Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Kingswell
United Kingdom
Epsom
Nr. London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi All, I am new to AGoT, but played MtG for a while.

If I have about £80 to spend, and bought 2 core sets with part of this fund, what should I buy next to make the strongest decks? 2 deluxe expansions or select say 3 chapter packs?

What would be the implications of doing either?

Assuming I had some more budget over the next 3 months or so, would you buy another core or some more expansions?

Many thx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say no 3 chapter packs can get you noticeably stronger decks than three cores - you get one or two cards x3 per faction in each. At best you get around 6 new cards across three packs. The best decks use cards from all over the cycles and deluxe sets.

Two deluxes and a third core, in any order, will give you the most variety for two factions. The two cycles of chapter packs so far might give you about 24-28 new cards (x3) per faction, while a deluxe has twice as many.

Focus on the big boxes, then get the packs as you can afford to get them, and look forward to the championship deck. You might even want to buy several of those just to get the essential neutral cards everybody uses.

The third deluxe (The Watch) is also on the boat, so perhaps a month to six weeks from now you can grab that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kingswell
United Kingdom
Epsom
Nr. London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Makes sense, many thanks.

So why aren't Stark & Lannister decks much stronger than all other factions, given they have deluxe expansions out and the others dont?

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lelas
Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ACTING TALENT!
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want the "There Is My Claim" pack for Valar Morghulis and Shadow Tower Mason, two pretty awesome cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ShooterUK wrote:
Makes sense, many thanks.

So why aren't Stark & Lannister decks much stronger than all other factions, given they have deluxe expansions out and the others dont?

meeple

Deluxe boxes tend to spice up the corresponding faction with strategies and mechanics that differ from what is available in the Core. There are more viable "archetypes" for Stark and Lannister because of the deluxe offerings, but that doesn't necessarily mean any of them are the best.

For example, the Stark box adds a lot of House Tully (with power manipulation), and sacrifice-based effects. Neither of these are strong mechanics in Core, so the Deluxe didn't really make existing Stark decks much stronger, but just introduced a lot of different options for Stark decks.

And quite often the cards in the deluxe are new versions of unique characters in the Core. For example, if you want to use the deluxe version of Tyrion to play a clansman deck, you won't be using the Core version of Tyrion. That's a pretty substantial trade off - core Tyrion is one of the most efficient and versatile cards in the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kingswell
United Kingdom
Epsom
Nr. London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you thats very useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.