Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Three new characters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
possum man
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I decided to make new Military/Political/Pilot characters, with those from the show not yet made officially. Some abilities are not named yet. All feedback welcome!

Tyrol [Military]

On New Caprica, Tyrol evolves into a Militaistic Leader.

2 Leadership
2 Tactics
1 Engineering

Setup: Armoury

OPG: Improvised Explosives - Action. Damage Galactica 3 times, and pick a Cylon ship type. Destroy all of that type of ship on the main board.

Ongoing: Change of Heart - When the Airlock is activated, you may increase or decrease the difficulty by 3.

Drawback: Blinded by the Cause - You may not look at other players' loyalty cards.

Elosha [Political]

A religious prophet, she exerts her influence over the President.

2 Politics
1 Leadership

Setup : Administration

OPG: Action - Select a card from the Quorum discard pile and play it as if you were the President.

Ongoing: At the end of you Draw Skill Cards step, you may draw 2 skill cards from the skill set of the President and/or Admiral.

Drawback: Civilian - You may not activate Command or FTL.

Bulldog [Pilot]

1 Leadership
2 Piloting
1 Tactics
1 Tactics/Piloting

Setup: Launch in a viper.

An old friend of the Admiral - does his influence bring hidden consequences?

OPG: Influence over the Admiral - When the fleet jumps, but before a destination is chosen, draw the top 3 cards of the destination deck. Put one on the bottom of the deck, and the other two back on top.

Ongoing: Trick up his sleeve - After cards are revealed but before Strength is totalled for a skill check on your turn, you may add one extra Piloting card to the skill check.

Drawback: Pursued - Start with 3 Raiders in your space area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chief: None of the other alt characters change their drawsets when changing type, so I don't see any real reason for Chief to do so either.

His OPG is completely ridiculous as a Cylon. Especially if you get the Damage Galactica reveal card, at which point getting an XO is basically an instant win. As a human, 3 damage to Galactica is a huge price to pay most of the time. I'd tone the numbers here down a bit. "Action: Damage Galactica once and destroy either: 1 Basestar; 2 Heavy Raiders; or 5 Raiders on the main game board."

Asides from that, he seems fine. The general ability is usually weak but it has some uses. The drawback is quite minor as well.

Elosha: Seems pretty good overall to me. Her general ability is almost always going to give her access to Pol, Lea and Tac, reasonably often Eng and occasionally Pil. That's quite nice flexibility. The rest of her card doesn't seem super exciting but it's okay. The OPG seems like it could be powerful as a human lategame - whatever that one necessary Quorum Card was, you can basically duplicate. As a Cylon, it's going to be a lot more situational on what gets played.

Bulldog: I don't like his draw set. No other Pilot has access to 3 Piloting, although I guess it's a split draw so ehh. His general ability seems terrible most of the time. Make it add any one skill card and it'd probably be fine. His drawback affects the team more than himself, and arguably it's an indirect upside for him as he's likely to get an early XO. So I'm not a fan of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
possum man
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
His OPG is completely ridiculous as a Cylon. Especially if you get the Damage Galactica reveal card, at which point getting an XO is basically an instant win. As a human, 3 damage to Galactica is a huge price to pay most of the time. I'd tone the numbers here down a bit. "Action: Damage Galactica once and destroy either: 1 Basestar; 2 Heavy Raiders; or 5 Raiders on the main game board."

You're absolutely right - an XO leading to 5 damage on Galactica is a bit much. I'll change to the toned down version.

Quote:
Bulldog: His general ability seems terrible most of the time. Make it add any one skill card and it'd probably be fine.

I considered that, but didn't know if it made him a bit too good at skill checks. He's probably got 3 different colours in his hand, does it make skill checks a bit too easy to pass on his turn?
I gave him the option of 3 Piloting cards because he's got no special abilities relating to piloting. I see what you're saying about the drawback... I'll have another think on it.

Thanks for the feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Possible drawback for Bulldog: Old Dog: When Bulldog launches, he must take a Mk II Viper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
possum man
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Possible drawback for Bulldog: Old Dog: When Bulldog launches, he must take a Mk II Viper.

I did consider this (love the name) but then it relies on the player having Exodus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
possumman wrote:
Quote:

I did consider this (love the name) but then it relies on the player having Exodus.
And using the CFB.

It could also work with Daybreak, as he'd be denies the AR (Assault Raptor).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Hey!
mbmbmbmbmb
I really think adding one-off characters harms character synergy.

In this instance, I would want to add abilities/downsides that match the theme of this character's episode (entitled "Hero"). Yet, that episode, in my opinion, is more about exploring Adama's struggle with military decisions that decide who lives and who dies. Ultimately, it's strange to add such a character to the selection when the subject character is arguably intended to further flesh out the William Adama character. (A character that is most deserving of more attention for redesign/reimplementation).

However, it's a fun mental distraction, so here's my attempt.

SUPPORT (Pilot eligible)

(Black Ops/Veteran) Upside: At the start of your draw step, draw four skill cards of any type.

OPG (Expendable) - When a game effect would target another character, Bulldog may interrupt as the new target.

Downside (Deceived): At the beginning of the game, view the loyalty of the Admiral player. Then, the Admiral views the loyalty of Bulldog. These cards may not be examined by any other players until Galactica reaches 4 distance. (Ignore Exodus Loyalty effects).

Design notes
-Bulldog spent the last three years being tortured by Cylons. He only survived because his black ops training, although the mental abuse he endured reduces his draw.
-Bulldog was shot down by Adama, in order to avoid the breaking of the Armistice. This may have provoked the cylons to act.
-Bulldog was "allowed" to escape by the cylons to create turmoil between Admiral Adama and Bulldog discovering the truth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.