tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Soares
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This question has been raised here a couple times.

As one of the main aspects of the game is negotiation, I don't believe (and it seems to be the generalized opinion) that a two player variant won't work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try to play without the alliance mechanic. Probably have to remove the betrayal mandate as well, since with only two players it would almost always end up being a wash (I replace one of your figures, then you play the other copy and replace one of mine).

I don't think it would be much fun - for example, I'd rather play Kemet or Blood Rage, both of which have full-featured two-player implementations. But, in a pinch it would probably work okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Gasparetti
Italy
Trecastelli
An
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryanmaesen wrote:
Any hope of a 2 player variant?

This isn't a 2 players game.
The mechanics work only with more people at the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryanmaesen wrote:

There won't be an official 2-player variant. As others have mentioned, negotiation is one of the key elements of the game, and there's no way to sustain that in a 2-player game.

There's been some discussion on BGG about creating a solo variant with "automa" players, but I suspect the AI automation would get too complicated for my tastes.

I've been working on a 2-player variant myself, but rather than trying to use AI players to prop up the negotiation element, I was going to strip it out completely, and just have three "minor clans," which the two players could ally with to multiply their action bonuses and block their opponents' objectives.

But I can't finalize anything until I have the rules, and I can't playtest it until the game comes out, so this is going to be a very long process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thilo M.
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is that with >22k pledges several people will try to make 2 player rules. If this will lead to a good variant has to be seen...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Greetings Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone is allowed to try the game at 2 players, or try their hand at a variant. But CMON had made it quite clear that the game was never meant to be played at 2. So if you do and the experience is lacking, hopefully you won't come back here and blame the game! ;^)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
United States
Rocky Hill
CT
flag msg tools
To be vulnerable ...
badge
... is needed most of all.
mb
Not to be rude but ...just play a 2 player game. There are a million of them. I'll never understand the requests for 2-player rules in negotiation games or team games or hidden role games. Not every game needs to be 2 players and a lot of games shouldn't be 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are already some initial stabs at a 2p variant (I threw out one in some thread somewhere), and there will be more. Frankly, though, I don't think you'll have a very good experience playing a negotiation/betrayal game with two players. I would suggest keeping 2p Rising Sun as a rare exception (if at all), rather than your expected norm. That is, save it for those occasions where you had your heart set on playing Rising Sun, but last-minute cancellations left you with only two (and even then, it might be better to play something else).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel M
United States
Glencoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ryanmaesen wrote:

Best I've seen so far... simple and get it done: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/28134713#28134713

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.