12 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cragheart Level 2 Card Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr. Corn

Washington
msg tools
See question in spoiler text, in case some people aren't looking at level 2 cards yet. Nothing else spoiled.

Spoiler (click to reveal)

Can I use the top action on Explosive Punch to just melee attack an adjacent enemy like any other melee ability. Or do I have to destroy the obstacle to perform than attack at all? If there is no obstacle, can there be an attack?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charilaos Bacharis
msg tools
mb
From the FAQ

Can I choose to not perform specific parts of an action?
You can choose not perform any or all parts of an action if you want, such that you could discard a card and not use it at all. You cannot change the order of the abilities in the action, though, and you do have to perform any part of the action that would have a negative effect on yourself or your allies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Corn

Washington
msg tools
gparali wrote:
From the FAQ

Can I choose to not perform specific parts of an action?
You can choose not perform any or all parts of an action if you want, such that you could discard a card and not use it at all. You cannot change the order of the abilities in the action, though, and you do have to perform any part of the action that would have a negative effect on yourself or your allies.

I'm not sure that clarifies in this case. The question I have really relates to the targeting part of the Attack 4 action. If I don't complete the obstacle destruction part of the action, my question is if I'm required to target only those enemy's adjacent to the obstacle or if I'm able to still target as usual for a melee attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to know this too. This seemed like a very situational card to me, since you on't know when an obstacle will even be around. Can you only use it if there is an obstacle to destroy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I don't think you could just use the attack without the obstacle (at least that's how I played it). Basically the cards lets you pick something up and smash it into the enemy, so without obstacle, no attack 4(?) from the card.
Cragheart can create obstacles quiet nicely himself though, so it's not too hard to combine it with that.

You can always use it as a basic 2 attack as any other card, but everything else is connected to the obstacle destruction imho.
I guess using it as only attack 4 would also be somewhat a waste for a card as it is lost afterwards, so at least using it as only a 2 attack lets you discard and not lose it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Edson
msg tools
You "can" use it, but it wouldn't do anything. The attack specifically targets things adjacent to the obstacle, so if you're not able to destroy an obstacle, nobody is adjacent to it, no one can be targeted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This seems like a very good question to me, and something for the Cragheart FAQ.

I suspect the intention is typically for combo'ing with obstacles Cragheart creates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Norphinkr21 wrote:
You "can" use it, but it wouldn't do anything. The attack specifically targets things adjacent to the obstacle, so if you're not able to destroy an obstacle, nobody is adjacent to it, no one can be targeted.

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Corn

Washington
msg tools
Cephalofair wrote:
Norphinkr21 wrote:

This.

I've been boardgaming for about 20 years and this kind of immediate response from the community and Isaac directly are the reason why Gloomhaven sits at the top of my favorites list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Laurin
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge wrote:
I would like to know this too. This seemed like a very situational card to me, since you on't know when an obstacle will even be around. Can you only use it if there is an obstacle to destroy?

There's a list of obstacle tiles to collect to prepare a scenario, but you won't know where they are until you open the room they are found in.

But that is mostly an aside. The Cragheart can create his own obstacles!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lucus Trout
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrTroy wrote:
ebridge wrote:

There's a list of obstacle tiles to collect to prepare a scenario, but you won't know where they are until you open the room they are found in.

I'm going the "Obstacle" route, if you will with my Cragheart and it's really rewarding. It's weird what cards I'm leaving in he box, but the obstacle combos work so well. A later level obstacle card has really saved me vs more difficult shielded enemies where the 'ol move next to it, deal 1 damage wasn't cutting it anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
lucusvonlucus wrote:
MrTroy wrote:
ebridge wrote:

I'm going the "Obstacle" route, if you will with my Cragheart and it's really rewarding. It's weird what cards I'm leaving in he box, but the obstacle combos work so well. A later level obstacle card has really saved me vs more difficult shielded enemies where the 'ol move next to it, deal 1 damage wasn't cutting it anymore.

I'm going the same route with my Cragheart. Every level (except one, I believe) has an option that has something to do with obstacles. So my path is set, even though there may be more optimal options.

Messing with obstacles is just really fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.