5 Posts

Three Days of Gettysburg (third edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Command range and change orders rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Stedt
Sweden
flag msg tools
In the beginning of the campaign Reynolds corps starts outside form the board. In my Campaign his division enter with march orders. As I understand he has got 6 in command range, and in IIB segment he got 4 in efficiency, which I read as his divisions get 3 activations since Reynolds is out of Meade's command range.

Anyway, as Reynold moves he get to move up to 40 MP's but then with reduced command range to 10, but if he only moves 10 MP's his command range would not be affected. I do not understand this reducing-thing, the rule seems to indicate that the command range is longer than 10 (in general) so how does that go with Reynold's command range of 6?

Also, the divisions under him may I understand that they may march their movement allowance*3? This would mean that his brigades will move up relatively quicker that Reynolds would he only use 10 MP's.

Then I have a question about changing orders. The confederate brigadier Davis, a coutious profile, enters with march orders. If he would attempt to change this order to advance, and succeed, he would use the AM's for the rest of the turn. Does that mean that if the Confederate march order is drawn last and he succeeds that his brigade do not get to move at all or one AM equivalent, or all numer of AM's already used for that division? And, if he rolls a 4 "loose cannon", does he retreat on hex and then stops moving for this activation?

Thanks / Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Byrne
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Mark. Let's take these issues one at a time.

-- Chain of command for purposes of determining the number of activations a division receives is complete if traced to the corps commander. Thus, while a division is penalized if its leader is not within command range of the corps commander (5.23,#2 & 5.25), there is no penalty for a corps whose commander is not within range of his army commander. Of course, in the latter case an army commander with an Initiative rating greater than zero would not be able to increase the corps commander's Efficiency.

-- Any formation or even unit entering the map under March Orders is entitled to 4 activation equivalents, regardless of all other considerations, unless the Reinforcement chart limits them, as it sometimes does (5.35). Of course, you may not want to move the formation as far as it could go.

-- I see you are using the 2014 Series Rules. While typically we expect a new rules edition to correct errors in previous editions, in the case of Rule 9.33 the 2014 edition introduced a brand new error. It should say the Corps commander's command range is reduced to zero, not 10. That is what previous editions say, and it is the only way to make sense of what follows in parentheses.

-- I assume it's the 0800 turn and you want Wadsworth's division to march beyond Reynolds' 10 MP limit, but still want to be able to change Wadsworth's orders the following turn. March Wadsworth all you want (within his limit and remembering Fatigue), and then, during the Overall Commander Movement Phase, move Reynolds so that he is stacked with Wadsworth. Hell be able to command Wadsworth the following turn (9.33). Note that Reynolds will also be able to use his +1 Efficiency rating, even though his move exceeded 10 MP the previous turn.

-- If the March AM is drawn last, and a brigadier under March orders then rolls to change orders, that brigade will not be able to move until the next turn, as no more of its Division AMs remain to be drawn for the current turn (6.25).

-- If a Cautious brigadier rolls a Loose Cannon, each unit in the brigade retreats a hex, and that is all the brigade can do. However, it would then be under Advance Orders (6.24), so remember to face the units toward a hex vertex rather than a hex side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stedt
Sweden
flag msg tools
Hi William and thank you for the excellent explanations. I do use the 2014 rules although without knowing of any more recent. I will of course get the newest version! Regarding all other questions you efficiently cleared them out for me!
Thanks / Msrk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Byrne
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to help, Mark. By the way, the 2014 rules are the most recent. There's at least one other minor problem in them -- the end of 10.67 was mangled in composition. Although the Developer has never confirmed my observation, I recommend you ignore the sentence starting with "The reverse...", as well as the Note which follows it (that Note also precedes it -- regard that instance).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stedt
Sweden
flag msg tools
Ok thanks I'll overline everything in "The reverse...on terrain takes precedence."

Good to know!

// Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.