Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have one question that I couldn't find any answer to after reading through the Colonization rulebook. Why would I want a Space Colony? Is defense of a factory the only reason? Or is it perhaps useful to dispose of a politically inconvenient colonist card?

If I'm not missing something, you lose the colonist card (essentially transforming it into a colony) and thus potentially lose voting power as well. Is that right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure about 3rd ed, but at least in 2nd ed, a colony is a VP and you get the crew card back in hand to launch again (representing a different crew of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Mantuano
United States
Hamilton Square
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A colony is also immune to felonies (hijacking, claim jump, etc)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In Exomigration there are also Independent Colonies which give you votes although you need to establish then with readl colonists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewdoull wrote:
A space colony is worth 2 VP. This may not sound like much but it adds up.

You can also build Space Colonies with your crew, which allows you to then boost a new crew to LEO instead of having to get them back from your factory.

Ah, I had missed the 2 VP for a colony. It would have been nice if that sentence had been bolded like the one earlier in the paragraph indicating all the other things that give 1 VP. That makes sense.

It does seem odd, though, that it appears you'd generally rather use your crew card than a colonist to colonize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.