Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Siddons-Smith
United Kingdom
derby
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apart from the obvious theme change how is this different to Martins previous 2 games. Does this fix the problems people have noted?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
It does. The end is sort of fixed in that the game only lasts a certain amount of total shuffles so the players control the length together in that way. Battles are solved in the round the occur so only cards you already have in your hand and have set aside on your board can be used so you won't see any prolonged stalemates. I'm not that fond of the variable player powers added but it's still the best game in the series I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:
Battles are solved in the round the occur so only cards you already have in your hand and have set aside on your board can be used so you won't see any prolonged stalemates.

I don't think that it was prolonged stalemates that were a problem in Mythtopia; it was the prolonged stalemates that prevented the game from finishing that were the problem!

Specifically:

- The main thing people complain about with A Few Acres of Snow is the so-called "Halifax Hammer" strategy which is supposedly uncounterable. Much has been written on the subject relating to that game, but the problem doesn't exist in Mythtopia or A Handful of Stars because there's a randomised setup (complete with flaky excuse as to why there's a randomised setup).

- The main thing people complain about with Mythtopia is that between evenly-matched players the game could potentially go on forever. There are various house rules that resolve this in better or worse ways, but the problem doesn't exist in A Handful of Stars because it has a strict end-of-game timer.

- The main thing that people complain about so far with A Handful of Stars is that the player races all have silly names; this will almost certainly be fixed in the game that Fantasy Flight release using the same mechanics in a year or two. So long as you like the Twilight Imperium race names or Star Wars, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Never having discovered the Halifax Hammer that wasn't the issue for me in A Few Acres, the prolonged stalemate and the feeling of doing the same thing over and over were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
"Games that want to get out."
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
in the game that Fantasy Flight release using the same mechanics in a year or two.

What is this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
binge gamer wrote:
Bichatse wrote:
in the game that Fantasy Flight release using the same mechanics in a year or two.

What is this?

Wallace has sold the design of HOS to fantasy flight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.