United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In an earlier thread,
ludo naute wrote:
The game with the expansion Marshal & Prisoners is not made for 2 players only. You need at least 2 Bandits + the Marshal. If not, it is not balanced at all.

The Marshall character module requires a minimum of 3 players, then, but what about the other parts of this expansion?

Mei you can pretty obviously play on her own in base Colt Express.

Could you add the prisoners/prison car on its own to the base too, without requiring 3 players? Or is this part of the imbalance discussed in the quote above?

In other words, can you play each of the three modules included in this expansion independently, and is it only the Marshall module that requires a minimum of 3 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myles Mulroy
United Kingdom
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mei easily works in the base game without anything else from the expansion, yes this is true. Thinking about it, brilliant ideas can also slot in on their own.The prison car and sidekicks, on the other hand, are wholly dependent on the brilliant idea cards being in play.

You could play with the prison car, sidekicks and brilliant ideas without the Marshall, though I think you lose out on a lot given that no bandit would be able to get arrested and there's no threat of losing whichever sidekick you acquire...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mylestrom wrote:
You could play with the prison car, sidekicks and brilliant ideas without the Marshall, though I think you lose out on a lot given that no bandit would be able to get arrested and there's no threat of losing whichever sidekick you acquire...

Thanks! From what you describe, that might be good enough for my group. I was thinking that perhaps the prisoners/sidekicks advantages would offset the hostages disadvantages when playing with the Horses & Stagecoach expansion.

I'm sure they'll want to eventually play as the Marshall too, but I didn't want to invest in this expansion if it just didn't work at all without someone having to play as the Marshall. I appreciate your input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Watrous
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Like any other Klingon: looking for a worthy opponent.
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, I think the Marshall & Prisoners expansion is better than the Horses & Stagecoach expansion.

I have played the Marshall twice. He is a very fun character to play. Other players have to actively confront (punch/shoot) the Marshall when he is played, or else he reaches his objectives and wins without much difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.