Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Rake
United States
Richardsville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that the unique miniatures stretch goals have been achieved and it has been confirmed that they will be included as the default component in the base game, is there any chance it would be possible to replace the cube images on the cards with an image of the specific miniature?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trakes wrote:
Now that the unique miniatures stretch goals have been achieved and it has been confirmed that they will be included as the default component in the base game, is there any chance it would be possible to replace the cube images on the cards with am image of the specific miniature?

Thanks!

I wonder how many people like me will be replacing the minis with cubes? It's not that I mind the minis - I don't - but I have grown fond of using the cubes in the Birth of America series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Skirmish_Tactics wrote:
trakes wrote:
Now that the unique miniatures stretch goals have been achieved and it has been confirmed that they will be included as the default component in the base game, is there any chance it would be possible to replace the cube images on the cards with am image of the specific miniature?

Thanks!

I wonder how many people like me will be replacing the minis with cubes? It's not that I mind the minis - I don't - but I have grown fond of using the cubes in the Birth of America series.

That's a valid comment in general, but even I, as a cube fan too, am getting tired of these comments that don't relate to the original question. If the game has minis as standard they are what the game is, whatever preferences individuals may have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Skirmish_Tactics wrote:
trakes wrote:

Thanks!

That's a valid comment in general, but even I, as a cube fan too, am getting tired of these comments that don't relate to the original question. If the game has minis as standard they are what the game is, whatever preferences individuals may have.

Oh yea, totally agree. It would be odd for the cards to have cubes when the cubes are replaced in all copies of the game. (sorry - didn't mean to threadjack!)

Actually, I see they have now made wooden cubes a $5 add-on, presumably for people just like me who would rather have those. Which is great for me, but confuses the issue about the cards. So some people will use cubes, some minis - and the cards will only have one or the other. Is it clear what the post-Kickstarter version of the game will ship with - cubes or minis?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Densham
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trakes wrote:

Thanks!

Interesting... Well, here's the deal: We are beating our artist up trying to get ready for another game down the line, and we were hoping to get these rules off to the printers very soon (the August delivery goal and all), so not sure if the time delay and risk of having a miss-match is worth it.

Honestly, this never came up in our pre-KS discussions. We are so used to cubes (like many of you it seems) it never entered our head to use figures instead of cubes for the rules & cards. Just goes to show you can go over something a million times and one fresh perspective can shift it all.

I'm not going to make any promises, but I will bring it up!

Thanks Rake!

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Richardsville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for chiming in Tim! I originally was in the cube camp having liked them a lot in 1775. I felt they were a staple of The Birth of America series and gave the game an elegance and identity of Academy Games. I felt like every game offers minis nowadays and didn't want the change.

Now that I have seen the minis and really thought about it, I have to be honest with myself and I do really like them and believe they will add to my gaming experience so I'm happy they are going to be the default component in the base game. I'm not going to bother with adding the cubes add-on like I innially planned.

After thinking about that I noticed how the cards still showed the cubes and while I'm familiar with the cubes and the previous games, it might seem confusing to someone new to these games if the card shows cubes but there are none in the game. I felt an image of the miniature would be much clearer for people. Personally its not that big of a deal or it doesn't bother me that much but from a design and usability point of view I would change it if it's not too difficult to do at this stage. Just my two cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fiomtec
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
Watcha looking at?
mbmbmbmbmb
Please don't take the cubes off the cards. It's bad enough that we have to eat the minis and pay extra for the cubes.

My two cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fiomtec wrote:
Please don't take the cubes off the cards. It's bad enough that we have to eat the minis and pay extra for the cubes.

My two cents.

But you can't deny that having images that aren't representative of the components actually present in the box is a bit weird.

I mean you are essentially asking them to compromise the visual design of their game in order to satisfy a few people who would prefer to use wooden cubes over the components the game is supplied with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sheldon
United States
Springfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you also going to change the cubes symbols on the board as well? I think it is fine to leave the cube symbols on the cards (and the board). People will be able to tell what they mean even if they are using the minis. (Which look great!)

I wonder if changing the cards (and board) would add time to the production of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Mikael Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trakes wrote:

Thanks!
Really hope you can manage to do this! Would be weird to have cube symbols all over the game, when using these cool unit minis!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
unic wrote:
trakes wrote:

Thanks!
Really hope you can manage to do this! Would be weird to have cube symbols all over the game, when using these cool unit minis!

There could always be a third option of having neither the cube nor the mini pictured, just a unique symbol and the number in that colour. There are plenty of ways to very clearly show the required information without depicting game components.

In hindsight, maybe this would've been best in the other games too? As much as the factions in all games are represented *BY* cubes, they are pf course thematically NOT cubes, but soldiers etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leaving the cubes on the cards and the pre-set starting positions on the map is no big deal as THEY ARE COLOR-CODED. Can Academy Games just snap their fingers and make those changes happen without delay? I was good with cubes until I saw the minis. I liked them... Then the minis 'evolved' twice and the final poses of the green and red minis just don't do it for me. The second evolution of the minis was the best IMO, with the two sides looking different as opposed to the first set. Too bad they're no longer available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
unic wrote:
trakes wrote:

Thanks!

There could always be a third option of having neither the cube nor the mini pictured, just a unique symbol and the number in that colour. There are plenty of ways to very clearly show the required information without depicting game components.

In hindsight, maybe this would've been best in the other games too? As much as the factions in all games are represented *BY* cubes, they are pf course thematically NOT cubes, but soldiers etc.
Good idea, it seems like the movement cards already make do without cubes so why not use the helmets/crowns from them in the faction colours everywhere?

If that doesn't work for some reason I think minis symbols would be the logical choice over cube symbols. Like it or not (and I'm solid in the "not" camp) this game is meant to be played with minis, not cubes. If Academy are going to make that change then they should do it properly and not half baked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Densham
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, our artist was working on this through the weekend, and with Uwe's approval, the art across the game will reflect minis instead of cubes. Apparently the maps have not had the actual map layer added, so it won't mess up the production. Or they are still setting up for the map production. Either way, the art will show minis now, and I've been told it will NOT impact the production schedule. Which is my biggest concern.

So there you go. Some folks will be happy, others disappointed, but pretty sure this will be the final version.

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Mikael Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great to hear

- one of those who are happy that the other components will match with the pieces
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Qui Peccavit
Angola
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Better a great game a few weeks later than a good one a little earlier
Tim of Academy wrote:
I've been told it will NOT impact the production schedule. Which is my biggest concern.

It shouldn't be.

As crowdfunding backers, one is used to delays due to all kinds of unforeseen circumstances, although the most obvious reason -- publishers announcing too optimistic a schedule for marketing reasons -- is the most common one.

If a game is being made better, if components are exchanged for others of higher quality or if the artist touches up the board and cards, that's absolutely worth the wait. Quality should never be compromised and chances to enhance a product further never be disregarded just to push something out the door earlier. If the end product is a jewel to behold and fun to play throughout the years to come, a couple weeks more in the pipeline are insignificant in comparison. If it is not, then what's the rush to get the mediocre heap of carton earlier?

Of course there are always some infantile whiners who want it now, but keep in mind that the overwhelming majority of reviews and ratings will be based on a product's components and mechanics, not on its date of delivery. Given the exaggerated prices for crowdfunding-financed board games, you want to make sure to ship out the best version of 878 that you possibly can, because that will create a more numerous followership for the next project than a timely delivery of a less appealing game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.