Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: The oddly satisfying process of setting up a scenario (solo play): rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tobyr21 Pseudonym
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
The exciting action in Gloomhaven is playing a scenario. Everything else is interesting, but rather quiet. There's nothing like the excitement of planning your best play and then checking the Initiatives and the modifer decks to see what will happen.

It can take more than 20 minutes to set up a scenario. Monsters and cards have to be filed away, dungeon tiles filed and found assembled, new monsters placed on their stands, the dungeon populated with its obstacles etc, and decks prepared and shuffled.

I expected that during this setup process, I would be pitifully eager to get to the scenario itself. But in fact, setting up to play a scenario is an oddly satisfying process. Because the game is so well organized, and the atmospherics of the artwork are so convincing, I feel that I'm making discoveries and accomplishing something while I prepare scenario. This is yet one more wonderful aspect of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am somewhat in your boat.

I really enjoy searching for all needed scenario tiles and the stuff the monsters need to be played. Setting up the dungeon and thinking about the first steps to take with my character is interesting and fun for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I am not in that boat. The initial setup, for me, is just long and takes away from time I could be spending playing the game. I wouldn't mind it as much if everything was set after the initial setup but it isn't. Once you open a door you are setting up again. Not ideal in my book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristabelle Du Bast
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rashktah wrote:
I am somewhat in your boat.

I really enjoy searching for all needed scenario tiles and the stuff the monsters need to be played. Setting up the dungeon and thinking about the first steps to take with my character is interesting and fun for me.

Yup, exactly how I feel setting up a scenario. I don't have Gloomhaven (yet) but I really enjoy setting up Descent or Myth, often doing it quite slowly to savour the buildup to playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I do enjoy the process of getting out all the components, setting it all up, and also the process of putting it all neatly away at the end as well.

I'm not entirely sure the people I play with feel the same way, however! Since I have my own "system" for how everything should be organized, I sometimes find it hard to allow other people to be a part of that process.

Maybe next time I'll assign some components to some players and let them help out so they aren't just sitting there thinking the setup "takes too long" (I don't really think it takes that long, especially considering how big the game is).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
malkaven wrote:
I am not in that boat. The initial setup, for me, is just long and takes away from time I could be spending playing the game. I wouldn't mind it as much if everything was set after the initial setup but it isn't. Once you open a door you are setting up again. Not ideal in my book.

I place everything but monsters on the initial setup. Then when I open doors it's just a couple quick things to do.

Maybe that will help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
mournful wrote:
malkaven wrote:

I place everything but monsters on the initial setup. Then when I open doors it's just a couple quick things to do.

Maybe that will help?

Yeah, I do the same thing. Either way you have to stop the game and setup the monsters at very least. It's not the end of the world but in my opinion your drinking some serious juice if you find that process amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lucus Trout
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if I find the process satisfying. I like setting out the components and wondering what will be where. (I am also good about not memorizing what will be in the room.) I'm also wondering where the story will turn next and what choices we will be presented with after the first scenario (we try to play 2 a session). I suppose I find it a necessary chore that I always have a pretty good time doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tobyr21 Pseudonym
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Here's an interesting test: do you prefer to switch to a different scenario, or to play the same scenario again? For example, I have failed three times to win scenario #4. I wonder if I would do better at scenario #5 (which I am entitled to play, but I have not checked it out.)

I am going to try scenario #4 one more time before switching to #5. Part of the reason is that I don't like setting up an entire new scenario THAT much. It takes less time to set up a replay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.