15 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Rules

Subject: Move X and Counting Space in Blocking Terrain rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rachi C
msg tools
mb
What is the difference between "move X" and "count X squares" when there is Blocking terrain?

1) Count X -Pounce (Nexu)

Is it possibile to count across Blocking Terrain?

[N][N][B][E][E]
[N][N][B][E][E]

Pounce

---------------
[E][E][B][N][N]
[E][E][B][N][N]
---------------

Is it correct?

N=Nexu, E=Empy, B=Blocking Terrain, or Rebels (it's same, right?)
- = Wall

2) Move X - Charge (GharKhaan)

[G][E][B][E][E]
[E][E][B][E][E]

charge

[E][E][B][E][G]
[E][E][B][E][E]

Is it correct?

G=Gharkhan, E=Empy, B=Blocking Terrain or Imperials (it's same, right?)

Thank you very much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When moving, you manually move the figure one space at a time, counting off the movement point cost (for normal movement) or counting off the movement spaces (if given movement spaces). Large figures are limited to moving orthogonally, not diagonally. Mobile figures can exploit the ability to cross over Blocking and Impassible Terrain throughout movement. If the movement is normal and the figure does not have Mobile, extra costs are incurred for entering spaces with Difficult Terrain and/or entering spaces with hostile figures.

When counting spaces, you count how many spaces are between the source space and destination space. You do not take into account whether the figure counting the spaces is Large, nor whether it is Mobile. You can count through Impassible Terrain, but you cannot count through Blocking Terrain. You do not need to add extra costs for Difficult Terrain nor for hostile figures.

Thus...

1) This is not possible if [B]=Blocking Terrain. You cannot count spaces through the Blocking Terrain.

It is possible if [B]=Rebels. You can count spaces through figures regardless of whether they are hostile or not.

If the Nexu was moving instead of using Pounce, it could move to the spaces shown regardless of what [B] represents. It would cost the Nexu three movement points.

2) This is not possible if [B]=Blocking Terrain. Gaarkhan does not have Mobile, so he cannot enter Blocking Terrain spaces.

It is possible if [B]=Imperials. When moving X spaces, you ignore additional movement costs for moving into spaces with hostile figures. Provided Gaarkhan's Speed is 4, he will be able to move the 4 spaces needed to reach the destination point.

If Gaarkhan where using normal movement instead of Charge and [B]=Imperials, it would cost him 5 movement points to get to the destination, as entering one of the spaces with a hostile figure would cost one additional movement point. Unlike the Nexu, he still couldn't move there if [B]=Blocking Terrain though, as Gaarkhan does not have Mobile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Even with the good explanation from Clipper, I want to emphasize that Move X spaces is not using Counting Spaces - the figure moves one space at a time.

Borrowed from my answer to a related question in FFG forums:

Blocking terrain spaces are not adjacent to any other space (or adjacent to a figure).

You cannot count spaces through walls, doors, nor blocking terrain spaces or edges. (See Counting Spaces)

Also, corners where any combination of wall, door, and blocking terrain meet also block counting spaces and line of sight.

Move X spaces does not use counting spaces. You move 1 space at a time. If the figure has Mobile or Massive, the figure ignores blocking and impassable terrain while moving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom cap
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really, guys, I do understand the precise explanations and it's very important for new players like me to be able to rely on more experimented players, but isn't this being picky with the wording and against the spirit of being mobile?

I mean the nexu can move through blocking terrain without any penalty, but it can't pounce over it?
Does it really make sense?
Also it doesn't seem very intuitive, does it?

Note that I understand the explanations above, I merely wish to point out that it doesn't make much sense to me nor seem very intuitive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
tomfromparis wrote:
I mean the nexu can move through blocking terrain without any penalty, but it can't pounce over it?

There are always corner cases, but yes, it also makes sense if you think about it more. What does blocking terrain represent? Obstructions which a regular figure cannot move through - but Mobile figures can fly over or around or scale walls, buildings or huge trees. However, all of those things are still too large for the Nexu to jump over in one jump (Pounce).

Also you may want to consider that Counting Spaces can use diagonals while regular large figure movement can only use orthogonals. Thus, when going around corners, a lot of times Pounce can already get the Nexu further away than regular movement with 6 movement points would.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tomfromparis wrote:

Consider that even though blocking terrain blocks counting spaces, the Nexu can still be placed with parts of it occupying blocking terrain after the pounce. So, let's say you want to pounce something that's across blocking terrain from where you are; if you can count to a space that's adjacent to the blocking terrain, you can place the Nexu so that it occupies the blocking terrain, causing it to be adjacent to the figure you want to attack. When a mobile or massive figure occupies blocking terrain. The edges of that space do not block adjacency to or for that figure.

Hope I explained this correctly...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
tomfromparis wrote:

Consider that even though blocking terrain blocks counting spaces, the Nexu can still be placed with parts of it occupying blocking terrain after the pounce. So, let's say you want to pounce something that's across blocking terrain from where you are; if you can count to a space that's adjacent to the blocking terrain, you can place the Nexu so that it occupies the blocking terrain, causing it to be adjacent to the figure you want to attack. When a mobile or massive figure occupies blocking terrain. The edges of that space do not block adjacency to or for that figure.

Hope I explained this correctly...

Hey, this leads me to a question of my own: can you count zero spaces for the pounce?

NNBT
NNBX

N = Nexu
B = blocking spaces
T = target
X = empty

Assume there are walls above and below, so the blocking terrain cannot be counted around. Can the nexu count zero spaces to one of the right spaces it already occupies, effectively moving itself one space over to the right to occupy the blocking spaces and attack the target?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another reason the rules are like this is so that you don't have a problem with having multiple ways to count spaces.

Consider if the Nexu had a ranged attack for some reason (let's say it's a land shark with a frikkin' laser beam attached to his head). Now, when counting spaces to its target, does it take Mobile into account? Of course not! So now you need a rule so that it's clear when you count spaces taking Mobile into account and when you don't. This would quickly get out of hand.

If they wanted Pounce to take the Nexu's movement benefits and restrictions into account, it would just use movement as the instruction rather than placing it in a space within 3 spaces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
Assume there are walls above and below, so the blocking terrain cannot be counted around. Can the nexu count zero spaces to one of the right spaces it already occupies, effectively moving itself one space over to the right to occupy the blocking spaces and attack the target?

I suppose so, but it doesn't really matter too much. In most cases, you could count 1 space from one of the Nexu's spaces to another space it occupies, then replace it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
csouth154 wrote:

I suppose so, but it doesn't really matter too much. In most cases, you could count 1 space from one of the Nexu's spaces to another space it occupies, then replace it.

I suppose counting from a space it occupies to another non-blocking space it occupies would be counting one space. My mind didn't want to think of it that way...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachi C
msg tools
mb
Clipper wrote:

a1bert wrote:

Thank you both for the perfect explanation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachi C
msg tools
mb
csouth154 wrote:

Hey, this leads me to a question of my own: can you count zero spaces for the pounce?

NNBT
NNBX

N = Nexu
B = blocking spaces
T = target
X = empty

As far as I understand, Nexu can't end Pounce on Blocking Space, so

NNBT
NNBX

Pounce

ENNT
ENNX

Shouldn't be possible.

But can just use 1 MP to do the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lunottina wrote:

As far as I understand, Nexu can't end Pounce on Blocking Space, so

NNBT
NNBX

Pounce

ENNT
ENNX

Shouldn't be possible.

As long as the space counted to is not blocking terrain, a Nexu, because it is mobile, can indeed legally end with some of it occupying blocking terrain.

Quote:
But can just use 1 MP to do the same thing.

My example was assuming all MP had been used with Nexu's first action to get it to the point where the example begins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Craig is right here. You can Place a Mobile figure into Blocking Terrain, you just count can't usually count spaces into it.

Here is how to handle Pounce in simpler steps:

1: Choose one of the spaces that the Nexu occupies.
2: Count from that space via adjacent spaces without crossing walls, blocking terrain, doors, etc. until you have chosen another space within 3 spaces.
3: Place the Nexu so that it occupies the chosen space so that its other 3 spaces are valid for ending movement. These other spaces could be Blocking Terrain, or straddling Impassible Terrain, but they cannot contain other figures or have the Nexu straddling a Wall or Door.
4: Perform an attack targeting a hostile figure adjacent to the Nexu.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom cap
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok thanks a lot for the explanations

Cheers !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.