Spheres of Influence: Struggle for Global Supremacy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cease Fire vs Rocket Fire rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Park
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
We ran into a situation that we were unable to resolve (we found an alternative).

A player played Cease Fire on Ankara during their turn and moved out all but one of their armies from the space. Another player (me) attempted to play Rocket Fire on Ankara and we couldn't agree with whether or not that was legal.

I fully admit, I'm going on wording, not theme of the card, but the wording of the two cards:

Cease Fire: Play this card at any point during the mobilization phase. Choose a territory. That territory cannot be attacked or moved into by any faction until the start of the next round. If the units occupying that territory attack any adjacent space, cancel this card's effect.

Rocket Fire: On your turn, if you control a territory adjacent to another territory controlled by only a single unit, you may play this card. Remove that unit from the board and replace it with one of your own by placing a new unit into that territory.

I didn't see anything in the FAQ or in the discussion boards. In the community's opinion:

Is it possible to use Rocket Fire on a Cease Fire territory? Is it possible to use Rocket Fire, but not replace the unit (as one could interpret that as moving in)? Is Rocket Fire fully usable against Cease Fire?

This is a question to determine future outcomes. In this case, we just rocket fired on Spain from a controlled sea zone, instead. But we could not come to consensus about how the cards worked against each other.

Opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Park
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Though now reading the rules, that actually wouldn't have been permissible, as sea zones aren't territories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Septyn
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
SEKRIT MESSAGE SSSHHHHHHHHH
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rocket Fire doesn't say anything about attacking or moving into a territory, which are the restrictions of Cease Fire. Thematically it wouldn't be allowed but by strict reading of the cards I'd say it's ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Yeah, "Removing" units is not the same as "attacking", so the rocket fire would be allowed I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps Rocket Fire needs a different name, like Hybrid Warfare, where a military ceasefire is no protection against infiltration by a hostile power (themewise, consider what happened in Crimea).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rafamir wrote:
Perhaps Rocket Fire needs a different name, like Hybrid Warfare, where a military ceasefire is no protection against infiltration by a hostile power (themewise, consider what happened in Crimea).

Yeah I've always felt the same way, Rocket Fire feels thematically more like a sneaky political/military annexation than a pure military offensive action. The Crimea is one good recent example of a larger power seizing territory from a smaller weaker power without open warfare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
I would think Rocket Fire means an actual firing of rockets and thus is an attack. The cease fire negates that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Park
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Oiler1 wrote:
I would think Rocket Fire means an actual firing of rockets and thus is an attack. The cease fire negates that.

I would agree that would be accurate thematically. But in terms of reading the cards and the rules, I don't believe Cease Fire negates it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.