Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
72 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Brass: Lancashire» Forums » General

Subject: Shouldn't Brass:Lancaster be a different entry on BGG than Brass (2007) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawrence Wang
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Procurer of rare and exclusive titles.
badge
I'm blue daba dee daba die daba deeeeeee daba die
mbmbmbmbmb
It's like a second edition with new art, new components and even revisions on rules. E.g. new rules for 2 players and new VP for stage 1 cotton mill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot find Brass Birmingham on BGG...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
... or I won't bear with you!
badge
Phil Eklund's games are like a bar of gold from a complete stranger.
mbmbmbmbmb
Even Kickstarter versions are forced to have a separate entry. This is a second edition with updated rules. It must be a separate entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
To me the name change is the worst.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juho Snellman
Switzerland
Zurich
Zurich
flag msg tools
mb
Straddllw wrote:
It's like a second edition with new art, new components and even revisions on rules. E.g. new rules for 2 players and new VP for stage 1 cotton mill.

Out of the four listed changes, three are clearly too trivial to justify a split. But the player count change might be an exception. Hard to say for sure until there's some actual details rather than Kickstarter marketing. (Though that also makes this title change feel very premature).

I say "clearly", even though one can always find precedents in either direction. But for example Railroad Tycoon and Railways of the World got merged (despite starting off as different game entries), had several rules changes and added a completely new map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:

Seems pretty disrepectful of the decade of gameplay that's gone before to officially change its name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure there are enough differences to warrant a new entry but the name change make absolute no sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is ther no talk of giving Brass Birmingham its own entry? AFAIK this *is* more another game than Brass, and would deserve it. More so, if deviation from the original is the criterium, than Lancashire in my opinion.

Anyway, strange nobody mentions this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Bizarro Sentieiro
Portugal
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
#WYGAME
badge
#NBS#
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:

This.

If the game is different give it a new entry and a new name.
If the game is mostly the same and will not get a new entry, PLEASE don't rename it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Mikael Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sentieiro wrote:
If the game is mostly the same and will not get a new entry, PLEASE don't rename it.
Well, at least renaming it is consistent with how they renamed the "Settlers of Catan" entry to "Catan" - that is, use the latest published name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Thank you for your recent proposal to change the representative image
for Brass: Lancashire.
Your proposal has been declined.

Anyone else want to start lobbying to change the image back as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the new one stays a version, then the default title and image are correct. It comes down to whether it stays a version, or a separate entry.

unic wrote:
Sentieiro wrote:
Well, at least renaming it is consistent with how they renamed the "Settlers of Catan" entry to "Catan" - that is, use the latest published name.

TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Quote:
Thank you for your recent proposal to change the representative image
for Brass: Lancashire.
Your proposal has been declined.

Anyone else want to start lobbying to change the image back as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
unic wrote:
Sentieiro wrote:

Except Brass : Lancashire is not a published game.
For all we know, this may just be a new creative way to bring some hype on a Kickstarter campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to chime in to say the decision to keep them one entry was that of the boardgamegeek admins.

We attempted to create a new separate page and the request was rejected. Ultimately the BGG admins feel that the rules changes in Roxley's version do not merit the need for a new page, and thus have considered it a "new version". We do see the logic in this.

We have put "Lancashire" as a subtitle on the cover of the box so that consumers can very clearly understand the difference between Roxley's new version of Lancashire, and Birmingham.

Of course Roxley is happy with BGG calling this page whatever they feel is correct.

After discussing this issue with Martin Wallace, we are all satisfied with the current setup and yield to BGG's expertise in these matters.

Gavan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Larsen
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a little irrational how much it annoys me to see the name change for Brass but I can't get over it. I don't know if it needs it's own entry on bgg, but I really don't like that it has taken over the old entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Larsen
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RoosterJuice wrote:

We have put "Lancashire" as a subtitle on the cover of the box so that consumers can very clearly understand the difference between Roxley's new version of Lancashire, and Birmingham.

Wouldn't calling one Brass and the other Brass: Birmingham accomplish the exact same thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dekedagger wrote:
RoosterJuice wrote:

Wouldn't calling one Brass and the other Brass: Birmingham accomplish the exact same thing?

The title is Brass. We simply state the area below the title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tsar Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
afafard wrote:
unic wrote:
Sentieiro wrote:

Except Brass : Lancashire is not a published game.
For all we know, this may just be a new creative way to bring some hype on a Kickstarter campaign.
This!!!!

It is one thing to put a brand new game from Kickstarter on BGG.

But when a very established game, such as Brass is getting a new version developed for possible distribution, why screw up the established version (with a name change and game image) until the game is actually released.

There is a difference. BGG wants consistency, but if they can't see there is a difference, then it doesn't produce consistency, it produces chaos.

The worst case was Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery. They changed the name and game image for that game for a new version, and it wasn't released for FOUR years. So we had to look at a name change and cover that didn't exist for four years for an established game. People were asking questions like how can I find this game? People come to BGG for answers, and all they do is get confused. Because we had to tell them, yeah it doesn't exist...it's really this name and this game image...BGG is just being moronic.

And then after four years, what did they do, they created a new entry anyway Empires: Age of Discovery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gerit wrote:
Why is ther no talk of giving Brass Birmingham its own entry? AFAIK this *is* more another game than Brass, and would deserve it. More so, if deviation from the original is the criterium, than Lancashire in my opinion.

Anyway, strange nobody mentions this game.

I am pretty sure that Brass:Birmingham will get its own entry. Especially, since it is sold separately in the Kickstarter.

I do not mind changing the name or the picture for the existing Brass entry. I would mind if Brass:Lancashire got its own entry. Very small changes do not make it a different game. I am always a bit annoyed, that there are multiple entries for Through the Ages or War of the Ring in the top 100. At least the lower ranked entry should be unranked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Babis Tsimoris
Greece
Salonica
flag msg tools
Be the Miracle!
badge
There is no knowledge that is not power
mbmbmbmbmb
what is Birmingham?? Is also another edition of brass to come out?? surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I do not mind changing the name or the picture for the existing Brass entry. I would mind if Brass:Lancashire got its own entry. Very small changes do not make it a different game. I am always a bit annoyed, that there are multiple entries for Through the Ages or War of the Ring in the top 100. At least the lower ranked entry should be unranked.

I hypothesize that this is a very real concern, but haven't asked them. The potential for multiple versions of the same game in the top 100 is a bit strange.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K R X
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I'm not concerned about it. Although it would of been interesting to see how the geek rating may of changed with updated art. (Brass in the top 10 again?!)

But regardless, doesn't Brass: Birmingham need it's own entry?

Just like other standalone expansions have gotten? I mean, can we even call Birmingham an expansion at this point? Or just the next game in a series of games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KRX3 wrote:
I'm not concerned about it. Although it would of been interesting to see how the geek rating may of changed with updated art. (Brass in the top 10 again?!)

But regardless, doesn't Brass: Birmingham need it's own entry?

Just like other standalone expansions have gotten? I mean, can we even call Birmingham an expansion at this point? Or just the next game in a series of games?

Birmingham will get it's own entry. It is not an expansion, it is a completely new game based on the same core system. We will be adding an entry for it in the next few days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Iordache
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on Gavan's comments above, I've submitted a correction for default name of Brass on BGG.
We'll see how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Wang
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Procurer of rare and exclusive titles.
badge
I'm blue daba dee daba die daba deeeeeee daba die
mbmbmbmbmb
And yet we have War of the Ring 1st vs 2nd edition and there's not much difference there compared to Through the Ages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.