New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Is this the real life?
badge
Is it just fantasy?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone! If you have any questions about the upcoming game, please ask away. I'd be happy to answer them.

You can also find my designer diary for the game below:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25338115

Edit: So close to Kickstarter launching, but I am still here haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Bergenstråle
Sweden
Luleå
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just quickly read through the rules so I might have missed it, but what happens if someone becomes a nightmare that is already taken?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Kelly
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Is this the real life?
badge
Is it just fantasy?
mbmbmbmbmb
as3bes4 wrote:
I just quickly read through the rules so I might have missed it, but what happens if someone becomes a nightmare that is already taken?
The symbols that turn you into a Nightmare are the Shadow symbols (eyes).

If somebody is that colour of Nightmare, and you would put a Shadow onto your card, they instead steal that dream as a point for themselves (growing in power by absorbing their essence). So it is impossible for someone to become a nightmare that is taken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Stanley
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why did you choose to include a player elimination mechanism in the game, and what can one do to mitigate the luck of the dice to avoid elimination? (I think that I know part of the answer from the rule book, but it seems to be based on power you have to re-roll dice and what if you don't have the power?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Kelly
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Is this the real life?
badge
Is it just fantasy?
mbmbmbmbmb
dfstanle wrote:
Why did you choose to include a player elimination mechanism in the game, and what can one do to mitigate the luck of the dice to avoid elimination? (I think that I know part of the answer from the rule book, but it seems to be based on power you have to re-roll dice and what if you don't have the power?)

Yeah great question! I think player elimination is fine in moderation with short games. If I'm going to sit out of a game like Bang or Exploding Kittens, I want the game to be over in 20 minutes or less.

That said, I guess there are two different types I've used. There's the less serious (turning into a Nightmare), which I chose to include because it sets up a really cool "midgame twist" - making it more challenging for that player to win, but giving them a chance.

Then there's the more serious: true elimination. This is rarer than it seems, because the "hunt" symbol only appears on red dice. So if you hate being truly eliminated from games, you can avoid red dice as much as possible. It adds a further threat within the game, which is counteracted by offering big rewards on red dice (2 point symbols).

That sort of answers your second question, but in brief: to mitigate being truly eliminated, you can avoid red dice. Don't draw tons of dice, pick carefully, and you should be okay. If you do draw red dice, you still need to fill all four spaces of your Hunt track to be eaten, so it's quite difficult to do!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Stanley
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Foxtale wrote:
dfstanle wrote:

Yeah great question! I think player elimination is fine in moderation with short games. If I'm going to sit out of a game like Bang or Exploding Kittens, I want the game to be over in 20 minutes or less.

That said, I guess there are two different types I've used. There's the less serious (turning into a Nightmare), which I chose to include because it sets up a really cool "midgame twist" - making it more challenging for that player to win, but giving them a chance.

Then there's the more serious: true elimination. This is rarer than it seems, because the "hunt" symbol only appears on red dice. So if you hate being truly eliminated from games, you can avoid red dice as much as possible. It adds a further threat within the game, which is counteracted by offering big rewards on red dice (2 point symbols).

That sort of answers your second question, but in brief: to mitigate being truly eliminated, you can avoid red dice. Don't draw tons of dice, pick carefully, and you should be okay. If you do draw red dice, you still need to fill all four spaces of your Hunt track to be eaten, so it's quite difficult to do!

Thanks so much for the explanation. I agree that in a shorter game elimination might not be such a problem, and hopefully this game doesn't go too long (I have teenage grandsons with whom I play games and they sometimes have little patience). I was also wondering about the "hunt" symbol and how often it appeared on the dice. Since it only appears on the red dice (probably mentioned in the rules and I missed it), and there are ways to mitigate them, that's good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Kelly
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Is this the real life?
badge
Is it just fantasy?
mbmbmbmbmb
dfstanle wrote:

Thanks so much for the explanation. I agree that in a shorter game elimination might not be such a problem, and hopefully this game doesn't go too long (I have teenage grandsons with whom I play games and they sometimes have little patience). I was also wondering about the "hunt" symbol and how often it appeared on the dice. Since it only appears on the red dice (probably mentioned in the rules and I missed it), and there are ways to mitigate them, that's good.

Not a worry! Thanks for your interest in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niklas Nord
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi.

I have played a few games with the PnP and also done some testing on Tabletopia. I am really looking forward to playing the physical game

A few rules questions:

- When you resolve a "Shadow of envy", just for clarification, is it possible for the opponent to choose a dream resolved as power? (I interpret the rules as this but it could maybe use a clarification)

- When completing step 4 of the turn, "Check for filled rows", is the sequence fixed as per the rules?
1. Hunt row
2. Exhaust row
3. Shadow row

- Also clarification, when becoming a nightmare, is it possible to start the "end game" instantly by recieving the power on the nightmare card, filling up power beyond 15 and the rest of the players take their last turn.

Thanks for an awesome game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Kelly
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Is this the real life?
badge
Is it just fantasy?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Niklas! So happy to hear you are enjoying it. I can't wait for you to get your hands on it too.

Sleipmaersk wrote:
When you resolve a "Shadow of envy", just for clarification, is it possible for the opponent to choose a dream resolved as power? (I interpret the rules as this but it could maybe use a clarification)
Yes, they can choose anything except for a Shadow of Envy (that exception is going to go into the rulebook, because it makes it impossible for a player to become a Nightmare of Envy if their opponent doesn't let them). Envy dreams have more Power symbols on them, because you will probably lose Power if you roll a Shadow.

Sleipmaersk wrote:
When completing step 4 of the turn, "Check for filled rows", is the sequence fixed as per the rules?
1. Hunt row
2. Exhaust row
3. Shadow row
Correct! If you die, you can't become a Nightmare. If you become a Nightmare and you're Exhausted, you have to check for lost Power first.

Sleipmaersk wrote:
Also clarification, when becoming a nightmare, is it possible to start the "end game" instantly by recieving the power on the nightmare card, filling up power beyond 15 and the rest of the players take their last turn.
Yes, at the end of any turn, if a player is on 15 Power, the endgame starts and every other Dreamer gets a final turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niklas Nord
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answer

Played a two player game on Tabletopia just now with my partner and another question came up.

When I spend a (1) or (2) power to reroll dreams, can I choose to just reroll one of two unresolved dreams or am I forced to reroll all unresolved dreams of the color spent?

Lets say I roll a Hunt and a (2) and an eye. I place the (2) in the power but want to keep the eye but reroll the hunt. According to rules I need to resolve the hunt before the eye hence the need to spend the power to reroll before resolving the red eye.

Thanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Kelly
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Is this the real life?
badge
Is it just fantasy?
mbmbmbmbmb
Sleipmaersk wrote:
Thanks for the answer

Played a two player game on Tabletopia just now with my partner and another question came up.

When I spend a (1) or (2) power to reroll dreams, can I choose to just reroll one of two unresolved dreams or am I forced to reroll all unresolved dreams of the color spent?

Lets say I roll a Hunt and a (2) and an eye. I place the (2) in the power but want to keep the eye but reroll the hunt. According to rules I need to resolve the hunt before the eye hence the need to spend the power to reroll before resolving the red eye.

Thanks again
When you spend a (1) or (2) Power, you can reroll as many unresolved dreams of its colour as you'd like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bruch
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just discovered this game (just in time!) and tried the PnP using a pile of d6's that I happen to have. Thanks to pushing it a bit too far and getting a lot of Imprisonment dice and no power to re-roll them, I ended up with 3 Shadows and 1 Exhaust in my Exhaust row. Obviously I need to rest, but what do I do next turn?

No matter if I remove all Exhaust dice (just one) or one Shadow this turn, I will still have three dice in my Exhaust row at the beginning of my next turn. Do I have to rest first, basically missing next turn? Or do I get one roll and most likely have to rest after it?

Cool game, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Kelly
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Is this the real life?
badge
Is it just fantasy?
mbmbmbmbmb
kesch wrote:
Just discovered this game (just in time!) and tried the PnP using a pile of d6's that I happen to have. Thanks to pushing it a bit too far and getting a lot of Imprisonment dice and no power to re-roll them, I ended up with 3 Shadows and 1 Exhaust in my Exhaust row. Obviously I need to rest, but what do I do next turn?

No matter if I remove all Exhaust dice (just one) or one Shadow this turn, I will still have three dice in my Exhaust row at the beginning of my next turn. Do I have to rest first, basically missing next turn? Or do I get one roll and most likely have to rest after it?

Cool game, thanks!
Hey Doug! You are absolutely correct and you have discovered why Imprisonment is my most hated Nightmare.

You can only remove 1 Shadow a turn, or all Exhaust, so you are correct in your assumption. You get one roll (perhaps you will roll a Shadow of Primeval Fear and get to move one of those Shadows to your Hunt row) and then you may be immediately exhausted again! (Or perhaps in that next roll, you will aim to become a Nightmare of Imprisonment and aim to roll another Shadow - in which case you will be Exhausted and then turn into the yellow Nightmare.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elden Le
United States
Las Vegas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
With the renegade partnership, will the deluxe version be sold in stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Kelly
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Is this the real life?
badge
Is it just fantasy?
mbmbmbmbmb
nos1 wrote:
With the renegade partnership, will the deluxe version be sold in stores.
Only if they decide to produce it. They might release a few of the deluxe expansions, but that's not my decision to make!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Leeman
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The KS lists an unlocked stretch goal of 5-8 players, through a PDF. Has that been made available through PnP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Kelly
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Is this the real life?
badge
Is it just fantasy?
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMadjai wrote:
The KS lists an unlocked stretch goal of 5-8 players, through a PDF. Has that been made available through PnP?
Hi Nicholas, not yet! I have been a bit caught up with manufacture dramas and haven't had the chance to do more testing on this. I'm hoping to release it about the same time backers get their copies. Keep checking Updates though on the KS if you're interested - I'll be putting draft rules up there for people to test.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When will this be available in the US?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Kelly
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Is this the real life?
badge
Is it just fantasy?
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
When will this be available in the US?
In about a week it should be on a ship bound for the US, so it's likely to go on sale around mid-April!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Lemiex
msg tools
A timing question. After rerolling spooks when do you moved them to your board, i.e. if I reroll the bottom 2 that are both red and one becomes power, do I only move the last one to my board OR fill the gaps THEN move the 2 to my board?

Do you recheck for filled exhaustion after the spook movement? I had a exhaust die move to my board tat already contained 2.

Does the 2 power die used for 2 rerolls?

Lady of Envy solo power of moving a power reroll die to the spook row sounds like a reward. Am I missing something?

thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Kelly
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Is this the real life?
badge
Is it just fantasy?
mbmbmbmbmb
phillemieux wrote:
A timing question. After rerolling spooks when do you moved them to your board, i.e. if I reroll the bottom 2 that are both red and one becomes power, do I only move the last one to my board OR fill the gaps THEN move the 2 to my board?

You reroll the bottom 2 reds, one becomes Power. You return the Power to the bag, and place the other one back in the gap. After all Spooks have been moved to the bag or back to fill gaps, you shuffle down the rows, and then move the bottom 2 to your board.

Quote:
Do you recheck for filled exhaustion after the spook movement? I had a exhaust die move to my board tat already contained 2.

Nope! You only check for exhaustion after you have rolled dreams on your next turn.

Quote:
Does the 2 power die used for 2 rerolls?

Only one reroll. It just hurts more inside.

Quote:
Lady of Envy solo power of moving a power reroll die to the spook row sounds like a reward. Am I missing something?
Each of the Bogeymen solo modes has a different reward built in, based on their colour. (Envy as you say; Primeval lets you kill Spooks; Depths gives you more choice of which colours you collect; Imprisonment halves the number of "Shadow" spooks you have to deal with.) They also each have a different negative built in if you want to play the hard mode.

Quote:
thanks in advance!
Thank you for playing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Lemiex
msg tools
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Marshall
msg tools
Hey Shannon! My wife and I have been loving the game : ). Also, all our friends have really enjoyed it as well.

Question: Does the Nightmare of Envy ability only give a 1 or 2 power steal possibility when you choose the option of having the player pick two dreams to roll? Can you not take the power when you pick the option to choose the one dream for the player to reroll?

The reason I ask is because that part about taking power is in brackets and looks like it belongs to that clause only, but it's a little ambiguous.

Hope that made sense!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Kelly
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Is this the real life?
badge
Is it just fantasy?
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattchew222 wrote:
Hey Shannon! My wife and I have been loving the game : ). Also, all our friends have really enjoyed it as well.
Oh I'm so glad to hear that! Thank you for letting me know.

Quote:
Question: Does the Nightmare of Envy ability only give a 1 or 2 power steal possibility when you choose the option of having the player pick two dreams to roll? Can you not take the power when you pick the option to choose the one dream for the player to reroll?

I went through a couple revisions of the Nightmare of Envy wording haha. You are correct that you only get to steal their rerolled Power if you have allowed them to pick the rerolled dreams. If you pick the dream for them to reroll, they keep any Power.

My favourite use of this Nightmare ability is when they have run out of Shadows, Exhaust and Hunt. Not only do you force them to pick two Power dreams to reroll, but you keep all the good stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Marshall
msg tools
Ah, thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it!

I've had several people comment that they saw a lot of thought going into the design. Personally, I admire that not only did you make great gameplay mechanics, but you made each of them deeply thematic. That's a really hard balance to strike, and many games will favor one at the expense of the other.

Not that I'd expect any less from a fellow Galadorian .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.