Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Chrome Komtesse, Hell on Wheels

HP: 32
Juggernaut
Power: The Chrome Komtesse deals 1 target 3 melee damage and herself 1 melee damage.

Incapacitated:
- Choose a hero. Reduce all damage dealt to that hero by 1 until the start of your next turn.
- One hero may play a card.
- One hero regains 2 HP.

Ongoing, Limited (x7)
-------------------

Frenzy of Invention (x3)
Whenever one of your Equipment cards is destroyed, you may draw a card or play a card.

Ordinance Disposal Officer (x2)
Power: Choose a non-character target. Until the start of your next turn, that target cannot deal projectile, energy, fire, sonic, or lightning damage. If that target has 3 or fewer HP, you may destroy it.

Well-Earned Vigilance (x2)
Whenever you regain HP, you may look at the top two cards of the villain deck, then put one on the top and one on the bottom of that deck.

Equipment, Limited, Chair (x14)
-------------------

Armored Hoverthrone (x4)
Reduce damage to the Chrome Komtesse by 1.

Spherical Maneuver Thrusters (x4)
Redirect all damage dealt to hero targets by non-hero targets to the Chrome Komtesse.
Power: Deal 1 target 4 fire damage. Destroy this card.

Shock Plating (x2)
When the Chrome Komtesse is dealt damage by a target, she may discard a card to deal that target 3 lightning damage.

Ultrafoam Cradle (x3)
Draw an extra card during your draw phase.

Immersion Enclosure (x2)
Power: The Chrome Komtesse regains 1 HP and is immune to damage from environment cards until the start of your next turn.

Equipment, Limited (x4)
-------------------
Swivel Blaster (x2)
Power: The Chrome Komtesse deals 2 targets 3 energy damage each.

Undercarriage Waldo Array (x2)
Power: The Chrome Komtesse deals 1 target 2 melee damage. The Chrome Komtesse regains 2 HP.

Equipment (x5)
-------------------

Remote Detonator (x3)
Power: Destroy an Ongoing or Environment Card. Destroy this card.

Spring-Load Barrier (x2)
When the Chrome Komtesse is dealt damage, you may destroy this card to negate that damage.

One-Shot (x9)
-------------------

Upgrade My Baby (x3)
Search your deck or trash for a Chair card and put it into play. If you searched your deck, shuffle it.
The Chrome Komtesse regains 3 HP.

Human Meteor (x1)
Deal the Chrome Komtesse and all non-heroes X melee damage, where X is twice the number of Equipment cards you have in play.
Then destroy all your Equipment cards.

Better Than New (x3)
Move an Equipment card from any trash into play.
The hero character associated with that card regains 2 HP.

Rocket Barrage (x2)
Deal up to 3 targets 2 energy damage.
You may play a card.

Revisions:
- Changed base power from card-milling to Terror on Wheels to deal damage.
- Removed Metallurgical Innovations, which would cause her to heal when she did damage that got reduced, but was awkward in implementation.
- Updated Ordinance Disposal Officer to affect sonic mines and destroy targets up to 3 HP.
- Added more copies of Spherical Maneuver Thrusters.
- Got rid of Reflective Wheels.
- Changed Shock Plating to do 3 lightning damage but require a discard.
- Changed Spring Load Barrier to prevent damage.
- Increased damage from Human Meteor to double damage to all non-heroes.
- Dropped LIDAR Tracking, which increased damage, and replaced it with Rocket Barrage, which deals damage and allows another card play.
- Changed Undercarriage Claw Array to Undercarriage Waldo Array which deals damage and heals Chrome Komtesse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Aliases: Komtesse Astri Baardson

Power Source: Science

Birthplace: Oslo, Norway

Occupation: Duchess, Explosive Ordinance Disposal Officer (retired), Inventor

Bio:

Komtesse Astri Baardson was precocious, spirited, and patriotic. She was grateful, always, for the opportunities she had to help her beloved country. She was brilliant with technology, but devoted to selfless activity.

And so, in patriotic fervor perfectly common for nobility, she signed up for the military and put her talents to use as an Explosives Ordinance Disposal Officer and served with distinction in the Norwegian Allied Forces in Afghanistan.

Disarming bombs is a stressful and dangerous job for anyone, and injuries are common. Astri was brilliant, but not perfect. After a few years of service, she triggered an improved explosive device while attempting to protect a village. She was grateful that she was the only one hurt, but she lost 95% of sensation and mobility in both her legs.

The term "confined to a wheelchair" is one that nobody in a wheelchair particularly likes -- because the chair provides motion, opportunity, and freedom, not confinement. For Astri, this was more true than ever. With her technological brilliance and her family's royal fortunes, she fell intro improving her chair with aplomb, adding enhancement after enhancement with her usual sense of cheer and nonstop activity.

After perfecting the spherical hoverthrusters, chrome encasements, and an increasing assortment of comfort accessories, Astri realized the wheelchair provided her with more than just freedom. She had an opportunity to be a hero.

And so she added new weaponry to the chair she affectionately calls "My Baby" and took to the sky to help make the world a better place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Alternate Version
The Chrome Komtesse, Royal Roboticist
Upgrade
HP: 33
Base Power: Reveal the top card of your deck. Put it into play, or discard it and The Chrome Komtesse regains 1 HP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I seem to be on a roll with new heroes!

The Chrome Komtesse is intended to be a tank. She has a lot of HP and a lot of ways to regain them.

One notable interaction: She has a lot of Equipment that destroy themselves in various ways. Once she gets out Frenzy of Invention, this is a benefit more than a price.

A few years ago, a friend of mine in a wheelchair crowdsourced a mission to rephrase every Wikipedia article that included the phrase "confined to a wheelchair." I took all the comic book related ones -- a lot of them got reverted, but it still stuck in my mind. The folks in wheelchairs I know tend to treat their chairs like a superpower, so I figured I'd take that to the next level with a super-inventor.

I'm figuring a lot of her HP come from her chair, and she's constantly tinkering with it and repairing it in the middle of the action.

She can be a tank or a decent damage-dealer, and can provide some support as well. In particularly, I wanted to make her good at disarming bomb-like abilities, hence Ordinance Disposal Officer.

I'm a little worried she may have too many kinds of cards and not enough copies of the important ones. I deleted three cards I'd written for her that seems interesting but not central. If I need to get rid of more cards and consolidate I'll probably drop LIDAR Tracking, Undercarriage Pincer Claw, Esprit de Corps, and Well-Earned Vigilance, in approximately that order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Hateful Darkblack wrote:

Pun intended?

Firstly, very cool idea. Even without art or much flavor text I can imagine the world's most heavily armed wheelchair hovering through the sky, like a B-52 with a kind of inefficient propulsion system.

The overall mechanics seem solid, tons of equipment, a nice innate power that helps her get setup. I have some notes on specific cards, but I worry a little she is TOO tanky? Almost all of her cards fixate on healing or being tough in various ways, by my count she has 7 cards that let her deal damage, and 2 of those (Human Meteor and Spherical Thrusters) only work once. Compared to Scholar (by far the tankiest character thus far), who has 19/40 cards that can deal damage in some way or another. More if you count Don't Dismiss Anything/Proverbs and Axioms that can make his buddies deal damage. Doc Havoc is another good example, he is certainly the most healing focused hero (a little too much for me, in truth), and he still has a fair number of damaging cards, plus various ways to help his team mates deal damage.

I worry a little that she might often wind up being the last one standing (while very tough herself, she doesn't have many ways to transmit that to the rest of the team other than soaking highest HP damage, only one redirect card and a handful of heals). In this case, the rest of the team has been killed and she is sitting there by herself. Sure, it's gonna take seven turns for her to die, but she's trying to whittle down the boss with just Rocket Pods and a prayer. To be fair, Terror on Wheels would solve a lot of these issues, giving her good offense and a reason to heal herself, but I think she could bear to have substantially more offense.

Metallurgical Innovations is an interesting idea and I like how the flavor text explains it, but it seems a bit awkward in practice. For a start, very often you won't have anything with damage reduction out. For a second, even if you do she doesn't have many ways to deal damage, as discussed. For a third, is it intended that she can hit herself, have Hoverthrone reduce it and thus heal? Stealing her own tech?

Ordinance Disposal Officeris wierd, but makes sense with her story and look like it'd play well - she can lock down a single target (that deals a certain fairly common type of damage) more or less permanently. Good idea making it non-character. I especially like how it can finish off an Explosive Wagon in Silver Gulch safely. Personally I always found "Destroy target with X or less HP" pretty weak, this could be 3 or less HP pretty easily, but that's just me.

Spherical Manuever Thrusters tie a lot together, letting her soak damage for the team (making all her tanking stuff useful). I like that you don't have a choice, making it a bit risky, and destroying it gives a nice consolation prize. Very nice design, could possibly use a few more copies?

Reflective Wheels make sense in principle, but seems a bit open to abuse. On bosses, something like Elemental Redistributor is fair because players are smart, and can work around it. With this, the cards are dumb and will keep banging their head into it. Maybe should be destroyed when used?

I do like that this covers damage types Ordinance disposal does not, making her useful against a wide range, nice design.

Spring Load Barrier seems a bit weak overall - it is not very far from gain 2 HP, at some point. Could be bumped up to 3-4 pretty easily - or even ignore the damage entirely? Would make it a bit more interesting as you wait for a big hit, rather than this version which you're gonna use first chance you get (a hit of 1 notwithstanding, but they're rare)

Even with Frenzy of Invention, Human Meteor seems like a pretty bad deal, wiping your board for 3-5ish damage. Could possibly be double the damage? Or deal the damage to all non-heroes?

Given the lack of damage dealing effects (and the fact that most of the ones she does have are single target LIDAR tracking seems fairly weak. This may chance if she gets more damage dealing, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks so much for all your advice, as usual!

Adelphophage wrote:
Hateful Darkblack wrote:

Pun intended?

Hahahhaha. How did I not see that?

Adelphophage wrote:
Firstly, very cool idea. Even without art or much flavor text I can imagine the world's most heavily armed wheelchair hovering through the sky, like a B-52 with a kind of inefficient propulsion system.

Thank you!

Adelphophage wrote:
Almost all of her cards fixate on healing or being tough in various ways, by my count she has 7 cards that let her deal damage, and 2 of those (Human Meteor and Spherical Thrusters) only work once.

Hoo! You are so right. Okay, revised to help with that.

Adelphophage wrote:
To be fair, Terror on Wheels would solve a lot of these issues, giving her good offense and a reason to heal herself, but I think she could bear to have substantially more offense.

Yeah! Switched her default base power to the Terror on Wheels version.

Adelphophage wrote:
Metallurgical Innovations is an interesting idea and I like how the flavor text explains it, but it seems a bit awkward in practice. For a start, very often you won't have anything with damage reduction out. For a second, even if you do she doesn't have many ways to deal damage, as discussed. For a third, is it intended that she can hit herself, have Hoverthrone reduce it and thus heal? Stealing her own tech?

Yep, you're right. It gets weird fast. I just removed it. I had too many cards and too few copies of good cards anyway.

Adelphophage wrote:
Ordinance Disposal Officeris wierd, but makes sense with her story and look like it'd play well - she can lock down a single target (that deals a certain fairly common type of damage) more or less permanently. Good idea making it non-character. I especially like how it can finish off an Explosive Wagon in Silver Gulch safely. Personally I always found "Destroy target with X or less HP" pretty weak, this could be 3 or less HP pretty easily, but that's just me.

Yep! Updated to 3HP instead. This is intended so that she'll be good at disarming the various bombs you find in some decks (Sonic Mine, Explosive Wagon, etc.) which seems like an interesting and useful side function that makes sense for an EOD officer.

Adelphophage wrote:
Spherical Manuever Thrusters tie a lot together, letting her soak damage for the team (making all her tanking stuff useful). I like that you don't have a choice, making it a bit risky, and destroying it gives a nice consolation prize. Very nice design, could possibly use a few more copies?

Yeah! Added more copies. Thank you.

Adelphophage wrote:
Reflective Wheels make sense in principle, but seems a bit open to abuse. On bosses, something like Elemental Redistributor is fair because players are smart, and can work around it. With this, the cards are dumb and will keep banging their head into it. Maybe should be destroyed when used?

Just dropped it instead.

I ramped up Shock plating to do 3 damage and work multiple times, but require a discard, which hopefully will serve in a similar role, and also make it less like a copy of Wraith's Defensive Stance.

Adelphophage wrote:
Spring Load Barrier seems a bit weak overall - it is not very far from gain 2 HP, at some point. Could be bumped up to 3-4 pretty easily - or even ignore the damage entirely?

Yeah! Changed it to prevent damage instead.

Adelphophage wrote:
Even with Frenzy of Invention, Human Meteor seems like a pretty bad deal, wiping your board for 3-5ish damage. Could possibly be double the damage? Or deal the damage to all non-heroes?

Why not both? Updated to double the damage and deal it to all heroes. I think with the twin cost of destroying her equipment and dealing her a lot of damage, it's probably still worth it.

Adelphophage wrote:
Given the lack of damage dealing effects (and the fact that most of the ones she does have are single target LIDAR tracking seems fairly weak. This may chance if she gets more damage dealing, of course.

Yeah, I dropped LIDAR Tracking and replaced it with Rocket Barrage.

Also renamed Rocket Pods to Swivel Blaster and made it energy damage.

Changed Undercarriage Pincer Claw to Undercarriage Waldo Array, and it now does a little less damage, but heals her as well, since I removed some healing elsewhere.

I hope I didn't overcompensate on the damage-dealing. As-is, she can do decent damage, but not as much as primary damage dealers like Chrono-Ranger or Haka.

i'm liking her more with these Upgrades, I think. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Looking pretty solid now, I'd say - still a hell of a tank but can contribute pretty well. I like how Rocket Barrage and the new Shock Barrier give her something to spend extra cards (from Ultrafoam cradle) on.

I'd say you're probably at the stage where she's good enough for some heavy playtesting to fine-tune and turn her into a fun hero. If you get playtest cards designed at some stage I'd be interested in giving her a few tests!

Minor point - you mention Ordinance Disposal officer can get rid of things like Sonic Mine, but it doesn't stop Sonic damage, an oversight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Adelphophage wrote:
Looking pretty solid now, I'd say - still a hell of a tank but can contribute pretty well. I like how Rocket Barrage and the new Shock Barrier give her something to spend extra cards (from Ultrafoam cradle) on.

I'd say you're probably at the stage where she's good enough for some heavy playtesting to fine-tune and turn her into a fun hero. If you get playtest cards designed at some stage I'd be interested in giving her a few tests!

Thank you! I'll work on playtest cards soon.

Adelphophage wrote:
Minor point - you mention Ordinance Disposal officer can get rid of things like Sonic Mine, but it doesn't stop Sonic damage, an oversight?

Oops! Total oversight. Updated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Playtested with a group of friends and this deck went simply and smoothly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.