Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Giuliano Bartolucci
Italy
fano
Pesaro Urbino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, search button helped a bit but far from satisfied...

I've just received the game and completed tutorial
Now since I have 3 complete campaigns to play (plus The Delve), I wonder if, instead of purchasing game expansions, wouldn't be much more interesting to buy 2/3 miniatures collection boxes in order to increase variety of monsters, classes and Heroes (instead of new mechanics and tiles) of the core game.

Anyone willing to help?
Please share your concerning on the matter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
For Road to Legend, the Hero and Monster expansions (4 heroes, 3 monster groups and no other added physical game components for RtL) you will add variety but mostly with what monsters you will encounter. They don't include any new classes.

Depending on which pack you buy, this can increase the difficulty considerably. Some monster groups are simply stronger than others, despite efforts from FFG to balance them.

It's common for members of this board to suggest purchase of a box expansion for a wider array of content. Shadow of Nerekhall being the best one due to the Seeds of Corruption campaign and what is generally considered a superior product to most of the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giuliano Bartolucci
Italy
fano
Pesaro Urbino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wrote:
For Road to Legend, the Hero and Monster expansions (4 heroes, 3 monster groups and no other added physical game components for RtL) you will add variety but mostly with what monsters you will encounter. They don't include any new classes.

Depending on which pack you buy, this can increase the difficulty considerably. Some monster groups are simply stronger than others, despite efforts from FFG to balance them.

It's common for members of this board to suggest purchase of a box expansion for a wider array of content. Shadow of Nerekhall being the best one due to the Seeds of Corruption campaign and what is generally considered a superior product to most of the others.

Do you mean that SoN add an entire campaign to Road to Legend? Wonderful!
EDIT ok, the above shows my ignorance on the matter...forget about it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
I personally would get several boxed expansions before H&M for RtL. Comparing the older small boxes to a H&M:

H&M:
- 1 more monster group (up from 2)
- 2 more heros (up from 2)

Expansion:
- 2 classes
- Same number of quests, but the expansions will use new tiles
- Items
- Relics
- Dice
- A condition, which also adds more activations to existing monsters.
- Use of new tiles in some story/side quests
- Delve stages

SoN is a must have due to the extra campaign. LoR is good too.

Edit: Added Delve stages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you only have the Base game, there are not 3 compete campaigns to play. The Base game comes with the Heirs of Blood campaign (or the Shadow Rune if you have the older version), which is not compatible for play with the app.

The Base game also allows you to play the Rise of all Goblins demo and the Kindred Fire campaign on the road to legend app. The Rise of all Goblins, however, is not a compete campaign. It is a demo consisting of a tutorial quest, one optional side quest and 1 story quest. Lastly, the Seeds of Corruption campaign is only playable with the Shadows of Nerekhall expansion.

Therefore, the common suggestion is to get shadows of Nerekhall as your first expansion. The normal campaign included in that expansion (not compatible with the app) is also one of the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with everyone that Shadow of Nerekhall should be top priority for obvious reasons. But regarding the rest of expansions it's worth noting that H&M collections not only add new heroes and monsters to Road to Legend, each one also adds a new side quest too, same as boxed expansions.

The best part about boxed expansions both big and small is they also add new dungeon stages to the Delve, while H&M collections do not.

Source: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/234737-side-q...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kallan Greybe
msg tools
I'd largely agree with Bruce that box sets are generally better value, especially with the extra RTL campaign, but I've just reached the point where getting a H&M pack actually makes more sense, mostly because at some point the added classes or item cards don't add as much as adding the right sets of monsters or the right hero.

So broadly my advice is you can't go wrong early on getting the small and big boxes: one of each is a very strong start on your collection and I've never had cause to regret getting any of those. Once you've got a decent collection though, start looking very seriously at the H&Ms because there comes a point where they're the obvious next buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatGuyMontag wrote:
I'd largely agree with Bruce that box sets are generally better value, especially with the extra RTL campaign, but I've just reached the point where getting a H&M pack actually makes more sense, mostly because at some point the added classes or item cards don't add as much as adding the right sets of monsters or the right hero.

So broadly my advice is you can't go wrong early on getting the small and big boxes: one of each is a very strong start on your collection and I've never had cause to regret getting any of those. Once you've got a decent collection though, start looking very seriously at the H&Ms because there comes a point where they're the obvious next buy.

While I agree that H&M might be a great choice if you like a specific hero and/or monster, generally I'd say that they are always a worse value for money and should be bought only if you have all the box expansions. It seems that miniatures are a huge part of the price and box expansions give you much more content in terms of new mechanics, cards and tiles. These are especially useful when playing the classic Descent, but even with the app higher variety of items and character classes increase the replayability. Playing an old character with a new class will give you a much "fresher" feel than playing a new hero with an old class...

So personally I'd go for - all the box expansions -> 1/2 lieutenant pack (good for flavour/tension in the app, financially totally not worth it (and I speak from the perspective of having bought all of them) -> all H&M -> other lieutenant packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kallan Greybe
msg tools
I'm mostly with you Mikolaj, but having everything up to Nerekhall I found it really hard to justify getting Manor of Ravens instead of one of the H&M packs, and that's despite being a fan of the Marshall class. It could just be because I enjoy painting the miniatures, but having two to three strong monster groups rather than just two okay ones (to say nothing of the new heroes) is really appealing and at the moment far outweighs the benefit of adding a couple more shop cards in a pretty well stacked shop card deck, or a couple of new OL classes when I've barely played through the ones I have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giuliano Bartolucci
Italy
fano
Pesaro Urbino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really, I'm getting clearer on what I really need. Thanks everybody guys, from me but not from my wallet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.