Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Shuffle
HP: 30
Crossroads
Power: One player shuffles any number of cards from their hand into their deck, then draws as many cards as shuffled into their deck this way.

Incap:
- Reveal and replace the top card of each deck. Then, shuffle one deck.
- One target regains 2 HP.
- Destroy an Environment card.

One-Shot (x3)
----------------------

Twitch (x3)
Until the end of the turn, after you shuffle your deck for any reason, reveal and replace the top card of your deck.
You may shuffle your deck.
You may shuffle your deck.

Ongoing, Self, Author, Limited (x4)
----------------------

J. Levin Michaels, Man of Imagination (x2)
When this card enters play, return all non-Author Self cards to your hand. If you returned any cards to your hand this way, you may play a card you haven't played this turn.
Power: Reveal and replace the top card of each deck. Then, shuffle one deck. You may play an Author card.

Celebrity Author (x2)
When this card enters play, return all non-Author Self cards to your hand. If you returned any cards to your hand this way, you may play a card you haven't played this turn.
The first time Shuffle is dealt damage during the villain turn, all players may draw a card.

One-Shot, Self, Author (x2)
----------------------

Bankroll Project (x2)
Choose a hero deck. Reveal cards from the top of that deck until two Equipment cards are revealed. Put one into play and shuffle all other revealed cards back into the deck.

Equipment, Self, Author, Limited (x2)
----------------------

Limousine (x2)
Reduce all damage dealt to Shuffle by 1.

Ongoing, Self, Doctor, Limited (x4)
----------------------

Dr. Levine, Man of Reason (x2)
When this card enters play, return all non-Doctor Self cards to your hand. If you returned any cards to your hand this way, you may play a card you haven't played this turn.
Shuffle is immune to radiant, infernal, and psychic damage.
Power: Shuffle a card from your hand into your deck. If you do, one target other than Shuffle regains 2 HP and you may play a Doctor card.

Trauma Surgeon (x2)
When this card enters play, return all non-Doctor Self cards to your hand. If you returned any cards to your hand this way, you may play a card you haven't played this turn.
Power: Each player may discard a card. Players that do regain 1 HP and may draw a card.

Equipment, Self, Doctor, Limited (x4)
----------------------

Doctor's Bag (x2)
Increase HP regained by hero targets by 1.
Power: All hero targets regain 1 HP. Draw a card.

Scalpel (x2)
Power: Shuffle deals 1 target 1 irreducible melee damage. Draw a card.

Ongoing, Self, Agent, Limited (x4)
----------------------

Agent Johnny, Man of Action (x2)
When this card enters play, return all non-Agent Self cards to your hand. If you returned any cards to your hand this way, you may play a card you haven't played this turn.
When Shuffle would be dealt melee or projectile damage, you may discard a card to redirect that damage to another target.
Power: Shuffle a card from your hand into your deck. If you do, you may destroy an Environment card and play an Agent card.

Arrest Warrant (x2)
When this card enters play, return all non-Agent Self cards to your hand. If you returned any cards to your hand this way, you may play a card you haven't played this turn.
Power: Shuffle a card from the villain trash into the villain deck. Deal 1 villain target 2 projectile damage.

Equipment, Self, Agent, Limited (x4)
----------------------

Standard Issue Sidearm (x2)
Power: Shuffle deals 1 target 3 projectile damage.

Photograph of Wife (x2)
When Shuffle is dealt damage by a villain target, you may shuffle this card into to your deck. If you do, reduce that damage by 2, and play a card.

Ongoing (x4)
----------------------

Reality Feedback (x4)
Whenever your deck is shuffled for any reason, Shuffle may deal 1 target 1 psychic damage.

Ongoing, Limited (x9)
----------------------

The Becoming (x2)
Whenever your deck is shuffled for any reason, Shuffle may deal himself 2 irreducible psychic damage. If Shuffle takes damage this way, one other player may play a card.

Blended Memories (x2)
At the end of the environment turn, you may play a Self card.

Replenishing Shift (x3)
Whenever your deck is shuffled for any reason, Shuffle regains 1 HP.

Identity Roulette (x2)
The first time each turn you play a Self card, you may use a power.

Revisions:
- Made it clear that the shuffle effect happened whenever Shuffle shuffled for any reason.
- Rewrote all Self cards so they return other cards and allow a play.
- Rewrote base power so instead of putting cards on top of deck, it cycles cards in any deck.
- Rewrote all "Man of ____" cards so they include a shuffle and play another Self card.
- Removed Ever-Growing Spiral, which was increasing damage each time he shuffled and was too much.
- Made Reality Feedback not Limited, but only take effect when his own deck is Shuffled.
- Shifted around Doctor abilities.
- Removed FBI Badge (which gave a shuffle and an environment management ability that was never much use) and replaced with Photograph of Wife. It provides some defense, but also acts as a way to get a shuffle and a card play off-turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Power Source: Reality Distortion
Birthplace: New York City, New York

Author J. Levine Michaels earned celebrity with sacrifices and compromises, and he was not all too happy about that. He channeled that longing for a better life into his work.

His third bestselling series, The Becoming, described a force that, when tapped, allowed the user to go back and change life choices to make a better life. In the final chapter of the trilogy, he wrote about The Becoming leaving the world of fiction and entering into reality.

...and then it did.

Now he shifts between different versions of himself, other selves he could have been, different lives. Memories blend between them, and he is erased and recreated in a mad shuffle depending on what self is most needed at any given time.

Now he is a celebrity author, and a trauma surgeon, and an FBI agent, but most of all, a hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
My goal with this was a deck that keyed off of the deck being reshuffled -- Twitch was the first card to come to mind, and I wanted it to be useless at first but ramp up into his best boss-finisher by the end.

The theme that seemed to make sense for that was an alternate-timeline kind of character, and I liked the idea that he could switch between alternate versions of himself. From there I went with three professions that seemed like they'd be dramatic, each with its own playstyle and variants on the same name. (Within the FBI, cheery nicknames are not uncommon, and as an author he used a family name as a pen name to sound more authorial. In each case, he started as John Levine.)

I think there's some interesting interactions, some powerful combos, and a few various play styles in there that would be good at different times.

One note: Blended Memories lets him mix styles, but specifically he can't keep it up when he has Man of Reason out. That's intentional! I'm figuring when he's in Doctor Mode sometimes his very rational mind shuts out the inconsistencies from other memories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Normally I quite like your work, but I'm not sure I'm that keen on this one...

I get the idea of changing between three "forms", each of which has their own strengths - kind of like Naturalist or Skyscraper, but in this case because when you change to a new form you lose EVERYTHING in the previous form, it's a really strong disincentive to ever change. I can see myself becoming say, Dr. Levine on turn 1, getting a couple of good cards out. Then even if I get a cool Agent Johnny card, I'm probably never going to play it as doing so will undo two turns of work. The base power and even "The Becoming" have the same problem - exchange whatever I currently have (which may or may not be kinda useful) for something quite random that may or may not be better, and may or may not be appropriate for the situation I'm in.

Skyscraper works quite well because she doesn't lose anything when she changes, so why wouldn't you flip forms as the situation demands it? Naturalist tends to be more static in form as you have to give up a power to change forms, but even for him when I switch to Rhino, Cornered Form might be not as useful, but at least it stays there in case I switch back to Crocodile.

There's a good idea here and the three characters each have pretty solid themes and styles, but I think the cost of transition would be too high. Maybe when you play a new self, all the other selfs go back to your hand and you may play that many self cards - that way your work doesn't go away, just changes X number of self cards to X number of new self cards. Or maybe you turn the other ones face down, so if you go back into that self they come back up? Not sure there's a good way to do it without being too close to Naturalist or Skyscraper...

Additionally, not sure I like the stuff triggering off Shuffling. I get it fits the name, but it just seems like something of a chore. Twitch in particular... I can see myself using this card and thinking "Well, I don't know anything about the order in my deck anyway, and it's not like I've searched the deck or anything so... does it make any difference if it don't shuffle it once, much less three times?" It's also not that connected to much else in the deck - you could replace Twitch with "Clap your hands three times" and make all the ongoings "When you clap your hands..." and it wouldn't make much difference. Having said that, I'm assuming "Shuffle card back into your deck" doesn't count as shuffling you deck, not sure here?

As a stab in the dark, might be more mechanically relevant (and give more reason to change, as per the first problem) if instead these triggered (probably with bigger triggers, I'm guessing) if you changed Self?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Adelphophage wrote:

Thanks for taking a look! Great advice, I will need to think about that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Adelphophage wrote:

Thank you very much! And I'm not sure either.

Adelphophage wrote:
I get the idea of changing between three "forms", each of which has their own strengths - kind of like Naturalist or Skyscraper, but in this case because when you change to a new form you lose EVERYTHING in the previous form, it's a really strong disincentive to ever change.

Yeah, I think you've hit on a problem with the deck. I tried to add The Becoming and a few others to make it a little more advantageous to switch, but getting rid of everything is a pretty high price for that.

Adelphophage wrote:
Skyscraper works quite well because she doesn't lose anything when she changes, so why wouldn't you flip forms as the situation demands it?

And, in fact, if you have Proportionist out (which you really want to), you get a big bonus each time you flip forms. Very good point.

Adelphophage wrote:
Maybe when you play a new self, all the other selfs go back to your hand and you may play that many self cards - that way your work doesn't go away, just changes X number of self cards to X number of new self cards.

That seems promising. If I decide to keep developing this guy, I'll be using that!

Adelphophage wrote:
Additionally, not sure I like the stuff triggering off Shuffling.

Yeah! The idea I wanted to play with here was a character that triggered off shuffling. (Kind of the way that, say, Tachyon triggers off your discard pile. A very different mechanical space to show different flavor.)

Adelphophage wrote:
Twitch in particular... I can see myself using this card and thinking "Well, I don't know anything about the order in my deck anyway, and it's not like I've searched the deck or anything so... does it make any difference if it don't shuffle it once, much less three times?"

Yeah, I think unless stuff happens in the middle that would affect it, just tapping your deck would be just as well.

Adelphophage wrote:
Having said that, I'm assuming "Shuffle card back into your deck" doesn't count as shuffling you deck, not sure here?

Oh! No, that was intended to trigger off that. Any time you're searching or revealing and then shuffling, or even when you run out of cards and shuffle your discards back in, you're triggering those Ongoings. That was kind of what I was going for there.

Adelphophage wrote:
As a stab in the dark, might be more mechanically relevant (and give more reason to change, as per the first problem) if instead these triggered (probably with bigger triggers, I'm guessing) if you changed Self?

That might be worthwhile, yeah.

Thanks again for all the feedback. I was talking with a friend recently about how much I've been enjoying this forum and how much I appreciate the really helpful feedback, rather than just a cheering section, and I'm really grateful for it.

I'll be looking at this and seeing if I can find ways to improve it. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Okay, revised it somewhat.

Now, instead of just destroying your Self cards, you pull them back into your hand, and if you pulled any, you get an extra play. Hopefully that should lower the cost of switching. Identity Roulette also lets you pull a Self card from your deck (and get another shuffle) when you switch, which gives a little more incentive.

Ditched the previous The Becoming card and renamed Perfect Coincidence to that.

Changed the Ongoings so they explicitly trigger when his deck (or in one case any deck) is shuffled for any reason.

Changed his base power to something completely different: discard a card to put a card in the trash on top of a deck. This should provide use for any Self cards he doesn't want, and give him some pretty potent deck-control utility. Made it so he needs to switch decks each time.

I think I may start playtesting him soon. It may be that, even with these improvements, he doesn't work, in which case I'll probably scrap him. If he does work after a playtest or two, I'll start tweaking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus Butler
Ireland
flag msg tools
mb
Power: Discard a card. If you do, place a card in any trash (other than the trash you targeted the last time you used this power) on top of the appropriate deck.

Even with you can't do it to the same deck twice in a row, this could really screw over some villain decks. Doubly so if you have another hero who gives you out of turn powers so you can always make the villain play his worst card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
In order to make "Twitch" more useful early on and making it more relevant that you actually shuffle your deck and not just pretend to, you could give it a small effect each time you shuffle. i was thinking of:

Twitch
One-Shot
Reveal and replace the top card of your deck. You may shuffle your deck.

This way you could stop, if you randomly find exactly the card you were looking for, or you could keep shuffling, when you want to trigger your ongoing effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Faceontoast wrote:
Power: Discard a card. If you do, place a card in any trash (other than the trash you targeted the last time you used this power) on top of the appropriate deck.

Even with you can't do it to the same deck twice in a row, this could really screw over some villain decks. Doubly so if you have another hero who gives you out of turn powers so you can always make the villain play his worst card.

Hmm. Good point. Any suggestions?

johnny_guitar_watson wrote:
In order to make "Twitch" more useful early on and making it more relevant that you actually shuffle your deck and not just pretend to, you could give it a small effect each time you shuffle. i was thinking of:

Twitch
One-Shot

This way you could stop, if you randomly find exactly the card you were looking for, or you could keep shuffling, when you want to trigger your ongoing effects.

I like that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
I feel like your innate power should incorporate the whole deck shuffeling shtick. Maybe you could go for something like this?

Power: One player shuffles a card from hand into their deck. That player may draw a card.

could be a fun support power that let's you go crazy later in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I feel like your innate power should incorporate the whole deck shuffeling shtick. Maybe you could go for something like this?

Power: One player shuffles a card from hand into their deck. That player may draw a card.

could be a fun support power that let's you go crazy later in the game.

Perfect. Updated for brevity, but otherwise I'm going for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
I just thought you could make it a little stronger even..what do you think of this?

Power: One player shuffles any number of cards from their hand into their deck, then draws as many cards as shuffled into their deck this way.

Not sure about the wording, could be a bit clearer..would this power be too good? Expatriette with a gun-less starting hand would love you though..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I just thought you could make it a little stronger even..what do you think of this?

Not sure about the wording, could be a bit clearer..would this power be too good? Expatriette with a gun-less starting hand would love you though..

Seems worth a shot! If it's too strong in playtest I'll change it back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Okay, cleaned up some card text, and changed a few Powers to make the Powers different.

I'm determined to hammer this Hero into playability! Now it's time for me to format, print, and playtest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
A random idea that might clean up some of your "self" cards...

The innate power could just be "Return any number of self cards to your hand. You may play X self cards, where X is the number of cards returned this way. If you play no cards this way, draw a card,"

That way the Self cards could just have "destroy all non-X self cards" instead of the whole thing, and it would give you a way to change between Selves quite cleanly. I take back 2 agent cards, I can play 2 Author cards.

I know it fits with the name, but I kind of feel like the whole complex form changing thing is doing plenty for Shuffle, without the whole "shuffling your deck kinda sorta matters sometimes" mechanic thrown in. Better to do one thing right!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Adelphophage wrote:
A random idea that might clean up some of your "self" cards...

That would really clean up the card text! Thanks very much!

I'm a little worried it'll slow his play, since he can't use any of his powers when he switches forms, but it may be worth it. (And, if that's the only limitation, I can add a "Use a Power" to the end of it.)

I'll be toying with this!

Adelphophage wrote:
I know it fits with the name, but I kind of feel like the whole complex form changing thing is doing plenty for Shuffle, without the whole "shuffling your deck kinda sorta matters sometimes" mechanic thrown in. Better to do one thing right!

(gestures boldly) TO PLAYTEST I GO!

Yep, I think I need to do a few test games with him to see what works and what doesn't. I just finally got him into an Excel spreadsheet (because tosx is awesome and his spreadsheet makes these things way easier) and I'll playtest a few games with the "using shuffle" mechanic. If it's not fun I'll thoroughly scrap it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Playtested a little, and the deck actually worked out a lot better than I thought it would. It felt really smooth and was fun to play. The shuffling synergy came up in interesting ways, and his base power really made it pretty easy to keep a Self or switch. The two themes of the deck (three different Selves and the shuffling) fit together well.

One problem I saw was that the Author was a little better than the other two, so I buffed up the others a bit so they’d be more useful at different times.

I am liking how the styles are different (Author supports other heroes and tanks damage, Agent manages environment and does damage but burns through cards, Doctor heals and draws cards and does irreducible damage.)

Updated from Playtest:

- Made Limousine Limited, because riding around in two Limousines makes no sense and also it’s too powerful.

- Just generally made most of the Ongoing and Equipment cards Limited because it makes more sense.

- Made Bankroll Project reveal two Equipment cards instead of allowing a search, because it was too powerful.

- Added card draw to Doctor’s Bag and Scalpel.

- Made Trauma Surgeon shuffle a card into the deck to draw a card out, to cycle out off-Self cards and get a little more shuffling.

- Gave Man of Action the Environment-destruction from FBI Badge, because it didn’t feel very active. Also made the redirect happen more often but require a discard. Man of Action likes discarding cards.

- Got rid of Blended Memories, which let him keep Self cards but sustain damage. It was really kind of muddying the identities and didn't work well in play.

- Changed Identity Roulette to give an extra Power use the first time he plays a Self card. The previous ability was unwieldy and rarely worth it. This versions about as useful and much simpler.

- Changed Investigation to Arrest Warrant and added a new power for shuffling and villain management and a little damage.

- Moved the Environment-management card from Investigation into FBI Badge.

- Made Reality Feedback non-Limited, but only 1 target for 1 damage, and it happens when any deck Shuffles.

- Added "You may play a Self card" to his three Man of X powers, to make it easier both to ramp up a Self or to switch Self.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Okay, playtested some more and he's now a lot of fun.

Edited so that he can't go back and forth between Self cards indefinitely (which wouldn't actually do anything but may cause a broken combination with other decks).

At this point, he's generally switching about once a turn, and kinda slowly builds up more shuffle-using cards that make his other powers work well.

He can chain off his own cards a little, but it doesn't seem to slow down play much.

I'm feeling happy with him at this point, but will probably play a few more games before I start thinking about art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Okay, gotten a few more test games in with him. He's definitely fun and runs smoothly, but he's still a little too strong, so I scaled him back:

- Twitch only shuffles twice.
- Replenishing Shift only takes effect when Shuffle shuffles his own deck.
- Ever-Growing Spiral's boost only lasts until the end of the turn.
- Man of Imagination/Action/Reason only allows you to play a Self card of the same type (Author/Agent/Doctor).

Playtest files coming out soon (once I get Adobe Illustrator reinstalled.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
After a bunch more playtest, I decided he was still too powerful.

I got rid of Ever-Growing Spiral, which was the biggest culprit (+1 damage every time he shuffled was too prone to exploding damage), and replaced it with a card that lets Shuffle play a Self card at the end of the environment turn. (This can spark nearly a whole extra turn if Identity Roulette and another Self card are in play.) This takes a lot of setup to get going, so I'm okay with that.

Also, Reality Feedback now only triggers if he shuffles his own deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.