Kristy Moruso
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Them cards will screw you...
badge
Lil anteater nose!
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw this at my local game store and decided to check it out a bit on BGG. After watching a Dice Tower video, it seems pretty nifty.
However, I'm fairly certain I've never played an auction game before and the concept seems a little weird to me. Think I should pick it up sometime or should I give it some more thought? My collection is on my profile if that helps.
Thanks gamers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schema Man
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you should. Each person I've introduced this to has said they liked it and asked to play it again. It's quick, the art is really nice (IMHO), there's a lot of interesting decisions about whether to use your cards for boats/money/captaining and it's awesome value for the money. BTW, the Arctic Bounty expansion is absolutely worth getting too, especially if you are planning to do 2 players.

I hope that helps you decide!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cory peacock
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schemaman wrote:
Yes you should. Each person I've introduced this to has said they liked it and asked to play it again. It's quick, the art is really nice (IMHO), there's a lot of interesting decisions about whether to use your cards for boats/money/captaining and it's awesome value for the money. BTW, the Arctic Bounty expansion is absolutely worth getting too, especially if you are planning to do 2 players.

I hope that helps you decide!

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some similarities to San Juan which you like.

What about auctions seem weird?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it's an auction game, so who knows if you'd like it. Not everyone like auction games, but they are an interesting genre. The trouble with all auction games is the first time you play it you don't really know how much to bid. That understanding only comes from repeated plays. In Fleet you generally don't want to bid too much above the fixed starting bid, keep bids small.

Anyway, Fleet is a pretty good one, if you don't mind the theme of exploiting arctic fisheries (i.e. it's not environmentally conscious).

As for the expansion, it's good, but the BIG downside is it makes set up A LOT more time consuming, as there are multiple sets of cards to organise and mix and explain. If you're an organised sort of person it's not too bad, but there is more work to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Next Game Please
England
Frome
Somerset
flag msg tools
Find a Friend
badge
Next Game Please
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:

Generally, I don't like games with auctions. However, the way the game benefits multiples of licences, it can be worth paying more over the odds. And these auctions are much better than others that seem never-ending.

The expansion holds some really beneficial cards that allow you to fish without a captain as well as other ways of earning points that help balance up the game. I'd really recommend the game and expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Mayes
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely give this one a try! It's a great game.after you have played it a while and If you enjoy it I would recommend getting the expansion as it adds a lot of fun new cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
Well, it's an auction game, so who knows if you'd like it. Not everyone like auction games, but they are an interesting genre. The trouble with all auction games is the first time you play it you don't really know how much to bid. That understanding only comes from repeated plays. In Fleet you generally don't want to bid too much above the fixed starting bid, keep bids small.

Anyway, Fleet is a pretty good one, if you don't mind the theme of exploiting arctic fisheries (i.e. it's not environmentally conscious).

As for the expansion, it's good, but the BIG downside is it makes set up A LOT more time consuming, as there are multiple sets of cards to organise and mix and explain. If you're an organised sort of person it's not too bad, but there is more work to do.

The set up time with the expansion is only an issue if you are hell bent on a new combination of boats and licenses every game. It is far more sensible and efficient to find a combo you like and leave it together for a while. Then switch them up and use that new combo for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristy Moruso
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Them cards will screw you...
badge
Lil anteater nose!
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:

I think what I meant to say was that I'm not sure how much I'd actually enjoy auctioning and in a sense it doesn't appeal to me. However I like the different theme and the multiple uses for cards, but if I'm not super gung-ho about auction games, can I still enjoy this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
datpusheen wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:

I think what I meant to say was that I'm not sure how much I'd actually enjoy auctioning and in a sense it doesn't appeal to me. However I like the different theme and the multiple uses for cards, but if I'm not super gung-ho about auction games, can I still enjoy this game?
You'll need to try an auction game to see if you like them. This is a decent one to start with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
datpusheen wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:

I would say yes. The auction part of the game is limited (i.e. each player can only purchase one license per turn) and fairly simple and "forgiving". There are many layers/aspects to the game outside of the auction.

In fact, I wouldn't call it an "auction game" as much as I would simply acknowledge that an auction mechanic is part of it - but, imho, not even the "primary" aspect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alliantie AJ
Belgium
Rijkevorsel
België
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
However I haven't played this game for a long time, I do find it a very solid game with a great thema and materials.

With two it works but the auction is as you can expect not very good. And you need more plays to get a smooth play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Symington
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's my second favorite game - I highly recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, have you played it? What are your thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.