Michael Bacon
United States
Farmington
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been holding off on One Deck Dungeon because I thought I'd always just play Hostage Negotiator instead. Are they different enough to warrant owning both? I've seen a playthrough and realize it's fairly different, but they occupy some of the same space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Teti
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I guess Thematically they are different enough. I was never interested in Hostage Negotiator. One deck dungeon was a surprise to me and really enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Pinheiro
Portugal
flag msg tools
mb
valzi wrote:
I've been holding off on One Deck Dungeon because I thought I'd always just play Hostage Negotiator instead. Are they different enough to warrant owning both? I've seen a playthrough and realize it's fairly different, but they occupy some of the same space.

I had hostage negotiator, played a couple of times, but the theme and mechanics didn't real appeal to me, end up selling it.
I bought one deck dungeon and love it, they are really different games, I think you should have both or try it at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought those two games together. ODD sees more tabletime, it's faster and more fun. Hostage Negotiator is also good, but it's not fun unless you really get on a roll and save everybody. I guess the theme takes out of it a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre C
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
And ODD has the print n play files so you can always test it out to see if it really appeals to you first before committing to buying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Brackenridge
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
Ask the same in 1 Player guild. Much more focused a group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
valzi wrote:

They're quite different. I own and am keeping both.

HN's hostage takers have very different personalities that impart a different rhythm depending on which one you're taking on.

ODD's heroes impose their traits on each playthrough, so that's where the variety comes in for ODD. The boss monsters need different dice to take on effectively too, but it doesn't feel like they influence the game as much as the hostage takers in HN.

ODD has a lot more dice manipulation going on.

The draw deck and die rolls can hose you in both, but other than that they feel very different to me. YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bacon
United States
Farmington
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
msg tools
Dino DNA!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're really different games. They're both solo(able) and they both use dice and have a deck of cards that acts as a timer, so I guess you could see a couple parallels related to those aspects. That's interesting to think about. ...for the most part their similarities end there. HN has a hand management aspect where you are trying to play the right cards as the right time to manage the "threat level" while also working toward plays that will free hostages. Aside from a basic risk/reward consideration there doesn't seem to be any obviously analogies to these things in ODD. The flow will of the game is very different from ODD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Q: Why would a solo player who has Hostage Negotiator want to play One Deck Dungeon?

A: They are both fun games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.