10 Posts

T.I.M.E Stories: A Prophecy of Dragons» Forums » Rules

Subject: SPOILERS: Did we play this right? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dev Null
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had our first runthrough tonight. Picked characters, checked in at the pub, and then went straight to the markets, because every good adventurer knows you gots to spend all the golds. Found the magic portal to the castle, which warned us that it's quite deadly unless you have two mages. We had two mages, so we figured we'd stumbled on the right path for our party, and jumped through the gate. We're not quite sure we did the time points correctly while we were in the void.

We spend a time point: Two fighty types took a hp each. Wizard and healer got partway to escaping their cards; wizard also gets a skull and takes a damage (which is quite likely.)

We spent a time point: Two fighty types took a hp each. Wizard and healer escape their cards.

We spent a time point: Two fighty types took a hp each. Wizard and healer move to rescue the other two.

We spent a time point: Two fighty types took a hp each. Note that they're each 4hp down, and this is the first time there's even a chance either could be released, muchtheless act. Wizard (me) flubs his roll and dies (started the room a hp down.)

Total party wipe ensues over another 4 turns with basically no hope..

It doesn't seem like we were particularly unlucky, and we had a party that might-as-well have been designed to take this path. The path murdered us all, and even if it hadn't, we'd have burnt through a third of our total time points sitting in this one room rolling dice, with half the party not allowed to participate at all. Did we really play that right? We have to spend a TP - and anyone without magic has to lose a HP - before every time one of the casters rolls dice _and_ every time anyone moves? Seems a little... harsh.

I'm hoping I can convince my friends to have another try, but I'm not sure I like my chances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
first there are other ways, so you don't need to go there at all

In the fourth round you could roll first for the mages, and if they defeat the card, fighters would get no damage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Jack, the Mages can go first each TU so if they defeat the opponents, the fighters won't get damaged that final TU.

Obviously this would be easier with only 3 players. It does sound difficult with 4... we went a different path.

Edit: although there may be ways to prepare...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dev Null
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working from memory, but I'm fairly certain that the non-mages took damage when a time point was spent - which means the beginning of the round, before anyone takes any actions. Maybe we did that wrong.

Side note: if you all decide not to take any actions at a location, do you still need to spend a TP there? E.g., we all turned up at the tavern at the start of the game, and no one wanted to do anything that involved moving cards or rolling dice; do we still spend a TP before we can move on?

Not sure I'm going to be able to talk the group into trying again - we basically spent an hour setting up to walk through the first door we saw (which basically had an enormous neon sign on it saying "your party should go here") and got "Rocks fall; everybody dies. Roll a new character." It was not a fun start to the evening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dev Null wrote:
I'm working from memory, but I'm fairly certain that the non-mages took damage when a time point was spent - which means the beginning of the round, before anyone takes any actions. Maybe we did that wrong.

As your Action you can do nothing and the you loose a life, because you are on a spot with skulls.
But you can decide for your own who is going when.

Dev Null wrote:

Side note: if you all decide not to take any actions at a location, do you still need to spend a TP there? E.g., we all turned up at the tavern at the start of the game, and no one wanted to do anything that involved moving cards or rolling dice; do we still spend a TP before we can move on?

no, you can just leave immediately, just roll the die and go on
Note that the first look at cards cost no time

Dev Null wrote:

Not sure I'm going to be able to talk the group into trying again - we basically spent an hour setting up to walk through the first door we saw (which basically had an enormous neon sign on it saying "your party should go here") and got "Rocks fall; everybody dies. Roll a new character." It was not a fun start to the evening.

I'm sorry to hear that, where they new to TS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dev Null
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Spirio wrote:

no, you can just leave immediately, just roll the die and go on
Note that the first look at cards cost no time

Thats what we thought, but I figured I might as well confirm it; thanks!

Jack Spirio wrote:
Dev Null wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that, where they new to TS?

We had all done the scenario in the game box together; this was our first expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
did they liked Asylum?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dev Null
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly? Enough that we bought an expansion I guess, but most of the group was fairly annoyed by the trial-and-error nature of the thing. The perception was that there was no possible way we could have succeeded in the allotted time the first time through, unless we skipped half the content randomly and just happened to miraculously pick all of the correct bits to explore. Instead we felt doomed to failure the first couple of runs while (we should have been) taking extensive notes, so that by a third run-through we knew exactly where to go, what things to collect, and what doors not to open. You didn't feel like there was a puzzle you could have solved or a deduction you could have made - or really even better rolls you could have rolled - that would have led you to the correct path the first time; it was just a matter of opening every door and noting down which ones killed you or wasted your time, so you didn't go back there on your "real" run.

This experience with the expansion has really driven that feeling home. We made the most logical deduction we could see based on the story fluff, didn't even roll that spectacularly badly, and were wiped out without getting to do anything fun first. Lesson learned; next try don't go through that door no matter what. One of our players described it as being like one of those Flash games where you just click everything to see what it does, and then come back to play again to pick what you now know are the right options. It feels like a cheap way to stretch out the playtime on what is otherwise a fairly meagre amount of content; make us run through the same stuff three times. Yes, we get that "go back and try again" is thematically appropriate for a time travel game, but that doesn't make the grind any fun...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Piccoli
Argentina
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dev Null wrote:

We spent a time point: Two fighty types took a hp each. Note that they're each 4hp down, and this is the first time there's even a chance either could be released, muchtheless act. Wizard (me) flubs his roll and dies (started the room a hp down.)

Total party wipe ensues over another 4 turns with basically no hope..

We chose this path twice, not sure if it was the best of ideas, but we managed to get through both times. It is a massive TU and time drain, but it is the quickest of all routes to get to the castle. If you go with two mages and one of them dies, you're in big trouble. Note that you can build a party with three characters with a magic trait, minimizing risks. The issue with that, is that the party will be unbalanced for the rest of the run.

The rules in this scenario were confusing at times, due to bad wording/translation on some of the cards, or (even worse), missing text. So we had many doubts about how this location/void actually worked. We played by the same rules as you, except for one which could make a big difference. If I recall correctly, the A card said that the non-mage characters are paralized and taking damage "WHILE ALONE" on their cards. So when mages came to the rescue to their cards, we assumed they stopped taking damage per TU spent.

Maybe we got that wrong, since the core rules state that when you are in a fight with skull shields left and choose to do nothing, you take damage.

Also a good strategy here is to send the mages to the least dangerous and time consuming spaces, so they can unravel the magic traps there and go quickly to rescue their companions. How would you know this the first time without looking at the cards? Well, al least in our experience, cards that looked dangerous, where actually the most dangerous ones. The most dangerous entity here is the one that looks like a big shrieking skull, and its card is the most menacing looking, so at least that makes sense.

I don't remember if the cards had locks on them, but in this scenario you can move away from one of this cards, by taking one point of damage. Since card A forces the team to split, the mage with more HP could lose a life point and go straight away in the rescue of the weakest of non-mage characters.

One other thing that wasn't clear, is that you can't use spells against this cards. It is a test using the magic trait of the characters, so the wizard cannot fireball his way through. A couple of bad rolls, and he's dead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dev Null
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lucasmaxi wrote:

One other thing that wasn't clear, is that you can't use spells against this cards. It is a test using the magic trait of the characters, so the wizard cannot fireball his way through. A couple of bad rolls, and he's dead.

Well that's a basic characteristic of the wizard in any case. Rolling four dice for magic tests he's going to roll a skull more often than not. With a threshold of one he's going to take a damage any time there is a skull present and he doesn't instantly win.

We did eventually end up playing again and winning. Having learnt our lesson, we ditched the wizard and went nowhere near the portal. We nearly lost again on time, one TU short of the midway point, before remembering we had a bonus time token from the previous adventure. I have to say; if we'd run out of time, started over again, got back to exactly the same point by essentially the same route, and then realized that we'd missed out the first time by a single TU? There would have been some seriously unhappy people in the room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.