Hide
10 Posts

Kingdomino» Forums » General

Subject: 3 players and all the pieces in play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Popov Victor
msg tools
is it possible to play 3 players with all the pieces? would we need to make a 6x6 grid for it to work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Zimmer
United States
Decatur
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bubu91 wrote:
is it possible to play 3 players with all the pieces? would we need to make a 6x6 grid for it to work?

Yeah, it would need to be 6x6. If you get to play a few games, please share your experiences​.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a good variant! I think randomly removing tiles for three players, as directed by the rules, it's good for gameplay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Popov Victor
msg tools
i don 't think that removing is a good ideea the game becomes too random for me. I like to know what tiles are in the deck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Yi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I came up with a "Computer Player" variant, recreating a 4 player game:

Computer Player Variant (for 3 players)
Play the game as if it were a 4 player game, placing out 4 dominoes each round, and using one meeple of each color. One player piece is designated the Computer Player (to make it easy, you can lay it down on its side instead of having it stand). Determine the player order, and make the Computer Player 4th in turn-order.

Each player takes their turn like normal, and when it's the Computer Player's turn, it will take the higher value available tile. Therefore, the first round, it will grab whichever one is left. It will always follow that simple programming in all future turns.

Example: On the first round, players grab Tiles 1, 3, and 4 (in ascending value). The Computer Player will place its meeple on Tile 2. The subsequent round, four new tiles are laid out, and the player who took tile 1 chooses Tile 4. The Computer Player now follows its programming to claim the highest value available tile, which is now Tile 3.

The Computer Player will change player order frequently depending on what other players decide to grab, so it simulates somewhat decently, but very simply, what a 4th player would do. You don't build the kingdom of the Computer Player, nor score points for it. It's there to interact with the line-up of tiles each round, and allows all 48 tiles to be used each round.

I've tried this a few times and I've really enjoyed it. I'm happy to take some feedback if you'd like. Let me know if it resolves your concern. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Popov Victor
msg tools
it doesn't work with all tiles and a 6x6 grid in 3 player games you re left with holes in your kingdom, even if you are very efficient. also with 6x6 you can't keep your castle in the center of your kingdom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Zimmer
United States
Decatur
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bubu91 wrote:
it doesn't work with all tiles and a 6x6 grid in 3 player games you re left with holes in your kingdom, even if you are very efficient. also with 6x6 you can't keep your castle in the center of your kingdom

The 2-player variant of 7x7 will leave you with 1 hole minimum in your kingdom, but alas it is as close as you can get.

I don't find putting the castle in the center a big deal; I don't play with the "bonus" for doing so because that makes games feel samey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Popov Victor
msg tools
iamzimmer wrote:
bubu91 wrote:

The 2-player variant of 7x7 will leave you with 1 hole minimum in your kingdom, but alas it is as close as you can get.

I don't find putting the castle in the center a big deal; I don't play with the "bonus" for doing so because that makes games feel samey.

whay do you mean by 1 hole minimum? i almost always manage to get a complete 7x7, but not always keep the castle in the middle haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Zimmer
United States
Decatur
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bubu91 wrote:
iamzimmer wrote:
bubu91 wrote:

whay do you mean by 1 hole minimum? i almost always manage to get a complete 7x7, but not always keep the castle in the middle haha

Aye, math is hard.

The last time I had played a 7x7, I guess both of us hadn't gotten a perfect grid even though it is possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Fori
msg tools
iamzimmer wrote:

Nope, no hole. (7x7)-1 castle=48 tiles or 24 dominos.

----------------------------

Here is an idea for 3 players, 2 of them playing as team. Use the team rules, putting 1-1 castles 4 tiles from each other so they can touch and combine kingdoms. The 1 player playing against the other 2 has 2 castles and controls 2 kings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.