Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: How hard do you roleplay? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric T
msg tools
Just played my first session last night - big learning curve for us (and we completely forgot to mix the vanilla attack modifier deck with our character attack modifier decks, oops, yet my character still nearly died), but three situations arose that made me wonder how much other players roleplay, even at the expense of good tactical decision making. (Very mild and vaguely written spoilers ahead)

First, with our city encounter. We were given a situation where we could either chase someone or shoot at them with a bow. I'm playing the Inox Brute and my friend is the Vermling Mindthief. We both agreed to give chase, but that point aside, neither of us is even equipped with a bow...so it felt weird to me at least that we would choose that as an option. Does that impact anyone else when making a decision in these encounters? I won't necessarily *always* limit myself based on my personal equipment, but it kinda helped me make my decision from a RP perspective.

Second, our road encounter. We encountered a creature that we could either help or interrogate. My friend suggested we do one of the options over the other because "Well, neither of us is the tinkerer, who could probably do X, so I bet the better option is Y". I responded to my friend that I thought my character would choose one of the actions over the other based on the way I'm choosing to play, and the writeup for the Inox race, not whether or not we happened to have a Tinkerer (this kind of breaks the spell for me when I'm in the moment trying to make a decision). Note that neither of us are super hard core roleplayers, speaking in accented voices or any of that, but I would still like to mull over my decision based on what my character would do...not which option appears to be "more likely" to succeed using my personal logic.

Finally, at the conclusion of scenario 1, we were able to choose a random side scenario. It turned out to be some library location VERY far from the Black Barrow. My friend wants to zip off there immediately but I feel we should finish the job we started for the red-skinned merchant (don't have her name in front of me). Now, this definitely lends itself to some fun RP talk - my friend is the Vermling mindthief after all, so perhaps a far off library is enticing to him and his retirement goal, and I'll admit he has also said it would be fine for us to pursue the "main quest" and proceed to scenario 2. I just feel like the random side scenario (which I picture as us finding a mysterious map with an X on it, or something) would usurp the task at hand. Maybe I'm thinking wayyyyyy to much into it, but just wondering how others approached this situation and if any roleplay was involved.

Thanks to all for reading and responding!






1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you may have played completely wrong...

The "vanilla" attack modifier deck is what you start out with.

You do not use the deck of attack modifier cards in your character envelope. Those cards are slowly added to your vanilla deck over time (through perks, leveling, etc.).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
msg tools
Derp...thx Mike! Yea, after an hour reading the rules and punching cardboard, we just jumped in. Thx for the correction!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
WARNING: there is an unmarked character class name spoiler 4 posts down. Not in my post, but one 4 posts down.




Rhaego78 wrote:
Just played my first session last night - big learning curve for us (and we completely forgot to mix the vanilla attack modifier deck with our character attack modifier decks, oops, yet my character still nearly died), but three situations arose that made me wonder how much other players roleplay, even at the expense of good tactical decision making. (Very mild and vaguely written spoilers ahead.


So, you're supposed to start with ONLY the vanilla decks for each player. The character specific stuff starts to get mixed in as you get perks.

Quote:
First, with our city encounter. We were given a situation where we could either chase someone or shoot at them with a bow. I'm playing the Inox Brute and my friend is the Vermling Mindthief. We both agreed to give chase, but that point aside, neither of us is even equipped with a bow...so it felt weird to me at least that we would choose that as an option. Does that impact anyone else when making a decision in these encounters? I won't necessarily *always* limit myself based on my personal equipment, but it kinda helped me make my decision from a RP perspective.

Second, our road encounter. We encountered a creature that we could either help or interrogate. My friend suggested we do one of the options over the other because "Well, neither of us is the tinkerer, who could probably do X, so I bet the better option is Y". I responded to my friend that I thought my character would choose one of the actions over the other based on the way I'm choosing to play, and the writeup for the Inox race, not whether or not we happened to have a Tinkerer (this kind of breaks the spell for me when I'm in the moment trying to make a decision). Note that neither of us are super hard core roleplayers, speaking in accented voices or any of that, but I would still like to mull over my decision based on what my character would do...not which option appears to be "more likely" to succeed using my personal logic.


Just because you don't have the really cool bow from the shop doesn't mean your character doesn't have a bow. I wouldn't say the shop items you have are the only equipment your character carries around, they just are the ones that add particularly special effects. You'll need to be a little more abstract about it or some things won't make perfect sense.

Quote:
Finally, at the conclusion of scenario 1, we were able to choose a random side scenario. It turned out to be some library location VERY far from the Black Barrow. My friend wants to zip off there immediately but I feel we should finish the job we started for the red-skinned merchant (don't have her name in front of me). Now, this definitely lends itself to some fun RP talk - my friend is the Vermling mindthief after all, so perhaps a far off library is enticing to him and his retirement goal, and I'll admit he has also said it would be fine for us to pursue the "main quest" and proceed to scenario 2. I just feel like the random side scenario (which I picture as us finding a mysterious map with an X on it, or something) would usurp the task at hand. Maybe I'm thinking wayyyyyy to much into it, but just wondering how others approached this situation and if any roleplay was involved.

Thanks to all for reading and responding!


The side scenario we found had a requirement on it that we didn't have, so our choice was easy. However, we did return to town for blessings and stuff before we headed back.

We definitely make RP choices for events, and then I the same goes for our scenario choices. It's pretty minor, but definitely adds to the fun.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If I can also recommend the official rules video...

It's 25 mins, and might help you with a lot of the common mistakes that people are having when playing the game.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


The First Game Setup PDF has been the most useful download for us. This assures that we don't overlook these rules.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norwegian Singbird
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
I play solo with four characters (I have created all the six starting ones), and I try to roleplay a little bit. I try to think a bit who would want to come to a scenario based on their character story and personal quests.

For example, my Mindthief wants to save the forests, so most of the time he's sitting out because it doesn't feel like his backstory or his quest urge him to descent into volcanoes or anything.

My Scoundrel is a Zealot of the Blood God so when she hears there's some Gloom about somewhere, she's there. And so on.

Often it doesn't work all that well, though. Also, even if thematically we're supposed to be some sort of mercenaries (if I've understood correctly), at this point in the story no one is actually paying us anything to do anything, so that's not a reason to go anywhere, either.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
Avatar
I've found myself playing...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
the Savvas Elementalist, which is a Savvas who managed to master all four classical elements and his four glowing orbs on his chest. A friend of mine is playing the Savvas Cragheart, which is a Savvas who managed to master no elements, got his glowing chest orb smashed by his tribe and then kicked out.

I do my best to berate him all the time. "You useless oaf! Go over there and keep that demon busy while your betters take care of these problems!"

All in good fun, of course.


Admin edit to spoiler tag this post
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berg
Germany
BaWü
flag msg tools
富士山
badge
Take a closer look
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Khift wrote:
I've found myself playing...

Please put some spoiler-tags around anything regarding non-starter classes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
Avatar
Garou wrote:
Khift wrote:
I've found myself playing...

Please put some spoiler-tags around anything regarding non-starter classes.
Considering that I spoiled nothing I will pass on that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Khift wrote:
Garou wrote:
Khift wrote:
I've found myself playing...

Please put some spoiler-tags around anything regarding non-starter classes.
Considering that I spoiled nothing I will pass on that.


You just spoiled the name and theme of one of the Hidden classes for me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Hatch
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Really? A
Spoiler (click to reveal)
savvas elementalist
was one of the starting classes? Don't remember that.shake
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
Avatar
alphasquid wrote:
Khift wrote:
Garou wrote:
Khift wrote:
I've found myself playing...

Please put some spoiler-tags around anything regarding non-starter classes.
Considering that I spoiled nothing I will pass on that.


You just spoiled the name and theme of one of the Hidden classes for me.
Oh man. I'm sure your entire game experience is now ruined.

It's a name. Chill out. I didn't say anything about the actual class nor what box it's in. And even the concept of the class should surprise absolutely no-one who read the lore on the Cragheart class and / or sorted the monster stat cards alphabetically.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Khift wrote:
alphasquid wrote:
Khift wrote:
Garou wrote:
Khift wrote:
I've found myself playing...

Please put some spoiler-tags around anything regarding non-starter classes.
Considering that I spoiled nothing I will pass on that.


You just spoiled the name and theme of one of the Hidden classes for me.
Oh man. I'm sure your entire game experience is now ruined.

It's a name. Chill out. I didn't say anything about the actual class nor what box it's in. And even the concept of the class should surprise absolutely no-one who read the lore on the Cragheart class and / or sorted the monster stat cards alphabetically.


Your sarcasm isn't helping anyone. Please check this out: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1688250/please-read-request...

Also, which box it's in is obvious now since you were so specific about the theme.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I was expecting another Savvas, but I figured he'd have mastered one element, not 4.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
Avatar
alphasquid wrote:
Your sarcasm isn't helping anyone. Please check this out: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1688250/please-read-request...

Also, which box it's in is obvious now since you were so specific about the theme.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I was expecting another Savvas, but I figured he'd have mastered one element, not 4.
And neither is your gross overreaction helping either.

It's not a spoiler. I'm not going to apologize and you can get over it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berg
Germany
BaWü
flag msg tools
富士山
badge
Take a closer look
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Khift wrote:
It's not a spoiler. I'm not going to apologize and you can get over it.

The game's creator specifically listet what content he would like to see treated as a spoiler.
Cephalofair wrote:
1. Any character class other than the six starting classes. This gets a little tricky since even naming the class is a spoiler, but all classes have an icon you can use to reference them, or you can reference them by their numerical order they are found in the box (going from right to left) or the order listed in the FAQ thread (for instance, Brute would be class 1, Tinkerer class 2, Spellweaver class 3, etc.).

You were asked to do so. Of course it is within your rights to ignore those requests, but I don't think your getting called out for it is a "gross overreaction".
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Pettifer
England
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a spoiler, a minor one perhaps, not in the "I am your father" category, but still clearly a spoiler.

People have been very polite in asking you not to do it, it is not difficult to amend your post to spoiler tag it, and it would make others happy if you did so, so why not be kind and amend your post? Thanks.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Naming a character class is a spoiler.
Please delete your post or edit it with a spoiler tag so it's not spoiled for others who might read this.
Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Khift wrote:
alphasquid wrote:
Your sarcasm isn't helping anyone. Please check this out: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1688250/please-read-request...

Also, which box it's in is obvious now since you were so specific about the theme.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I was expecting another Savvas, but I figured he'd have mastered one element, not 4.
And neither is your gross overreaction helping either.

It's not a spoiler. I'm not going to apologize and you can get over it.


It is a spoiler. Saying it isn't doesnt make it not.

Im not sure what you mean by saying I'm overreacting. I've stated facts in a pretty neutral manner.

No one has asked you to apologize. All we did was ask you to spoiler tag a spoiler, and you took a very defensive position.

I'm going to be fine. I've accidentally had other things spoiled (Isaac's twitter and blog have unmarked spoiler images of classes, as does the image gallery here on BGG). It's a pretty marginal loss of enjoyment for me. Maybe more so for others.

I don't really understand your position of not wanting to spoiler tag a spoiler. Even if you don't think it is, pretty much everyone else does, and it takes very little effort to mark it.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Jones
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Khift wrote:
alphasquid wrote:
Your sarcasm isn't helping anyone. Please check this out: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1688250/please-read-request...

Also, which box it's in is obvious now since you were so specific about the theme.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I was expecting another Savvas, but I figured he'd have mastered one element, not 4.
And neither is your gross overreaction helping either.

It's not a spoiler. I'm not going to apologize and you can get over it.


You do know that words mean things right?

Revealing the name and specialization of a class in a sealed box identified only by an abstract symbol is objectively a spoiler.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
Avatar
alphasquid wrote:
I don't really understand your position of not wanting to spoiler tag a spoiler. Even if you don't think it is, pretty much everyone else does, and it takes very little effort to mark it.
When you define literally every tiny detail that could possibly be hidden to be a spoiler then it makes discussion of the game nearly impossible. By this definition I can't even say that there is an enemy named "Vermling Shaman". That's technically a spoiler by your definition.

My definition is whether or not harm was done, and none was. You know a name, congratulations. I really could care less what Isaac defines a spoiler to be, I could care less what other people define a spoiler to be, I'm following my truth and if you don't like that you can not read my posts.

There will not be an apology and there will not be an edit. You can stop overreacting about a name now.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Khift wrote:


There will not be an apology and there will not be an edit. You can stop overreacting about a name now.


You're really the only one overreacting. But I will accept your offer not to read your posts. Have a good one.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
Avatar
kzinti wrote:
I would just suggest flagging Paul for trolling.

I seriously don't think that he's that unintelligent that he doesn't "get it." Therefore I must assume that he's trolling. It has been explained multiple times that what he did was a spoiler. Hell, even Isaac's #1 example of a spoiler is sharing the name of a class. I'm sure Paul read that.

He has been asked to put a spoiler flag, which he vehemenently refuses to do, so (even if he were unintelligent) this further shows a lack of empathy.

I therefore can only conclude that he's trolling. Please mark his comment as such so it's flagged for admin and they can make the final determination.

He might be correct, but let's allow admin to make that decision.

(I have now X his post with a violation of trolling. Please do the same if you think this is an admin matter.)

Am I overreacting? blush
Isaac's a great guy but he does not make the rules for this forum. Creating a game does not mean you get to control how people talk about it online. If you can't handle that other people have different opinions on what is and isn't a spoiler then you probably should not be interacting with others online when you could be spoiled. After all, Pandemic Legacy has a board.

And yes, you are overreacting. Personal insults actually are against the rules of this forum. As is backseat moderation.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Either way, if enough people X it, the comment will be hidden and require users to click on it in order to read your spoiler.

It's the best we can do, as a community, to prevent your spoiler from accidentally (or purposefully by you) from being read.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul. Sorry if you disagree, but it IS a spoiler. The fact that you dont think it is, is irrelevant. Many other people class it as a spoiler. And although Isaac does not control these forums, he has specifically asked for people to put spoilers in spoiler threads.

Now, I know you are probably annoyed by people overreacting, but please reconsider. What you said IS a spoiler and IS spoiling the experience for some.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.