Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerry
United States
Graham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I was back at my Mom's house doing some stuff from her to-do list. I ended up cleaning out some stuff from an old closet that hadn't been touched for probably 16 years (that's nothing - I know she has stuff in boxes under the stairs that haven't been opened since we moved there in 1980).

One of the things I found were my boxes and books full of these X-Files cards. I remember collecting them but I did it like football cards, not as a game. I never played but filled books full of 9-slot card pages. Each row was the same card so I was trying to get 3 of each.

I don't know if I quit while cards were still coming out or not. Been a long time. I do remember having to hunt down magazines that were nearly impossible to get in my area (Scrye comes to mind) because they had cards in them. I even have some extra stuff like counter box, foil packs, checklist pads, etc. Looks like I wrote to the publisher at one time for some reason because I have a letter in there with some 'special' cards in it.

Anyway, going to try and figure out what I have/need and finally play this thing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, a full playset is two copies of a card, not three. So, I'm not sure what you were trying to achieve there.

There's only three sets: Premiere (with gray file folders), The Truth is Out There (with dark blue file folders), and 101362 (with gray-green folders). TTIOT is a reprint of the core set, with 30 cards replaced, 101362 is an actual expansion that draws material from the third season. Normal cards are all numbered sequentially (up to 500 something), though the exact order is slightly idiosyncratic.

Promo cards will match one of the existing sets (indicating which release they were associated with). As I recall, their numbers are unique to that release, and restart. So, there's two (or three) 0001 promos, for instance. But, I could be mistaken. There's also five different versions of the Smoke and Mirrors promo, to the best of my recollection, they share a card number, but have distinct version numbers on them.

Finally, there's two versions of Mulder, Scully, Skinner, and Krycek in the premier set. Fixed version that appeared in starters (and were reprinted with new folder colors in TTIOT), and chase versions that only appeared in premier boosters. From a gameplay perspective, the cards are identical, but they have unique numbers, and different art.

It's probably worth mentioning, that the big difference between Premier and TTIOT is that all of the Chase rarity cards were replaced (along with 20 rares). There's 25 Chase cards total in the game. (10 from Premier, 10 from TTIOT, and 5 from 101362.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry
United States
Graham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StarkeRealm wrote:
For what it's worth, a full playset is two copies of a card, not three. So, I'm not sure what you were trying to achieve there.

Well, like I said, I was collecting like football cards with no thought to game at all. There was a time when I collected things that I would get multiple copies of everything. One to enjoy (display, play with, etc.), one to keep locked away nice, and one or more to sell later and hopefully pay for the other two. It worked out well usually. In fact, I guess I still do similar things with KS games (see Scythe and others).

I think I kept it at 3 copies in this game because the 9-card sheets fit 3 in a row. Built in organizing.

Thanks for all the other info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.