Subject: VR Pod Promo Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cole Feeser
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a question about the VR Pod promo card. The card says as follows: "This attraction can be counted as having any theme you choose." When do I declare what theme this Attraction has? When I build it or at the end of the game? If it is when I build it I can subsequently change the theme it has?

I ask because what if I build the Attraction and declare it has a Jungle theme, then later draw a Jungle theme upgrade card, could I then change the theme to something else (like Pirates) so I could then build the Jungle theme upgrade onto the ride?

Would it be possible, in the moment to declare that the VR Pod has a different theme for the sake of completing multiple different Blueprint cards? For example, could I say the VR Pod has a Jungle theme to satisfy part of the "The Quiet Jungle" Blueprint card then later declare it has a different theme for the sake of a different Blueprint? Granted there is currently only one Blueprint card that requires a leisure ride with a theme but who know what future expansion theme packs might have which is why I ask.

Oh and another question, is it possible to declare that the VR Pod has a theme that isn't in play? I mean let's say I'm playing with Gangsters/Pirates. Could I say the VR Pod has a Vampire theme thus allowing me to build both Gangster and Pirate theme upgrades onto the Attraction?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Long
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good questions
We have always played the VR pod can have a chosen theme at each point of the game. So you can built another theme onto it later. However it can't have multiple themes at the same time. So at scoring it can't have the Jungle theme and also have a Ninja theme. It's one or the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no restrictions on themes on attractions. You can play as many themes as you want on an attraction as long as they are not the same theme. I believe the VR Pod can count any theme you want that you haven't already built onto it as an upgrade.

Therefore, anytime a card comes into play (such as a blueprint) that requires an attraction with a particular theme then the VR Pod automatically fulfills that requirement. It can basically change its built in theme at will.

Thematically it's like you just change which program you load in the VR Pod to show a particularly themed activity in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My hat? Definitely not a mind-control alien, no.
mbmbmbmbmb
DaFees wrote:
I had a question about the VR Pod promo card. When do I declare what theme this Attraction has? When I build it or at the end of the game?

In earlier versions, the card had a limitation that it could only be counted as one theme at any time, but this was removed before the final release version, so Paul was correct for that version.

The current wording allows it to be counted as any theme. If a blueprint needs a Vampire theme, it is. If another blueprint needs a Jungle theme, it is.

We may revise the wording slightly for the final version when it's printed in its expansion, if there's ongoing confusion about how to interpret it, but the intention will remain the same.

Darkranex has the thematic angle - the software can change the theme in an instant.

DaFees wrote:
Oh and another question, is it possible to declare that the VR Pod has a theme that isn't in play?

Yes! It would specify "any theme available in the theme packs in play" if that was a restriction. So you can use the VR Pod to have three themes on an attraction in a 2-player game. There may be other reasons in future...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delith Malistar
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
mbmbmbmbmb
joelfinch wrote:
There may be other reasons in future...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Long
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joelfinch wrote:
so Paul was correct for that version.

But really he was just wrong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Feeser
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know if anyone will see this unless I point it out to them buuut I did think of another good question. Can I say/argue that the VR Pod does NOT have a particular theme? Main example being is if my opponent has the Skullcliff Stronghold built in their park can I say that my VR Pod does NOT have a Pirate theme so they get less of a bonus during the Guests step?

Thematically I feel like the answer would be yes because while it makes sense that a VR Pod COULD have any theme it could also NOT have any given theme. One could just say, "Oh we don't have that experience installed on these pods right now."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My hat? Definitely not a mind-control alien, no.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm subscribed to all the things for Unfair, so I get a notification for any new posts - your comment is visible don't worry

There's no need to argue that the VR Pod doesn't have a particular theme, it's there on the card

The card doesn't say "This attraction has all themes", but rather:
Quote:
This attraction may be counted as having any theme you choose.

"You" refers to the owner of the card, and "may" means the choice is not forced but at your discretion. You're obliged to tell other players what theme you wish to count the VR Pod as having, whenever they enquire, but you're not obliged to make it any particular theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.