Star Trek: Catan» Forums » General

Subject: Look of map rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dork Angel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they missed an opportunity to make the map look much better. The original Catan looked a bit like an island but because they tried to copy that look, this looks nothing like a space map. Instead of big different coloured planets I think the should have gone with space features. Maybe nebula, red star system, yellow star system, asteroids, etc with a black hole in the centre. This way the map would have looked like actual space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the expansion. The new map in there was modeled off some of the charts from the series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They missed an opportunity when they decided to base this on regular Catan instead of Starfarers, which has spaceships travelling across the board, not as replacements for roads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Ross
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FunkyBlue wrote:
Check out the expansion. The new map in there was modeled off some of the charts from the series.

I recommend this as well. They are based off the star charts in Capt Kirks ready room if I remember correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Primus0788 wrote:
FunkyBlue wrote:

I recommend this as well. They are based off the star charts in Capt Kirks ready room if I remember correctly.

Also agree with this assessment - in fact, I'd go as far to suggest that without the Star Trek map expansion this variant probably isn't worth owning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dork Angel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses and the expansion maps do look better. It's a shame they're fixed though as I do like building different maps with the tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.