Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Deb Cutler
United States
Cross Plains
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in a league that is halfway done and who will lose is now a given since they will never have enough money to upgrade to a level that is competitive. In Isle of Skye there is a mechanic that gives players in the rear a hand up. I was wondering if something like that would be beneficial to league play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Kjerland
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Hi, Deb,

How many teams in your league? How many teams usually play in a game?

The league rules are designed for leagues with around 10+ teams. This enables the low-ranked teams, who get to pick their opponents first, define their opponents in the next game. If there are not a lot of teams to choose from, this balance mechanism is not as powerful. And it makes it harder for the low-ranked teams to catch up.

The league rules are also designed for 4-team games. In 4 team games, the league leader is usually ganged up on, which helps even out the wins/losses. If you're only playing 2-player games, it makes this impossible.

In any league, there is the possibility that low-ranked team will get outmatched in the later half of the season - as often happens in real sports. If this is something you want to avoid, instead giving all coaches a better chance to win throughout the entire season, you can try some of these optional rules:

1. Double the number of Edge tokens awarded for the Underdog bonus.

2. Instead of (or in addition to the normal number of) Edge tokens, a coach with a lower-pit power team can hire (for free) a maverick before the maverick auction. The value of the maverick must not exceed the difference in pit power between a coach's team and the team with the highest pit power in the game. (This simulates a maverick wanting to help out a team he likes but who isn't performing as well as expected.)

3. For every 1,000,000 difference in pit power, the lower ranked teams also gets one extra Coach Card.

4. Other ideas, folks?....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Cutler
United States
Cross Plains
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the league going on in the Madison, WI area. We are doing a shortened league the first time. 8 teams (more like 7 since one player has stopped showing up) and we are only doing 6 games.

I like those ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
duncanid wrote:
This is the league going on in the Madison, WI area. We are doing a shortened league the first time. 8 teams (more like 7 since one player has stopped showing up) and we are only doing 6 games.

I like those ideas.

Erik always has the answers. There is a fluidity and comprehension that makes him a great designer. I always feel like he has three seasons planned ahead and he gives all of our questions thought before giving a solid answer. Kudos to you, Erik!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Kjerland
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Thanks, Deb, Reed!

For option #2, don't forget to subtract the value of your normal athlete (the one the maverick will replace), before calculating the value of the maverick you can hire.

And if this still leaves you behind, you can optionally still get Edge tokens and extra coach cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Dog
United States
New York
flag msg tools
My group starting a mini league with 4 teams. We decided the first week would be a 4-player battle followed by 1v1 on the quad for the next three games and then another 4-player battle for the last game. We then plan to play a final between the top two teams and a toilet bowl between the bottom two. So far it has become apparent that the Carnage team is broken when fielding 2 slashers and 2 butchers all with furious chop. Furious chop is only a 100K upgrade but is one of the best you can get for a bashy team. During its last two games the Carnage team cleared out the opposition within 3 rounds and basically played the game solo while the other player waited for No Time to Bleed (which the Carnage player had both sitting in his hand). I understand there are strategies to counter this, but they are very hard to pull off. When I start another league I don't think we will use upgrades because of how unbalanced it becomes - we will simply use the standard exhibition lineup all season long without any upgrades beyond what they start with.

That being said, I think this is a great game and I have ordered all the expansion teams. I play it all the time and really enjoy it. This game has many catch-up mechanisms built in the game play, but when it comes to season upgrades it suffers from the same issue that other fantasy sports games do in that as soon as you start making upgrades balance is lost (especially when the upgrades are not random).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.