Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steffen Beck
Germany
Passau
flag msg tools
designer
mb
A) during the "Force Increase Determination" phase, who places their armies/legions first?

B) i managed to raise four legions during the "Force Increase Determination" phase. On the Roman army display sheet there is only one box specifically named "legion", so the consular army boxes are used for individual legions as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A.) Rules don't specify who builds first. However, I've found that it doesn't matter typically, but should it, I would roll a die.

B.) If you used CR10.13 Legion Request Table and received 4 Legions, then you now have two Consular Armies. You would place I and II Legion in the Consular Army I box, and III and IV Legion in Consular Army II box. each of the Legions has two components, an RL and AL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Beck
Germany
Passau
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Thank you so much. I was thinking of splitting them up (as per CR 10.21), where one could have as many as 8 different forces from these four legions. More practically though, i would exchange one legion for a siege engine. Since my legion box on the sheet is already filled by a single legion, raised during a manpower operation, will that third remaining legion occupy one of the unused consular army boxes?

Also, since all praetors are in play for me, both of these new forces (the consular army and the single legion) would be headed by a proconsul?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sugadaddy wrote:

Also, since all praetors are in play for me, both of these new forces (the consular army and the single legion) would be headed by a proconsul?

A single Legion can be led by a Praetor, and you are allowed only ONE Praetor on the map at a time. If you have two Legions not in the same hex, they are both still commanded by a Consul/Proconsul. Only Consuls/Proconsuls can lead armies. Effectively, as soon as you get two Legions, they need to be placed under the command of a Consul/Proconsul and made into a Consular Army.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Beck
Germany
Passau
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Dr Brian wrote:

A single Legion can be led by a Praetor, and you are allowed only ONE Praetor on the map at a time. If you have two Legions not in the same hex, they are both still commanded by a Consul/Proconsul. Only Consuls/Proconsuls can lead armies. Effectively, as soon as you get two Legions, they need to be placed under the command of a Consul/Proconsul and made into a Consular Army.

"(CR 5.24) No more than one Praetor may be assigned during the Roman Elections segment. The Roman player may, however, assign a Praetor over this limit in any other phase or segment if needed to command a lone Legion."

That's what happened since i assigned the first praetor to a fleet, the second to the lone legion that was raised during an OC manpower operation, because i thought that single legions need to be led by praetors (CR 5.29 Elect a Praetor for any single legion raised).

I can't find it in the rules where it says that two single legions (raised at separate times) automatically become a Consular army. Thanks again-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sugadaddy wrote:
[q="Dr Brian"]

I can't find it in the rules where it says that two single legions (raised at separate times) automatically become a Consular army. Thanks again-

Perhaps it was a Q&A clarification, but in any event, it is there intuitively. First, during elections, you can only have ONE Praetor lead a single Legion. During elections at a later point in the game, you can't have 2 single Legions because that would now put two Praetors on the map each leading a Legion.

Even if one is in Africa, and the other is in Roman Italy, they are now a Consular Army and you need to combine them, as Consuls must have a Consular Army (which consists of two Legions). See CR5.23 on Proconsuls.

That was the Roman way ... strict and non-negotiable.

Doc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.