Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Enhancing multiple actions on the same card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Parsons
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm looking for clarification to the gold cost of adding enhancement stickers to both the top and bottom actions on the same card.

The rules state the cost to enhance is increased if the ACTION has been enhanced before, but the example indicates the cost is increased if the CARD has been enhanced before.

If I have a "+1" to an attack on the top half of the card, is the cost increased if I want to add "jump" to the movement on the bottom half of the card?

Thank you in advance.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dante
United States
Katy
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Yes
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Hsu
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the cost should be increased on the same card but not same action.

The example on page 47 is an additional attack hex, which is part of the same attack action.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
baconmaster wrote:
I don't think the cost should be increased on the same card but not same action.

The example on page 47 is an additional attack hex, which is part of the same attack action.

The page 47 example text does say "75 gold is added because the card was previously enhanced once."

However, the page 46 bolded rules text says, "...the number of previously placed enhancement stickers on the same action." So I'm guessing the example wording should be "action" as well.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Trout
msg tools
This would be because it having more enhancements on a card make it more valuable, and you will bring it to more scenarios because it is more versatile and generally better. If the top and bottom action is enhanced, then a decent card can become ridiculous.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
The enhancement cost increases per sticker on the action (=complete upper or lower part) of the card. If the lower part has 3 stickers and the upper part has none yet, you don't pay anything extra to improve the upper part. That is why the table only shows the additional cost for 1,2 and 3 previous stickers, because there is no card that has more than 4 free enhancement places on it's upper or lower part. If you would sum it up for the complete card, the table would have to show the cases for 4,5,... previous stickers too. But the rule clearly speaks of 'action' and not of 'card', so I think the example is missworded.
10 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
danom wrote:
The enhancement cost increases per sticker on the action (=complete upper or lower part) of the card. If the lower part has 3 stickers and the upper part has none yet, you don't pay anything extra to improve the upper part. That is why the table only shows the additional cost for 1,2 and 3 previous stickers, because there is no card that has more than 4 free enhancement places on it's upper or lower part. If you would sum it up for the complete card, the table would have to show the cases for 4,5,... previous stickers too. But the rule clearly speaks of 'action' and not of 'card', so I think the example is missworded.

This is the most convincing answer. Thank you.

I was definitely playing this wrong.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
danom wrote:
The enhancement cost increases per sticker on the action (=complete upper or lower part) of the card. If the lower part has 3 stickers and the upper part has none yet, you don't pay anything extra to improve the upper part. That is why the table only shows the additional cost for 1,2 and 3 previous stickers, because there is no card that has more than 4 free enhancement places on it's upper or lower part. If you would sum it up for the complete card, the table would have to show the cases for 4,5,... previous stickers too. But the rule clearly speaks of 'action' and not of 'card', so I think the example is missworded.


I was going to say you were wrong, but I find your argument convincing as well.

This would be a good place for language clean-up in the second edition.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Mcdonald
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mournful wrote:
danom wrote:
The enhancement cost increases per sticker on the action (=complete upper or lower part) of the card. If the lower part has 3 stickers and the upper part has none yet, you don't pay anything extra to improve the upper part. That is why the table only shows the additional cost for 1,2 and 3 previous stickers, because there is no card that has more than 4 free enhancement places on it's upper or lower part. If you would sum it up for the complete card, the table would have to show the cases for 4,5,... previous stickers too. But the rule clearly speaks of 'action' and not of 'card', so I think the example is missworded.


I was going to say you were wrong, but I find your argument convincing as well.

This would be a good place for language clean-up in the second edition.


Are there really cards with 5 areas to upgrade, I haven't looked for it but that seems excessive?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mac9891 wrote:
mournful wrote:
danom wrote:
The enhancement cost increases per sticker on the action (=complete upper or lower part) of the card. If the lower part has 3 stickers and the upper part has none yet, you don't pay anything extra to improve the upper part. That is why the table only shows the additional cost for 1,2 and 3 previous stickers, because there is no card that has more than 4 free enhancement places on it's upper or lower part. If you would sum it up for the complete card, the table would have to show the cases for 4,5,... previous stickers too. But the rule clearly speaks of 'action' and not of 'card', so I think the example is missworded.


I was going to say you were wrong, but I find your argument convincing as well.

This would be a good place for language clean-up in the second edition.


Are there really cards with 5 areas to upgrade, I haven't looked for it but that seems excessive?

There is at least one in the two classes I have set up on the table right now: Aid from the Ether - Spellweaver
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.