9 Posts

Too Many Bones» Forums » Rules

Subject: Failed battle encounter question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Grogg
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In the 1.0.1 rulebook it says to discard the encounter when its over. Is the encounter considered "over" even if you lose the battle? In Ricky Royal's playthrough, he mentions that if you lose a battle, you need to try it again the next day and it will be harder because your BQ will be highter. But I couldnt find anything in the rulebook that specifically mentions that encounters must be successfully completed before moving to the next one. My gut is that its discarded regardless of outcome but am looking for a clear answer. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
black hole
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
This is a terrible way to read Korte FWIW.
badge
Korte is STILL a black hole on d3.
mbmbmb
Posse91 wrote:
In the 1.0.1 rulebook it says to discard the encounter when its over. Is the encounter considered "over" even if you lose the battle? In Ricky Royal's playthrough, he mentions that if you lose a battle, you need to try it again the next day and it will be harder because your BQ will be highter. But I couldnt find anything in the rulebook that specifically mentions that encounters must be successfully completed before moving to the next one. My gut is that its discarded regardless of outcome but am looking for a clear answer. Thanks

I'm pretty sure regular encounters are discarded but you may re-attempt the final tyrant encounter as many times as you want within the day limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Grogg
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply and yes, you are right about the tyrant. Im thinking those are the only encounters you can retry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There may be some that require you to succeed in order to continue. Lots of encounters have yet to be teased in videos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
Some encounters are not passable until you succeed.

Most are discarded

Tyrants never* go away until you beat them

*but never say never, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Grogg
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. I hope you are enjoying the game Ricky!
*jealously slams fist down while muttering incoherently*
soon....soon...all will be well soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Irwin
United States
Bad Axe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is from the tyrant section, but references regular combat encounters as well.

A failed Tyrant battle is handled the same as an
unsuccessful Encounter battle and can be tried
again if you have enough days for another try.

I am assuming that it is your choice weather you stay and fight another day, or run

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Steed
msg tools
IMO, discarding failed encounters is problematic. It's entirely possible the mission cannot be completed because the encounter deck no longer contains the required progress points.
Forcing players to go through the motions of unwittingly playing out an unwinnable game is a somewhat harsh punishment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Carlson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mb
Bruce, in the game setup section we discuss that if you run out of encounters, you may have to pull more from the box. The only thing that should keep you from winning Bones is running out of days. You are always able to replenish Encounters.

As Ricky said, there are some Encounters (such as the 2nd Special Encounter), that go back to the top of the Encounter deck if you don't complete it. Most are discarded however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.