Gloomhaven» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Need insights - Faster Marathon Campaign mode rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Rosenoir
Canada
flag msg tools
Hello,

Next week, me and some old D&D friends I haven't seen in 15 years are planning a sleep-over-full-week-end-marathon game session of Gloomhaven like we used to do with D&D back in the days (a long long time ago...) We will probably never play the game together ever again so we would like to get a much faster campaign mode to see a bit of the story, character progressions and even get to unlock two characters at least.

Now I know the game is not intended to be played faster and that we will loose a lot of the experience but that's how we would like to play it. So please play along and don't go trying convincing us we shouldn't do that!

So I imagine that we will have 25 hours of play time with 4 players. So that is about 9 to 10 scenarios. So reading a lot of suggestions in the forums I've comes with something but need to know if this will totally screw up the game. Please keep in mind that I know it will screw it up a little bit. What I'm looking for is not perfection but I want to make sure that my idea won't totally ruin the experience in the end

1 - Play 1 scenario out of 2. For the scenario we would pass, we would do as if we had win it and apply achievment, loots, etc.
2 - Doubling XP and Gold for each PLAYED scenarios
3 - having 2 Battle goal cards each PLAYED scenarios to get perk faster
4 - Having 3 personal goal card so to have more flexibility on which will trigger retirement. All 3 cards are discarded once retirement happen (maybe just 2?)
5 - Allow players to sell equipment (auction style at starting price of 50% the price) to each other
6 - Playing two road or city event cards EVEN FOR PASSED scenarios (I really need your thoughts on this one)
7 - Only play scenario below 51 as, I think, everything over that are side quest right?

I know character XP don't influence much the play experience so my main concern is to have the city's prosperity going up faster and getting life goals fulfilled faster

So basically you see that I'm mostly doubling everything because we would play one scenarios out of 2. So we should be able to play the equivalent of 20 scenario which, from what I've read, should allow us to unlock at least 2 characters and have a good feel of the story. Is that right?

Is there any scenarios we should be playing no matter what?

And last, could I triple everything to get things going even much faster? Is that pushing my luck!

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
9 scenarios Will take you roughly 24-30 game hours when all is said and done. I recommend playing scenario 1 at level 1 and then:

A random scenario in the 20's at level 2, 30's at level 3, 40's at level 4, and all the way through a final battle scenario in the 90's at level 9 (pick one that has a boss).

Double your gold in each scenario, make all the equipment available, do road and city events, and add the needed stickers to the board for each scenario to get the legacy feeling. Feel free to swap characters when auto leveling or stick it out with one all the way through. I'd probably just stick it out with one to watch him or her grow stronger with each passing game.

You could then start over in your own campaign and find out how all the cool places you visited with your friends were found. That's how I'd do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
SAUTRON
Loire Atlantique
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
first let me state that : your game, your rules.
Play it the way you want it.

But

(of course there's a but)

Gloomhaven is all about tactical combat. Leveling up, unlocking new classes is the icing on a wonderful cake, made of several layers of commitment to one hero.

So by doing that, yes you will unlock more classes, yes you'll level up really fast. But you'll lose the essence of the game.

Gloomhaven is not D&D in a box, it's more like FF tactics.

have a nice weekend

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I think there's a scenario flowchart in the files section somewhere. You could check that and plan out a fast route through the main storyline.

For personal quests, if you've only got that many scenarios to go, I suggest reducing the requirements for most of them if you'd like to see some classes unlocked.

For instance, of the type do X 5 times, then Y, perhaps change that to do X once, then Y.

For do X 12 times, try 6?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, instead of having more personnal quest cards, I'd recommend reducing the number of times you need to do something.

Double gold, XP, check marks and prosperity gains, but I wouldn't play more Road cards, playing 2 City cards between played scenario should be fine.

If it wasn't already your plan, definitely read the story of skipped scenarios (for D&D players that should be a given) as the writing is actually good!

Sticking to the main campaign is also probably a good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lucus Trout
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RemiBureau wrote:
Yes, instead of having more personnal quest cards, I'd recommend reducing the number of times you need to do something.

Double gold, XP, check marks and prosperity gains, but I wouldn't play more Road cards, playing 2 City cards between played scenario should be fine.

If it wasn't already your plan, definitely read the story of skipped scenarios (for D&D players that should be a given) as the writing is actually good!

Sticking to the main campaign is also probably a good idea.

I like this. You might consider playing on easy also? It should make the actual scenarios play faster.

I would consider looking at a scenario to see if you want to play it out before skipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.