James
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Played my first game, and the first tactical combat game that uses cards and is more abstract than the traditional counter and hex games.

Concentrating more on theme and management with some imagination it was a fun experience.

Played the basic scenario with Just Another Day, Warehouse, and Bunker Clearing objective. Nothing new here just thought I post to see if the flow of the game seemed right.

First round of Germans we faced Ambushes, a Flamethrower, MG team with an event. MG event got sandbags to only increase their cover. So we had ambush'ers in our location and a FT screening the MG dug in behind sandbags.

We are able to use the "Cover Me" card and Smith popped up and unloaded his SMG on the Germans with three bursts (3 actions 2 of his plus bonus from cover me) hitting the first one and the two others jumped immediately to take cover behind a down tree.

Taylor next fired off a shot with his M1 and miraculously dropped the FT (6+10, earning XPs). McDougal lobs a grenade near the log with the two Germans behind it and takes out one, leaving only one left. He uses his next action to pull more Action cards (lost 3 to Cover Me plus cost two to play that card). Walsh fires on the last German close by behind the log and kills him (earning XPs)He turns his fire on the MG and suppresses one of them.

The Germans fail to get any support (Reinforcement is an Officer card too high for the Warehouse location.) The single crewman fires at Walsh but misses His buddy dusted himself off and rejoins him. (end of turn 1)

Smith is a man possessed and charges at the warehouse and the German MG (trading in XPs he uses Advance and prepared fire that will automatically defeat the German cover of 5) Smith sprays bullets at point blank range at the MG crew and after all that misses.

Walsh followed behind Smith and enters the ware house and fires at the MG and misses but scares one of them enough to duck behind the sandbag. Taylor fires again at range and hits the other German manning the gun.

McDougal thinks over what to do next (uses an action to draw more cards)
and decides to make a dash to the warehouse (plays advance) and smashes through a door (kick in the door) to join Smith and Walsh. He yells to Smith to give it to the MG again (plays Snapshot up gunned with XPs) Smith fires but misses again.

The lone MG'er is alive but is face down and can not fire. However, 4 more of his comrades join him (1 Grenadier and 3 Riflemen) One German tosses a grenade near McDougal but he some how takes cover (take cover) and avoids the blast. The riflemen have Smith in their sights but he dives behind some ruble (2nd Take cover card and XPs) and he is safe. Smith checks himself for bullet holes but relived to not find any. End of Turn Two

McDougal decides to fling another grenade at the riflemen taking out all three of them

Walsh fires his M1 at the lone German who is back manning his gun. The ping of Walsh's clip sounds as he empties everything but takes the German MG out for good.

Smith takes out the grenadier, and with his next action activates the bunker and moves towards it. Near the bunker is another German MG team. Also some Germans have rallied back where Taylor is behind the old ware house. (pulled Stragglers and they start at first card where Taylor has remained)

I did not keep notes after this point. We ended up taking out the bunker and the MG team in the final location. McDougal with his sniper rifle kept the Stragglers busy who had Taylor pinned down; while Walsh and Smith finish the job at the bunker. The dice and cards were on our side and we finished the mission in 4 turns. Good thing we didn't have to fight our war back

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ball
United Kingdom
Nr Grantham
Lincs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It is the story telling that really makes this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David in Sydney (now in Coffs)
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Raid mission requires you to get back to the mission location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PandaBall wrote:

Yes! The narrative created is great. It's like you're playing a WWII movie. I really like this game. It's just fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CM Randall wrote:
PandaBall wrote:

Yes! The narrative created is great. It's like you're playing a WWII movie. I really like this game. It's just fun.

Very easy to play The Dirty Dozen.. arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I agree it kind of puts you into the middle or war movie maybe more so than a historical encounter. Which is not a bad thing. From a gaming point of view a lot of choices to make
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I bet that must be tough, it is hard enough to make it to the objective let alone make it back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jam920 wrote:
I bet that must be tough, it is hard enough to make it to the objective let alone make it back.

It is a challenge...

Last week - we went tank busting (Germ Soldiers vs US Frontline) - had Simon with his MG42 deployed in a farm house (in loc 3) and activated the objective with the PzSrech operator with 2 Aimed Fire, 1 Combined Fire, 1 Prepared fire and 1 camoflage Iignore screening) cards to pay - so the M4 brewed up (+7 to hit, DC = 6) and we were well ahead of the horde of US soldiers that were placed in the Objective. It was then a matter of running for friendly lines - only two of the locations reinforced and they were easily dealt with - did it with 5 turns to spare. arrrh
If we couldn't have hit the M4 from range 1 ignoring the screening hostiles - we would have had a harder time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
That does make for nice twist, having to high tail it out in the the other direction. Once I get a few more missions under my belt I my attempt something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.