Geoffrey Greer
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It says in the rules that crew can remain unassigned, but does that mean they have to stay in the "unassigned" bar until a turn when I assign them or re-roll them with a commander, or can I simply discard unwanted crew to the "returned "box" to be re-rolled on the next turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Capozzi
United States
Andover
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
“Here’s to long life and a merry one. A quick death and an easy one. A pretty girl and an honest one. A cold beer — and another one!”
mbmbmbmbmb
It's my understanding that at the end of a turn you'll gather them with those you've assigned to be rolled again on your next turn.

Edit: Just checked the rules. Under "Playing the Game", step 6: "Gather Crew: Return your assigned crew and any dice that were set aside back to your available pool..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Greer
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcapozzi1 wrote:
It's my understanding that at the end of a turn you'll gather them with those you've assigned to be rolled again on your next turn.

Edit: Just checked the rules. Under "Playing the Game", step 6: "Gather Crew: Return your assigned crew and any dice that were set aside back to your available pool..."

Hmm. So the wording suggests you can't just "dismiss" a crew result. Thanks for helping me sort that out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't have to assign a crew die. If you don't want to assign it, just set it aside. You will pick them back up during the gather phase.

However, rules order is very important.

If you don't assign tactical crew, they are still eligible for the consequence of friendly fire because that effect occurs on step 4, while the gathering happens at step 6.

Same applies to a threat that sends a crewmember to the infirmary. Even if they did not perform an action this turn, they are still counted as crew.

Furthermore, you can assign a crew to an away mission and in that same turn, decide to gather it for a roll next turn (maybe because a threat changed up your plans).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Greer
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So in other words, the only dice that AREN'T eligible to be collected at the end are those locked up top in scanning and those in the infirmary, but only those specifically in the "returned" box are "safe." Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
designer78 wrote:
So in other words, the only dice that AREN'T eligible to be collected at the end are those locked up top in scanning and those in the infirmary, but only those specifically in the "returned" box are "safe." Right?

There is also an internal threat card called Distracted which will prevent a unit from being gathered.

What you should be doing is performing the action as soon as the crew member is assigned. That way, the board acts as a bit of indicator of what can be gathered. The returned box is there for situations where the crew was assigned but have nowhere to sit. For example, resolving an away mission- you would discard that mission and move the dice used to the returned slot.

There is a tendency for some people play like this: where they roll the dice, then assign all of them, then perform the actions. This is not recommended because of resolution problems and it forces you use the returned box as the indicator for ready dice.

Gameplay-wise, it's important to resolve the action you took immediately after assigning because it forces you to make tougher decisions and pay for your mistakes. This also allows you to set up combos like assigning tactical to destroy the meteor, having it lower your shields, and then assign your science to recharge them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.