Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Stone
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing Dracula, and the Hunters started using "Rest" at night, even though they weren't injured. Rather then using Supply at night to avoid pulling encounter cards from the bottom of the deck. Which was pretty annoying for me, let me tell ya.

I couldn't find anything saying they couldn't do that, but I couldn't find anything saying they could either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MStone wrote:
I was playing Dracula, and the Hunters started using "Rest" at night, even though they weren't injured. Rather then using Supply at night to avoid pulling encounter cards from the bottom of the deck. Which was pretty annoying for me, let me tell ya.

I couldn't find anything saying they couldn't do that, but I couldn't find anything saying they could either.

If all they want to do is avoid supplying, there are other actions they can take. If they don't want to do one of those other options, the rules are clear that they are allowed to pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Kosek
United States
Plymouth
MN - Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hunters can "pass". Which would have basically the same effect as Resting when they haven't taken any damage.

Rules Reference, page 3 under Actions, last bullet point.
A hunter can forfeit his action by passing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stone
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, that answers that, Thanx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MStone wrote:
Yep, that answers that, Thanx

For new players trying the game after watching the TableTop session(s), it is worth noting that it is more common for hunters to avoid Supply actions at night than the hunter tactics in that game would indicate.

The TableTop game is illustration enough of why it is to be used sparingly: a few bad pulls can give Dracula an edge, which then requires hunters to make more night supplies in desperation. That being said, the event deck is 2/3 hunter cards and 1/3 dracula cards, so drawing 3 dracula cards in a row is particularly bad luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stone
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I was asking specifically because I had a group of Hunters who were using a "starvation" strategy. I only got one card the whole game, which was very frustrating and it didn't seem fair. Since then I've played again, and got some more cards and used them to great effect. After that, I've done a lot more reading on the forums here, and a lot more of the strategy and tactics of being Dracula have sunken in.

So now I realize that the Tabletop episode was one extreme end of the spectrum, and my first game was the other end of the spectrum. My second game was probably more representative of an average.

But that does bring up another really good question, are there any good general strategies to use against a Hunters starvation strategy? I know about Hoax, and I realize that generally it means that Hunters are giving up movement and / or items and events to pull it off, but is that enough to offset the disadvantages to Dracula? Do you just start relying on power and encounter cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.