Chris Nyrhila
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
We have played a number of 18xx games recent

18OE

I would say we enjoyed all of them or at a minimum certain aspects of each individual game including minors, stock market fluctuation, mergers, etc.

In all of these games there seems to be a lot of money - both in the company treasuries and in the players bank. Most players and companies could purchase at will either track, station tokens or trains.

We have played 1830 and 1856 which seem to be the opposite - money is very tight and the games feel more about buying/selling stock instead of managing rail companies.

I am looking for your recommendations - which 18xx game we should play next. Ideally it would be in the same family as the titles above - BUT have much tighter economics in game. I want to agonize over paying out vs keeping dividends, struggle with the decision to station a critical city - you get the point.

Thanks - C

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Denison
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1849 is a very brutal game that you struggle to make money on. I hear 18Ireland would also fit that description. I just got done playing 18MEX and that was crazy as well in terms of cost. There was terrain everywhere. 1856 was one of the most brutal ones I remember playing as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Martin
Canada
Ottawa
Ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1846 Is well designed and balanced, has lots of replay value and the first game should be no more than 5 hours to players familiar with 18xx (dropping towards three hours with experience) It's also available and relatively cheap as 18xx's go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
fluffyevil wrote:
1846 Is well designed and balanced, has lots of replay value and the first game should be no more than 5 hours to players familiar with 18xx (dropping towards three hours with experience) It's also available and relatively cheap as 18xx's go.

I agree, and it's my favorite 18xx game. It should be observed, however, that it's a fairly rich game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
nardisme wrote:
I want to agonize over paying out vs keeping dividends...

In practice this is rarely actually a hard decision, but it may not seem that way to new players.

Other games you might look into:

1873 (while actually fairly rich, makes those decisions notably difficult)
18Ireland (only if you can regularly get at least 5 and preferably 6 players)
Rolling Stock
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wilson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
nardisme wrote:
. I want to agonize over paying out vs keeping dividends, struggle with the decision to station a critical city - you get the point.

I would add 1862(East Anglia). One of the few games I play where withholding is often the Right Thing To Do. You buy the tokens up front - they are free to place - but how many to buy? Plus, how much to bid for the better railways? Full cap or partial? When/if to merge? Not the simplest of games, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hutton
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ian D Wilson wrote:
nardisme wrote:
. I want to agonize over paying out vs keeping dividends, struggle with the decision to station a critical city - you get the point.

I would add 1862(East Anglia). One of the few games I play where withholding is often the Right Thing To Do. You buy the tokens up front - they are free to place - but how many to buy? Plus, how much to bid for the better railways? Full cap or partial? When/if to merge? Not the simplest of games, however.

... added to which 1862/EA has 0.8 and 0.8333 trains...

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Ian. I would suggest that - were it readily available - 1860 is probably more in line with the original request. Everything is tight apart from the government's largess. But I also understand it is a bit of a Marmite game, mostly because it turns a lot of your decision-making on its head. The most apposite description I've been told is that it looks friendly, but turns out to be intense. The other issue is that it only handles 2-4 players, which may be fewer than you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.