Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ismael Descolado
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm having a lot of trouble learning the NPCs movement.

See the picture above. My Historical Driver is starting his turn in 80 mph after the FIRST CORNER.

My "phase" no match with any symbol in the track (line 2-7 with a brown disc).
In the track I have "80+D". My Desaceleration is 60. What the speed I would set? 80 - 60 = 20 mph?

My NPC is ALONSO and the Strategy Sheet is MATTY.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Coleman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's 140; i.e. 80 + Deceleration rating. My guess is the AI is trying to maximize speed and yet prepare to decelerate for an upcoming turn. Of course, If Alonso's Accelerate Rating is 40, you could only increase to 120.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dietz

Illinois
msg tools
hgcoleman wrote:
I think it's 140; i.e. 80 + Deceleration rating. My guess is the AI is trying to maximize speed and yet prepare to decelerate for an upcoming turn. Of course, If Alonso's Accelerate Rating is 40, you could only increase to 120.

This is correct--both in application of the rule and the logic of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ismael Descolado
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hummm... thanks guys. I don't found nothing in rulebook talking about replace "D" (desacceleration) by "A" (acceleration) in this formulas printed in boardgame.

I have a question about this picture above (purple wheel):

If in the last Lap: C is 1 and 2c is 2, right?
Whats mean LAST + 1 C and LAST + 2 C in the second line?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Schulz
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Last +1 would mean 2nd to last lap, Last +2 would mean 3rd to last lap. So in a 3 lap race, lap 1 would be Last +2.

If you are doing more than 3 laps, you can figure out the pattern. So, last +3 would be "c: 19; 2c: 38"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ismael Descolado
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lucidphoenix wrote:
Last +1 would mean 2nd to last lap, Last +2 would mean 3rd to last lap. So in a 3 lap race, lap 1 would be Last +2.

If you are doing more than 3 laps, you can figure out the pattern. So, last +3 would be "c: 19; 2c: 38"

Ok, thanks for your help, Doug. I'm trying understand your Historical Drivers system but the language is hindering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ismael Descolado
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NPC car finished his turn in 140 mph. In the next turn, how should I proceed in this case? There are no symbols in space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Schulz
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that on a lot of straights, one set of symbols will cover a number of adjacent rows.

You may note that the symbols along the track are separated from each other by white dotted lines. In this case the first 5 rows after the start/finish line are all guided by that one set of symbols adjacent to the row in front of the yellow car... with the last 3 rows in that set including different top speed limiters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ismael Descolado
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lucidphoenix wrote:
Note that on a lot of straights, one set of symbols will cover a number of adjacent rows.

You may note that the symbols along the track are separated from each other by white dotted lines. In this case the first 5 rows after the start/finish line are all guided by that one set of symbols adjacent to the row in front of the yellow car... with the last 3 rows in that set including different top speed limiters.

Hmmmm... Thank you, Doug. But, if the second line match with my tactical phase (wear star 80 + D <= 160), need I spend a wear to accelerate my car from 140 to 160 mph? No make sense or I missed something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john rees
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hants
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm gradually working my way through the historical driver rules, but still have a few questions

1 On some corners there is the notation MPS, I haven't found a rules reference for this but I guess its Maximum Possible Speed, relating to the printed speed in the corner space. In other cases there are speed increments eg +40 does this apply to the car speed or the printed speed in the corner space

2 In the die roll chart some options are separated by "|" do you cycle through these Left to right but stop when you get a relevant result

3 I find the how much wear charts of the final phase rather confusing, they follow a different pattern to the other phases with repeating symbols. E.g. A clear circle then skill circle then die roll. If you get a match with the board it will be with the first symbol(the "enhanced" wear symbols are not on the board) so the others appear redundant.
Do you move to the next option if you cant pay the price of the leftmost.

Any views gratefully received
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Polcen
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
I play Speed Circuit / Championship Formula Racing at Redscape.
badge
www.redscape.com... proud sponsor of neighborly warfare since 1998
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll tackle the first one:

Quote:
1 On some corners there is the notation MPS, I haven't found a rules reference for this but I guess its Maximum Possible Speed, relating to the printed speed in the corner space. In other cases there are speed increments eg +40 does this apply to the car speed or the printed speed in the corner space

MPS stands for 'Maintain Present Speed'. The +40 (or +20) occurs when the corner speed limit increases mid-corner. You'll find a few of these on the tracks. Apply it to the car's speed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john rees
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hants
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice one, thanks, so obvious when someone tells you !

SLOTerp wrote:
I'll tackle the first one:

Quote:

MPS stands for 'Maintain Present Speed'. The +40 (or +20) occurs when the corner speed limit increases mid-corner. You'll find a few of these on the tracks. Apply it to the car's speed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ismael Descolado
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules states:
"The first line of the die roll instructions indicate if a car will test or
spend skill to exceed its acceleration or top speed. In the example
to the right, the car will spend 1 green skill to automatically increase either acceleration or top speed, but not both on the same turn"

AUTOMATICALLY means that NPC will not roll dice to increase his speed? He spend skill tokens only?

If yes, in the Historical Driver Strategy Sheet there are a column called START SPEED. I assume that he don't roll dice to increase START SPEED (spending two skill tokens).

I don't found any reference about the START SPEED column in Historical Drivers Strategy Sheet in the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Schulz
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea that the wear star indicates that your car wants to spend a wear is about the upcoming corner. Historical drivers can't spend wear to accelerate, just like regular drivers.

So if you have a symbol match for that symbol that your target speed is what ever that car's deceleration is plus 80. You accelerate that car trying to get to that target speed using its acceleration -- testing for +20 to its acceleration if the die roll preferences call for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Schulz
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, if a historical driver has green skill to spend, they can spend that to automatically increase acceleration or top speed without rolling a die. Also, they can spend 2 green skill (when directed to) to automatically increase their start speed by 20 mph without rolling.

I did a lot of this partially to cut down on the number of die rolls for historical drivers and partially to provide another lever for tweaking driver difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Schulz
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
reesy wrote:

2 In the die roll chart some options are separated by "|" do you cycle through these Left to right but stop when you get a relevant result

Yes. Exactly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Schulz
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
reesy wrote:

3 I find the how much wear charts of the final phase rather confusing, they follow a different pattern to the other phases with repeating symbols. E.g. A clear circle then skill circle then die roll. If you get a match with the board it will be with the first symbol(the "enhanced" wear symbols are not on the board) so the others appear redundant.

True, you will never see a red circle or die roll symbol next to the track. That's a good clarification I should have covered in the rules.

When matching to the track symbols... read a red or die-roll symbol as a clear circle.

However, the difference is that it indicates the driver's willingness to use their red skill to pay for the corner as if it were a wear chip or to roll a chance instead of paying wear respectively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john rees
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hants
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Doug That's very helpful thank you. Can I bother you with one more clarification.
If I fail to attach the image whistleI'm referring to the final phase 8-10 row of Front B ( it appears to be at the bottom of the post! )

In the second conditional box would the following be correct:-
I find a match with one skill circle but have no wear so I move right to spend a red skill I don't have one so end up with rolling for a chance, in other words like the die roll charts but without the "|" notation

Really enjoying the game by the way

lucidphoenix wrote:
reesy wrote:

True, you will never see a red circle or die roll symbol next to the track. That's a good clarification I should have covered in the rules.

When matching to the track symbols... read a red or die-roll symbol as a clear circle.

However, the difference is that it indicates the driver's willingness to use their red skill to pay for the corner as if it were a wear chip or to roll a chance instead of paying wear respectively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ismael Descolado
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want know if I'm doing something wrong.

In the picture above, RED CAR plans spend TWO WEAR POINTS to move 160 mph. If he move 8 spaces, will finish in the middle of second corner. In this case, the second corner will require more wear points because the speed limit is 100 mph.
Then, the NPC need late brake before second corner (spending 1 wear point). This way, he will spend his TWO WEAR POINTS printed in his strategy sheet.
This is correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john rees
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hants
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
descolado1 wrote:
I want know if I'm doing something wrong.

In the picture above, RED CAR plans spend TWO WEAR POINTS to move 160 mph. If he move 8 spaces, will finish in the middle of second corner. In this case, the second corner will require more wear points because the speed limit is 100 mph.
Then, the NPC need late brake before second corner (spending 1 wear point). This way, he will spend his TWO WEAR POINTS printed in his strategy sheet.
This is correct?

Thats what I would do, it seems to fit the spirit of the AI
The rules, I think, say that they do not cover every eventuality and to go with what feels correct, I think 60 over the limit in the second corner is too much risk, even to snatch the lead

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Schulz
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In order to avoid having too many symbols on the side of the track I did not allow myself to include 3 and 4 wear symbols that might be appropriate in places like this where you can run two corners in the same turn.

So... Mr. Rees noticed, I indicate that you have to use your own judgment in some places. I think you could decide to make the move you outlined or you could spend 2 wear in each corner... I think either would make sense in different situations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Schulz
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
reesy wrote:
I find a match with one skill circle but have no wear so I move right to spend a red skill I don't have one so end up with rolling for a chance, in other words like the die roll charts but without the "|" notation

Correct. (And thanks.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ismael Descolado
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I think you could decide to make the move you outlined or you could spend 2 wear in each corner...

Ops... Can the Historical Drivers spend more than 3 wear points in a single activate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Among the phases is "if 3/3 of the race". Sometimes its 3/3 or wear compared to some value, but sometimes its just flat 3/3 of the race.

So when does that ever come into play? Wouldn't 3/3 be the end of the race?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ismael Descolado
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
descolado1 wrote:
Quote:
I think you could decide to make the move you outlined or you could spend 2 wear in each corner...

Ops... Can the Historical Drivers spend more than 3 wear points in a single activate?

Hmmmm, looking better the boardgame, we can find symbols with 3 wear points in some sectors. Then, YES, the historical drivers can spend more than 2 wear points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.