40 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Coolest Strategies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gavin Nop
msg tools
What are the coolest/unintuitive/deepest strategies you have seen in a game?

The chapel strategy in Dominion is one of my favorites. Basically any strategy in Tigris and Euphrates is pretty neat as well. Are there any other games that just surprised you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Illuminati: New World Order. Build a deck entirely made up of cards that annoy other players. (Make them discard cards, screw up their hands etc.)

Deliberately leave yourself undefended.

Play the goal that allows you to win when by being destroyed.

This only works once, mind you. And then your friends threaten to punch you if you ever use that deck again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In Karesansui, penalties become more extreme as more penalties are handed out. While it is possible to play a perfect game with no penalties, sometimes it's best to intentionally make mistakes early in the game and rack up some early penalties. This both clears your board and makes later penalties harsher. Two or three early penalties for a couple points each may be totally worth sticking someone else with a ten point penalty at the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "starvation strategy" in Stone Age (intentionally not dedicating workers to collecting food for your people, and paying the seemingly severe penalty for not feeding them while gaining sufficient compensation for your workers doing other stuff) always sounded cool to me. (But the few times I tried it myself, I failed miserably, heh...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timmo Warner
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a Magic Deck that literally contains no win condition. It deals no damage and doesn't have any cards which cause you to win under specific conditions.

All it can do is delay the opponent from killing you.

It DOES, however, have a card that force you and your opponent to play off the top of each other's deck. Once you cause the switch you start to play with your opponents winning deck and them from yours. Eventually you break through the defences and win.

The best part is when your opponent draws a copy of the card causing the switch, eagerly plays it, and then realizes the wording on it STILL means you play off each other's decks. It doesn't revert back. =oD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I copied this from a review of Machiavelli. I think this qualiifes as a "cool strategy", although it seems to be only an opening move.

Machiavelli review wrote:
I played one game where I was able to take out my neighbour on the very first turn of the game. I hate to say it but I lied to him. I let him think I was his ally and I borrowed money from him. I used this money to disband two of his armies and to gain control of a third. On the first move I marched into his two provinces where his armies had been disbanded and used the third army to take control of his third and last city. He was out. I now cringe at the thought of it and ask myself how could I ever have acted in such a way to a person who trusted me. Needless to say I didn’t have to repay the money I had borrowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another bit of strategic tomfoolery from Illuminati: New World Order.

To give the context, if you play the same Illuminati you count as rival factions and can't share a victory.

Apart from the Shangrai La. Who, being peaceful types, all share a joint win if there are Peaceful groups with a total power of 30 in play.

Arguably, that's mostly supposed to be there for thematic flavour reasons.

However, it means that in a six player game, five of you can all secretly collude before hand to reveal Shangrai La as your Illuminati. Leaving one poor player (let's call him "Andy R") playing the Servants of Cthulhu while the rest of the group all snigger.

I miss being able to find players for NWO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also this glorious moment from Warhammer 40,000. It almost makes me want to play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A strategy for the Fremen in Dune is to focus on collecting all the spice blows and getting into fights with everyone constantly.

The idea is to hoard the spice and fill the tanks with defeated troops until someone notices that no one has any spice, everyone is claiming CHOAM charity and they can't afford to recover their troops fast enough to deal with those pesky Fremen terrorists who can replenish their troops cheaper and deploy for free.

Once this becomes painfully clear to your opponents, you should have a relatively easy time walking I to three strongholds for the solo win.

It's a difficult strategy to pull off, it requires a longer game than any other faction would care for...But the moment when every other player realizes that they can't afford to recover troops, deploy them, or buy combat cards...It's a thing of thematic beauty!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'll admit I wasn't able to pull this one off.

I was playing a two player game of Suburbia. Two of the goals that came up opposed each other; one scored points for having the most residential tiles and the other scored points for having the fewest residential tiles. So it looked like we would just split those two tiles.

But early on in the game, the Law Office tile appeared and I quietly bought it. The player of the Law Office tile wins all ties for scoring tiles. My plan was to keep buying residential tiles at the same rate as my opponent so we'd end up with the same number at game end. Then we would tie for both having the most and the fewest and I would point out the ability of my Law Office.

Unfortunately my opponent noticed the Law Office's ability and figured out what I was doing. She made sure to buy a residential tile at the end of the game to keep our number unequal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
There's also this glorious moment from Warhammer 40,000. It almost makes me want to play the game.

Speaking of cheesey immediate wins, in the old SPI wargame Sauron, the Sauron player could immediately win a marginal victory by simply retreating all their units off the map on their first turn, with no combat occurring and the game ending immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wolkey
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Lots of oldies, but goodies out there,

* The Corn & Small Warehouse strategy in Puerto Rico.

* The timely double-move in many different games.

* The Monopoly card after heavy trading in Settlers.

* The well placed hidden AT Gun in ASL.

* The mana/resource denial strategy in Mage Wars and Legend of the Five Rings. And probably many other games.

* The Missionary & Trade Goods strategy in Age Of Empires III.

* The Metal strategy in Pillars of the Earth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wolkey
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:

Thusly named, 'When one Rules Lawyer trumps another Rules Lawyer.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if you attempted to come up with the top 10 coolest, most innovative strategies in all of board gaming, 10 of 10 would probably come from Magic: The Gathering.

Pete (is constantly amazed by player ingenuity in that game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wolkey
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
I think if you attempted to come up with the top 10 coolest, most innovative strategies in all of board gaming, 10 of 10 would probably come from Magic: The Gathering.

I don't think so. I bet Advanced Squad Leader players could come up with a lot more than Magic players...

But, I doubt euro gamers would be interested in hearing either. gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Clarke
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:

Reading the facial expression of the 3 people in the picture is funny. The guy in white looks dumbfoundedcry. The ref looks bemused, whilst the guy in black has a smug look because he knows know matter how many times they look at the rules he has won

Does the guy in white use that tactic all the time to win? If so its obvious someone would find a clever way to defeat it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first that comes to mind for me is sacrificing material to gain position in chess

..but most games I've played has some intriguing strategies I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Harris
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TimmoWarner wrote:
I have a Magic Deck that literally contains no win condition. It deals no damage and doesn't have any cards which cause you to win under specific conditions.

I used to play a magic deck that won by forcing your opponent to draw down there entire deck. It was pretty crazy to see when it worked (spoiler... it only worked quickly about 25% of the time)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicholas M wrote:
I copied this from a review of Machiavelli. I think this qualiifes as a "cool strategy", although it seems to be only an opening move.

Machiavelli review wrote:
I played one game where I was able to take out my neighbour on the very first turn of the game. I hate to say it but I lied to him. I let him think I was his ally and I borrowed money from him. I used this money to disband two of his armies and to gain control of a third. On the first move I marched into his two provinces where his armies had been disbanded and used the third army to take control of his third and last city. He was out. I now cringe at the thought of it and ask myself how could I ever have acted in such a way to a person who trusted me. Needless to say I didn’t have to repay the money I had borrowed.

Seems quite appropriate for a game called Machiavelli.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gnnop wrote:
What are the coolest/unintuitive/deepest strategies you have seen in a game?

Win when they're not looking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Clarke
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolkster wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

I don't think so. I bet Advanced Squad Leader players could come up with a lot more than Magic players...

But, I doubt euro gamers would be interested in hearing either. gulp
I would like to here some strategys for ASL. Didn't know it was played competitively played at tournaments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Raver84 wrote:
I would like to here some strategys for ASL. Didn't know it was played competitively played at tournaments?

I've recently become interested in ASL (and am ordering ASL SK1), partly because it has such an established player base, tournament scene, strategic discussions in websites and magazines, etc. ASL seems clearly among the most successful wargames in terms of that kind of social infrastructure and activity.

E.g. a 5-second web search reveals several websites with tournament listings:

http://aslladder.com/asltournaments.html
http://www.advancedsquadleader.net/index.php?title=Tournamen...
http://www.asltourneys.co.uk/heroes.html
etc

It's kind of cool. Seems sort of analogous to Chess, Go, Shogi, etc, but for a modern wargame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Clarke
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Raver84 wrote:

I've recently become interested in ASL (and am ordering ASL SK1), partly because it has such an established player base, tournament scene, strategic discussions in websites and magazines, etc. ASL seems clearly among the most successful wargames in terms of that kind of social infrastructure and activity.

E.g. a 5-second web search reveals several websites with tournament listings:

http://aslladder.com/asltournaments.html
http://www.advancedsquadleader.net/index.php?title=Tournamen...
http://www.asltourneys.co.uk/heroes.html
etc

It's kind of cool. Seems sort of analogous to Chess, Go, Shogi, etc, but for a modern wargame.
I like chess. Having to think a couple of moves a head. I noticed that there are a lot of expansions for this game. What would be a good place to start? If I was any good or really enjoyed the game i'd like to try competitive games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Raver84 wrote:
I noticed that there are a lot of expansions for this game. What would be a good place to start? If I was any good or really enjoyed the game i'd like to try competitive games.

The usual recommendation seems to be Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #1 (which is where I'm starting). (I played and enjoyed original Squad Leader back in the 80s but have not yet played ASL. Nostalgia for SL and reading about ASL through the years has nudged me into finally trying ASL in the form of ASLSK.)

The Starter Kit rulebook is a distilled/simplified version (12 pages for basic infantry battles) of the full rulebook (which is like 200 pages or something). Have a look at a few reviews in the ASL SK1 forum (and in the forum of the main base game Advanced Squad Leader) to get a basic feel for the whole ASL phenomenon.

Be warned that ASL's rules are the opposite of the simple minimalistic elegance one finds in abstract strategy games like Chess, Go, Shogi, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Barton
England
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Raver84 wrote:
I noticed that there are a lot of expansions for this game. What would be a good place to start? If I was any good or really enjoyed the game i'd like to try competitive games.

The usual recommendation seems to be Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #1 (which is where I'm starting). (I played and enjoyed original Squad Leader back in the 80s but have not yet played ASL. Nostalgia for SL and reading about ASL through the years has nudged me into finally trying ASL in the form of ASLSK.)

The Starter Kit rulebook is a distilled/simplified version (12 pages for basic infantry battles) of the full rulebook (which is like 200 pages or something). Have a look at a few reviews in the ASL SK1 forum (and in the forum of the main base game Advanced Squad Leader) to get a basic feel for the whole ASL phenomenon.

Be warned that ASL's rules are the opposite of the simple minimalistic elegance one finds in abstract strategy games like Chess, Go, Shogi, etc.

Sorry to go off-topic, but for anyone looking to try the ASL starter kits, note that the manuals are pretty dire. I highly recommend Jay Richardson's fantastic tutorials, available in the appropriate SKs' file sections.

Though I'd say it was a cool strategy to help learn to play ASL SKs, so maybe it's not totally OT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.