Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Outfoxed! has been a hit lately with my wife and two young kids (3 and 6). I suspect it's because we all work together and try to win as a team so there's no bitter feelings if we lose.

What else would be they like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
My kids lovedMax, and it's a game the kids could play by themselves. As you might guess, there's not much there for you, but that doesn't diminish it as a game for youngsters.

I see that you already have Forbidden Island. That would be my next suggestion.

If you'd like to try venturing into cooperative storytelling/roleplaying, try The Nighttime Animals Save the World.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lampeter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoot Owl Hoot would be excellent for the 3 year old. For the 6 year old, I second the suggestion to pull out Forbidden Island. I started my 5 year old with a hand size of 6 and one notch below the Novice level to build confidence with a couple wins. It's great because you can easily increase the difficulty ("Should we make it a little harder?"). I let them make their own decisions but sometimes need to remind them of their options ("Would you like to use your special ability?")

I haven't found anything quite like Outfoxed, though. It really hits the sweet spot for playing with those divergent ages (my own small gamers are ages 3-7).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I am not familiar with Outfoxed, so this is more of a general recommendation based on playing games with kids.

Family Pastimes has a lot of cooperative games, most of which are suitable for kids. My daughter likes Granny's House the best, followed by Princess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sitnam wrote:
Outfoxed! has been a hit lately with my wife and two young kids (3 and 6). I suspect it's because we all work together and try to win as a team so there's no bitter feelings if we lose.

What else would be they like?

I've played a lot of coop games with my kids. Our favorites have been Round-Up and Max and The Secret Door from Family Pastimes, especially at younger ages (3-7). Forbidden Island is a great next step. Then maybe Escape: The Curse of the Temple (real-time), Mysterium and Flash Point: Fire Rescue as the next step after that when you're getting into games with a bit more rules and details.

I've never played Outfoxed, so I'm not sure exactly what I'm comparing with. I suspect it's more like the first three I listed. Round Up is super simple and great, IMO. I've suggested it a lot over the years and people who go for it seem to be happy they did, but it can be a bit tougher to find than the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Desert

Forbidden Island

Castle Panic

+1 Flashpoint: Fire Rescue

If you want a little more complex:

Shadows Over Camelot

A popular co-op that I've found over-rated (but I'm in a distinct minority here) is Pandemic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huff
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 5 year old and he loves to play Richard Scarry's Busytown: Eye found it! Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Lim
Philippines
Iloilo
Oton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leo is definitely for kids, that adults can enjoy too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
Australia
Colonel Light Gardens
SA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Leo. Plenty in it for both kids and adults.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Ghost fightin treasure hunters is a good co-op where you're trying to clear the house of cute little ghosts - a roll and move with far more to it. It has a hard mode too so it will grow with your family.

Mmm! Is a fun little game too, where you try and feed your mice food on a grid before the cat meeple gets you. Again, it has a harder mode with larger food to make it easier for that pesky cat to move towards you faster.

Sorry they're not links, i dont know how to easily do them on my tablet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got Outfoxed for my family and it reminded me a lot of Maskenball der Käfer. This is another co-op for kids, and it has got awesome components and is a lot of fun. I have rarely been as certain recommending a game as this time, I am absolutely sure it would work out great for you!

However, it is probably hard to find in the US. Good news is that it seems readily available in Germany. Brettspielsuche can be used to find online stores with available copies, some of them have decent shipping prices.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dvdfjojo wrote:
Ghost fightin treasure hunters is a good co-op where you're trying to clear the house of cute little ghosts - a roll and move with far more to it. It has a hard mode too so it will grow with your family.

I second that one, though you might want to look at the retheme, Ghostbusters: Protect the Barrier Game. It's the same game, but it includes an optional Rowan figure, so there are really four difficulty levels available: easy and hard, both with and without Rowan. Plus the Ghostbusters version is $10 cheaper on Amazon.

As far as gameplay, I gather that it's kind of like a lighter version of Flashpoint (I haven't actually played Flashpoint).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Ash
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Castle Panic worked well for my boys when they were 4 and 6 (ignoring master slayer). I would also recommend Max and Busytown for the kids to play together and Mysterium for the 6 year old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berthold Nüchter
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
I am the walrus
badge
checkpoint
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoowasit? is a good co-operative game and even fun for adults but I think the kids should be at least 5 years old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JB
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One Deck Dungeon
My kids love it !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
My 4 year old has been enjoying Mice and Mystics with me. There is some reading, but I just tell him what his options are on his turn and he does them. He really likes the art and the minis and the idea of being a mouse fighting bugs and rats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JB
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
My 4 year old has been enjoying Mice and Mystics with me. There is some reading, but I just tell him what his options are on his turn and he does them. He really likes the art and the minis and the idea of being a mouse fighting bugs and rats.

Our family went through the whole Mice & Mystics campaign and it was a blast. Although my kids were a little older.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john greeb
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Peaceable Kingdom has several family coop games, many specifically for the younger kids.

http://www.peaceablekingdom.com/shop/subcategory?name=cooper...

I noticed they have a new one designed by Matt Leacock, designer of Forbidden Desert, Forbidden Island & Pandemic.

Mole Rats in Space

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ralya
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Engine Publishing (enginepublishing.com)
badge
The Forgotten Bananas
mbmbmbmbmb
From around 3-5, my daughter enjoyed Mermaid Island quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough (will trade by mail)
TN
flag msg tools
badge
I've played and recommend these co-ops for your age range (some others mentioned seem like quite a stretch):
+1 Hoot Owl Hoot!: this can get surprisingly thinky if you want it to
+1 The Secret Door: a memory game with enough of a twist to be interesting
+1 Richard Scarry's Busytown: Eye found it! Game: need a LOT of space (the board is six feet long)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Riggs
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I see I'm not alone in recommending Family pastimes for that age range.

We have children of similar ages (4 & 7) and have been playing them since the elder was 3. I think we now have 17 FP games, I've only listed a dozen of our kids titles. We also have 2 Peaceable Kingdoms games that see some use.

One thing I've found about FP that isn't often mentioned is the variety of themes. Some of the games are quite similar in mechanics but hey, if the child likes boats more than gardens gues which gets the most play no matter how similar?

That's caused me to buy several at once which is why we have so many now. I just got a 1986? version of Mountaneering to intro the elder to the 7+ titles and it's a hit.

They have over 40 games for your childrens age range, and another big plus is you can get 4-5 FP games for the price of 2 modern/recent brand games. https://familypastimes.com/collections/3-to-7-years

I've decided I love cooperative games, and am really looking forward to intorducing my kids to the more complex adult games like Pandemic. Kids have converted me from a more videogame player to a more boardgame player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Riggs
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
One other thing I've done with my kids,

Repurpose other games. With only the tinies bit of thought I've found that most -Thinkfun- games can be made into cooperative games by writing new rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bolger wrote:
I just got Outfoxed for my family and it reminded me a lot of Maskenball der Käfer. This is another co-op for kids, and it has got awesome components and is a lot of fun. I have rarely been as certain recommending a game as this time, I am absolutely sure it would work out great for you!

However, it is probably hard to find in the US. Good news is that it seems readily available in Germany. Brettspielsuche can be used to find online stores with available copies, some of them have decent shipping prices.

Good luck!

Amazon.com has it; that's where I bought my copy.
https://www.amazon.com/Maskenball-Kafer-Kinderspiel-Jahres-B...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Hoot Owl Hoot!
+1 Leo

My nieces (3&5) enjoy them. And, so do I.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronny Alexander
United States
Centrevillle
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We made a list of co-op games for kids on our site last year. Peaceable Kingdom makes a ton of great kids games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.