Popular Tags: [View All]
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
After writing an email to someone in which I mentioned the Lewis & Clark Trail, it occurred to me that likely many other folks here in Chit Chat live in locales of historic note.

The below pic is just a couple of miles up the road from our little town, which is today situated on the Osage River just west of the confluence with the Missouri, but in Lewis & Clark's day was on the Missouri. The confluence moved east since then.

So what do you have close by?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
A few miles away is Huffman Prairie flying field, where Wilbur and Orville Wright perfected the first practical airplane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Related to the Wright Bros., many, many WWII warplanes were created and built in Los Angeles, San Diego, and/or tested in what is now Edwards Air Force Base, including the P-51 Mustang:

The oldest settlement close that I'm aware of, still standing, is Mission San Juan Capistrano, founded October 30, 1775:

Not counting, of course, Native Americans, some of whom were visited by Polynesians.

Nearby is Dana Point, where Richard Henry Dana Jr. came; he later wrote Two Years Before the Mast, 1834-6, about his experiences in the coast-to-coast trade (via Cape Horn, S. of South America) before the Transcontinental Railroad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
When I lived in DC I cycled/camped along the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal. It's about 180 miles long and goes through some beautiful scenery, especially around the Great Falls area of the Potomac. One of the really cool features about the canal are the 75 locks, which were used to raise and lower the boats for the next section of the canal. On the DC end where the canal runs into the Potomac is Lock 0, or as it was sometimes known, the "water gate." Here's a picture (ignore the hotel in the background):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

My area is absolutely dripping with history, but the most history at the shortest distance would be the battleground memorial park where the Battle of Guilford Courthouse was fought in the Revolutionary War.

It's across town from me now (though Greensboro is a rather small city, to be honest), but for several years I lived almost adjacent to the park, more or less in what was the British camp or staging area before the battle.

The British narrowly won the battle that day, but it was a pyrrhic victory to be sure, as Lord Cornwallis lost 1/4 of his army, was forced to abandon his Southern Campaign and withdraw to the coast and then out of the Carolinas entirely, and surrendered in Yorktown (where I lived when I was a teenager) only seven months later.

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where I grew up in Glenrock, Wyoming you could throw a rock from our front porch and hit the wagon ruts from the Oregon Trail. Glenrock was also one of the Pony Express stops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
A few miles away is Huffman Prairie flying field, where Wilbur and Orville Wright perfected the first practical airplane.

Are you a Wright Brothers fan? My favorite place to vacation is just a few miles from Kitty Hawk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
lgoldberg wrote:

So what do you have close by?

Right up the road from where I live used to be the house they filmed the Texas Chainsaw massacre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On Cornwallis.

After the war he oversaw the putting down of 1798 rebellion in Ireland. One of my ancestors was arrested as a suspected rebel and sent out to Australia with a bunch of others. After doing his time he settled in a locality northwest of the Sydney. The name? Cornwallis. I have wondered how he felt about that.

It's not near me, really, (about an hour drive maybe) but there's a creek a stones throw away from me - any run off from my yard would go into it - which flows into a river which snakes down and flows into another river, which then wends past "Cornwallis".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

I live very near the spot where Lewis & Clark encountered the Cathlapotles, AND it's also the birth place of U-Haul.

Of some historical (foot) note, but really not much to see...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Keep your lovin' brother happy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Vincent van Gogh has learnt to draw here and in May 1940 a main German advance column came through.

On the back of the fotographer is the bridge over the Wilhelmina Canal, which has been blown up. Towers of the Koningshoeven monastry can be seen, where Trappist Beer is brewn.

Addition:
This place is 2 kilometers from my appartment. I regularly pass by on bike and the place more or less looks the same. The trees on the right have grown up. The sett road has been replaced by asphalt concrete. By the shadow of the poles I can see it is about 3:00 PM.

This photo has been found in German war archives some 5 years ago. It is special because it is in ... color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Used to live in just outside Canterbury in the same village as a pub mentioned in The Canterbury tales.

as to where I live now no more then anywhere else.

A few miles form where a Zeppelin was shot down (and come to that WW2 bombers) an RAF station (And an RFC station the great war). I also live a few miles from an ancient battlefield (in this case Ashingdon).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Sexby
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Right up the road from where I live used to be the house they filmed the Texas Chainsaw massacre.

Sweet! I'm about two miles due north from the old docklands and Silverton, which Kubrick transformed into Hue City when filming Full Metal Jacket.

Living in London, I'm surrounded by history, but a few bits relating to my Ends (as a young person might say) - N.17, Tottenham - include:

The roads. The High Street, the A 10, is an old Roman road, going up to Cambridge. It was the junction to another Roman road going out towards Colchester and Essex. As such, Boudica led her Iceni Insurgents through here, on the way to pillage and burn the Roman city. Centuries later, Fairfax led the New Model Army in the other direction, on their way to put down the Royalist risings, in Essex, during the Second Civil War.

I live near to Bruce Grove park, named after the castle and manor house belonging to the Bruce family, as in the Scottish king, Robert The Bruce.

Finally, down the end of our old street, about a mile south towards Tottenham Hale and near the present day Redemption brewery, was the site of one of the "Tottenham Outrages", where, a few years before the outbreak of W.W.I, a Russian Anarchist shot and killed a couple of cops, thus sparking a nationwide moral panic and some pretty harsh repression, aimed at the local Jewish and Irish communities. The whole thing culminated in the Siege Of Sydney Street, where the Met cornered some of the culprits and the then Home Secretary, Winston Churchill, was famously pictured loading a shotgun in preparation for an assault on the house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's funny the connections you can make.

My grandfathers brother was killed in may 1940, I'm not sure exactly where but he was from not too far away from where that photograph was taken.

And I lived a few miles up the A10 from Edward for a short time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Charlottesville, VA. - Jefferson's Monticello is just south of town, his next door neighbor was James Monroe (although not as close as you would think, these were big plantations) and in the next county is James Madison's Montpelier plantation home. If you travel about twenty min. there's the the Wilderness Battlefield, and the Shenandoah Valley (Jackson's Valley Campaign - 1862) is just over the mountain.

It's Virginia, you can't throw a rock without hitting a Civil War Battleground. There's even a small display in a shopping center celebrating a small cavalry raid called the "Battle of Rio Hill" which happened where the shopping center is now. I like to picture the Yankees storming the Kroger!

edit: Was I thinking of the grocery store when I mistyped "Yamkees"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in Britain, England to be more precise. History is everywhere. The city I live in goes back to Roman times, but I don't know anything significant left from then. For that you need to go a few miles down the road to a first century Roman town, some walls still surviving, and a Norman castle built on he foundations (which you can tour) of a temple to Claudius. But back where I do live, we of course have churches (plural) that predate Columbus, but then everyone's got those. Our unique claim to fame is signposted on the way in to town as "The Birthplace of Radio" where Marconi set up in the nineteenth century.

Of course I can already hear the Italians pointing out that's nothing. And the Egyptians gently coughing about the Italians thinking their stuff is old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
tall_walt wrote:
The oldest settlement close that I'm aware of, still standing, is Mission San Juan Capistrano, founded October 30, 1775:

Dearlove wrote:
Of course I can already hear the Italians pointing out that's nothing. And the Egyptians gently coughing about the Italians thinking their stuff is old.

When I was a kid, I went on a school field trip to Mission SJC, and was gushing to my Mom afterwards about how old it was. She was from Poland, and said something to the effect of "we have public restrooms older than that back home."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some ten years ago I worked on the right-end of "that big square building", mentioned after 3:20 and one of the main targets of Operation Oyster. Today they are industrial monuments. They are beautiful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This photo is taken 1 kilometer from my appartment. Early september 1944 the British army was advancing north through Belgium. A company or batallion - elements of Schwerer Jagdpanzer Abteilung 559 - of Jagdpanthers and Sturmgeschütze were transported to the railway placement of Tilburg, about 500 meters north from where the picture was illegally taken.

The railway staff was gone and people watching were forced to help unloading. Here an impressive Jagdpanther crosses the road towards Belgium, where they were pretty successful. However one by one they were taken out during the liberation of the province of North-Brabant, which goes together with operation Market-Garden.

The crossing looks today more or less the same. I often passes by on bike. The crossing now has traffic lights. The water tower and the graveyard with the statues of many saints are still there.

Sorry, I couldn't find a bigger picture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Btw, readers in this thread may well be interested in this fun geeklist:

I Can See My House From Here!!!

The list is about finding the actual place you live (or very close to it) on game boards, so most of the games in the list are wargames and historical games of one variety or another.

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes indeedy, history is near my house. This is the Old North Bridge, 15 minutes drive from me, where the first shot of the revolutionary war was fired:

Some claim that the first shot was in Lexington, at a place about a mile from my house, but that's baloney. Nobody knows who fired the shot in Lexington, not even whether it was the British or the revolutionaries, it didn't hit anybody, most likely somebody had a jittery finger and accidentally set off their gun. The first intentional shot, aimed at the enemy, was at the bridge above, a few hours after the Lexington incident.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambiteer wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

Are you a Wright Brothers fan? My favorite place to vacation is just a few miles from Kitty Hawk.

I am. But I've never been to Kitty Hawk (though I wouldn't mind going there). They just needed a flat and reliably windy place and thanks to the kind advice of a US government weather expert, that was the pick!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Macewan
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My town (Malton) is built upon the site of the Roman fort of Derventio Brigantum, about 20 miles NE of Eboracum (York).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Morehouse
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I recently moved back to the States from St Andrews, Scotland. You could tell nearly the entire history of Scotland in terms of St Andrews (as a parade does each year) but here is a little piece of board game lore:

The building pictured is Dean's Court. It was built in the 12th century and serves as a university residence. In the early 1980's it became the birthplace of Talisman: The Magical Quest Game, which of course has gone on to be a little industry of itself. You can read the whole story here: http://www.harris-authors.com/talisman_history.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I live in Madison County, Virginia, about 6 miles North, and slightly to the West, of James Madison's Montpelier. This being Virginia, there are doubtless many closer sites where something pivotal in history took place but I don't know about it. The neighbors down the road sometimes leave their billy goat on a chain near the road so that I can pet him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.