching a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread sounds like it belongs on a more "adult" website. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Peterson
msg tools
badge
Let's Go Royals!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the only answer. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Painted miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Massey
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
Gotta Stay Positive!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nofunatalll wrote:

Count me in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
No disrespect to those who have mentioned alcohol but I find caffeine is the substance that enhances my game play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MK99 wrote:
No disrespect to those who have mentioned alcohol but I find caffeine is the substance that enhances my game play.

Methinks you're thinking too much like a eurogamer? Alcohol can be served to your guests to affect them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.