Subject: Die vs Dice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things // Jackie Mclean: Swing Swang Swingin' // Clifford Jordan: Cliff Craft // Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song
mbmbmbmbmb
To almost all video reviewers:

Die is the singular form and Dice the plural, please stop using them willy nilly , or are we at a point in grammatical history where the difference no longer matters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Russell
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although language needs rules for grammar and spellings so we can communicate efficiently, language is also a living thing that changes. Try reading Geoffrey Chaucer and see what's happened over a few hundred years.

We say one deer and ten deer. Who cares if people call a die a dice? It sounds better saying dice anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Nofunatalll wrote:

Die is the singular form and Dice the plural, please stop using them willy nilly , or are we at a point in grammatical history where the difference no longer matters?

Funny thing about die/dice. The English are the most likely to call it a singular dice, because that's just how it is used (and has been for a long, long time).

I agree wholeheartedly about the correct usage, but you're on a hiding to nothing with this one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Curato
France
Albi
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Grammar aside, googling for dice is much easier than looking for die...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Nofunatalll wrote:

As noted in Common English Mistakes and innumerable past threads, this is a difference in US vs UK English.

(And yet as an exception, apparently very few speakers of UK English translate Caesar's famous quote "alea iacta est" as "The dice is cast", but rather use the traditional "The die is cast".)

(That said, if you're talking specifically to US reviewers, then yeah, they should say "die" for a single die.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Platt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
As an Englishman I can confirm that we always say dice, even when there is only one.
I'm currently designing a game and listed in the contents is "1 Dice."
We only use "die" when quoting literature and playing boardgames with The Queen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
Text coming soon... probably...
badge
Get tipsy and fight a farmer with Strength 3
mbmbmbmbmb
As an Englishman, I can confirm that "I" always say die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Platt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
talismanisland wrote:
As an Englishman, I can confirm that "I" always say die.

Of course your majesty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things // Jackie Mclean: Swing Swang Swingin' // Clifford Jordan: Cliff Craft // Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess being an EFL teacher makes me a bit too sensitive to the matter, teaching grammar all day makes it hard to turn that switch off when listerning to native speakers .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
English is not perfect. Therefore the language evolves. The language conservatives want things to stay the same and familiar and "correct". But the word "die" is a homonym of a word with very negative connotations. Dice is a homonym of the verb "to dice" which seems to mean to cut up in cubes.

Also "dice" is an irregular plural, "dies" would be more logical. Therefore ordinary people are using "dice" as a singular. "dice" does not really sound like a plural anyways (with the exception of "mice" which should be "mouses" anyways).

Maybe in a 100 years it will be "I rolled one dice" and "I rolled three dices".

One of the great strengths of the English language is that it evolves faster than many other languages (including my other language French).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Shaw
United Kingdom
Fleet
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Too many games, too little time
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the OED:
Quote:
In modern standard English, the singular die (rather than dice) is uncommon. Dice is used for both the singular and the plural.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/die
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timmo Warner
msg tools
mbmb
willshaw67 wrote:
According to the OED:
Quote:
In modern standard English, the singular die (rather than dice) is uncommon. Dice is used for both the singular and the plural.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/die

Judging purely from my own experience, I was a teenager before I EVER heard anyone call a single die a die rather than a dice.

In fact, it was and still is usually only people who play games outside the mainstream who ever bring it up. I first encountered it from D&D players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Greasby
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Walsh Code
mbmbmbmbmb
I say die but I don't mind changing. Containers use the singular, i.e. shoe box, match box, coin case, etc. Yet we say dice tower and dice tray.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bracey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
russ wrote:

(And yet as an exception, apparently very few speakers of UK English translate Caesar's famous quote "alea iacta est" as "The dice is cast", but rather use the traditional "The die is cast".)

It may have appealed because in English it creates a homonym, is Caesar casting his lot in with chance or is he forging the tool that will stamp his destiny (the 'die' that strikes a coin). There is no doubt that Caesar's supposed original remark refers to throwing dice and the obligation to then move (the Latin, or Greek, is unambiguous) but the ambiguity it creates may have appealed to translators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dodson
United Kingdom
Gateshead
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone knows that the singular of mice is mouse so I think it's pretty clear that the singular of dice should be douse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveNewcastle wrote:
Everyone knows that the singular of mice is mouse so I think it's pretty clear that the singular of dice should be douse.

YOU WIN!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well at least it doesn't get as confusing as sheep and fish
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom anonymous
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mb
I say dice, so do all my friends. We live in a world where literally means not literally so any objections to the malleability of language are literally pointless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
RobertBr wrote:
There is no doubt that Caesar's supposed original remark refers to throwing dice and the obligation to then move (the Latin, or Greek, is unambiguous) but the ambiguity it creates may have appealed to translators.

The original Latin "alea iacta est" grammatically/syntactically mentions a single die (as opposed to "aleae iactae sunt" for plural dice). I.e. "alea" is the singular nominative, and the verb form is also singular.

So even though dice games typically use more than one die, it seems that the quotation attributed to Caesar unambiguously refers to throwing a single die. Am I misunderstanding your point?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
To play is human; to win, divine.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand what is being communicated whether the speaker says die or dice.

I also understand people that use personal pronouns incorrectly, but it doesn't improve my opinion of them.

Hearing someone talk about a single dice just sounds wrong. It's like saying John and myself went to the store. Common to hear, and yet cringe-inducing. yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United Kingdom
West London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As an Englishman I can confirm I call them number cubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
rubberchicken wrote:

Maybe in a 100 years it will be "I rolled one dice" and "I rolled three dices".

I have heard this numerous times when playing games with non-native speakers. English has become the common language between people, even when none of them are native speakers, and this will have a profound effect on the evolution of the language. So, your prediction actually has some weight, I'd say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bracey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
russ wrote:

So even though dice games typically use more than one die, it seems that the quotation attributed to Caesar unambiguously refers to throwing a single die. Am I misunderstanding your point?

Completely. In fact so completely that I went back to what I wrote and checked. I was referring to the ambiguity the word creates in English (the latin is unambiguous) between die (a random number generator) and die (a stamp used to make an impression), both of which were current by the sixteenth/seventeenth century, and both of which are 'cast' (again in two different ways) so might have appealed to translators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
RobertBr wrote:
I was referring to the ambiguity the word creates in English (the latin is unambiguous) between die (a random number generator) and die (a stamp used to make an impression), both of which were current by the sixteenth/seventeenth century, and both of which are 'cast' (again in two different ways) so might have appealed to translators.

Aha! OK, thanks for clarifying!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.