Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Very first 2 player..Early game question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Walt B
msg tools
mbmbmb
So I have played Mage Knight solo about a half-dozen times and have a pretty decent grasp of the rules.

I am attempting to introduce my wife to Mage Knight and have encountered a point of discussion.

My wife leveled up and of course was able to pick from the advanced action deck.
I had used my last card and it would be end of round when she was finished.

I told her that normally if there were more turns that that advanced card would go on the top of her deck to be immediately used period however since it was the end of round I was insisting that all cards would go into her deck and reshuffled. She was adamant that that was incorrect that she didn't get to use the card. So she wanted to hold the card into the next day and put it into her hand.

A quick word of help and advice would be greatly appreciated!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right. If the round ends, decks get reshuffled.

Your wife will get to use her card, when she draws it next round. She absolutely cannot hold onto a card into the next day (unless she uses that one night tactic that lets her search her deck for a particular card).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt B
msg tools
mbmbmb
nobody82b wrote:
You are right. If the round ends, decks get reshuffled.

Your wife will get to use her card, when she draws it next round. She absolutely cannot hold onto a card into the next day (unless she uses that one night tactic that lets her search her deck for a particular card).


Thanks..pretty much thought I had the answer, but sometimes it's better to hear from someone else.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just make sure you got the end of round calling correct.

Cards in hand are irrelevant. If you have no cards in your deck you may call end of round, forfeit your entire turn, and the other player gets one more turn.

So the correct procedure for the situation you described would be:

You started your turn with no cards in your deck, called end of round and forfeited your turn.
Your wife played her final turn, levelled up, but was then unable to use her skill or advanced action from the level up.

An incorrect procedure would be:

You "played your last card".
Your wife played her turn and levelled up.
You claim the round is over <- this is incorrect. You have to declare end of round and forfeit a turn, giving your wife *another* turn.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt B
msg tools
mbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
Just make sure you got the end of round calling correct.

Cards in hand are irrelevant. If you have no cards in your deck you may call end of round, forfeit your entire turn, and the other player gets one more turn.

So the correct procedure for the situation you described would be:

You started your turn with no cards in your deck, called end of round and forfeited your turn.
Your wife played her final turn, levelled up, but was then unable to use her skill or advanced action from the level up.

An incorrect procedure would be:

You "played your last card".
Your wife played her turn and levelled up.
You claim the round is over <- this is incorrect. You have to declare end of round and forfeit a turn, giving your wife *another* turn.


Fascinating..So if I may reword it to verify if I misplayed my turn?

Beginning of turn, I had initiative so went first, emptying my deck so I said "this is end of round this turn."
I had 5 cards and decided to collect a few Mana crystals and not much more.
My wife went also leveling up where she collected her advanced action card

The rest has been discussed above..

Did I make a mistake as well ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Original Thumb #50
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Floridawalt wrote:
Benkyo wrote:
Just make sure you got the end of round calling correct.

Cards in hand are irrelevant. If you have no cards in your deck you may call end of round, forfeit your entire turn, and the other player gets one more turn.

So the correct procedure for the situation you described would be:

You started your turn with no cards in your deck, called end of round and forfeited your turn.
Your wife played her final turn, levelled up, but was then unable to use her skill or advanced action from the level up.

An incorrect procedure would be:

You "played your last card".
Your wife played her turn and levelled up.
You claim the round is over <- this is incorrect. You have to declare end of round and forfeit a turn, giving your wife *another* turn.


Fascinating..So if I may reword it to verify if I misplayed my turn?

Beginning of turn, I had initiative so went first, emptying my deck so I said "this is end of round this turn."
I had 5 cards and decided to collect a few Mana crystals and not much more.
My wife went also leveling up where she collected her advanced action card

The rest has been discussed above..

Did I make a mistake as well ?


Did you start your turn with an empty deck?
If yes, did you then declare "end of round"?
Did you then forfeit your turn?

If the answer to all 3 is yes, then it was played correctly.


Based on how you described it, it sounds like you started your turn with cards in your deck and emptied it during your turn. Also, if you collected mana crystals and such, you did not forfeit your turn. Therefore, the earliest you could declare end of round is your next turn and your wife would get two more turns.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt B
msg tools
mbmbmb
ohgrande wrote:
Floridawalt wrote:
Benkyo wrote:
Just make sure you got the end of round calling correct.

Cards in hand are irrelevant. If you have no cards in your deck you may call end of round, forfeit your entire turn, and the other player gets one more turn.

So the correct procedure for the situation you described would be:

You started your turn with no cards in your deck, called end of round and forfeited your turn.
Your wife played her final turn, levelled up, but was then unable to use her skill or advanced action from the level up.

An incorrect procedure would be:

You "played your last card".
Your wife played her turn and levelled up.
You claim the round is over <- this is incorrect. You have to declare end of round and forfeit a turn, giving your wife *another* turn.


Fascinating..So if I may reword it to verify if I misplayed my turn?

Beginning of turn, I had initiative so went first, emptying my deck so I said "this is end of round this turn."
I had 5 cards and decided to collect a few Mana crystals and not much more.
My wife went also leveling up where she collected her advanced action card

The rest has been discussed above..

Did I make a mistake as well ?


Did you start your turn with an empty deck?
If yes, did you then declare "end of round"?
Did you then forfeit your turn?

If the answer to all 3 is yes, then it was played correctly.


Based on how you described it, it sounds like you started your turn with cards in your deck and emptied it during your turn. Also, if you collected mana crystals and such, you did not forfeit your turn. Therefore, the earliest you could declare end of round is your next turn and your wife would get two more turns.


Wow.. Thanks for the clarification!

Yes I had a few remaining cards that I drew to make a had that I also played.
I wasn't aware of forfeiting my turn at all !
Still not 100% clear but I'll be certain I figure it out before resuming play later on today !
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a common error that players think you declare end of round at the end of the turn. Instead, end of round is declared at the beginning of a turn where there are no cards in the player's draw deck (aka deed deck). And if there are no cards in hand and no cards in the draw deck, then the player must declare end of round.

Declaring end of round forfeits the entire turn, so no site rewards, such as crystals from mines.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeus Cat

Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just remember the saying my old boss had: a happy wife makes for a happy life.

Or the corollary; when arguing with a woman, if you are a man, you are wrong.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt B
msg tools
mbmbmb
Took me a bit, but I finally got it thru my thick skull..Lol

On the latter part..Yes and that's why I tend to have someone else answer questions that cause sticking points..lol
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.